planks & tressles v stilts

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmo72

wots the general method of you guys when u do ceilings . do u spend time batoning the room out or just use stilts ... i work on my own and would struggle to get the stilts on and off to ie wash bucket out and do 2nd mix . but sometimes u can spend half ur time batoning the room out and not have enough to do a big big ceiling .. then if you do use baton and trellises you wouldn,t need a van u would prob need a lorry  ;D
p.s tried stilts once it frightened the life out of me and i couldn,t wait to get em off

Re: batons & trellises v stilts

get yerself a hop up from wickes mate, you only got 2 arms and you can only be in one place at one time, just keep kicking it round the room...

i work by myself most of the time and use stilts for all my ceilings, they're fantastic once you get used to them.

you must be very slim using baton nd trellis i'd recommend planks and tressels lol only joking stilts are easy to get down off so would definately go for them its 20 sec job either that or steps if your quick. plank out if it makes it comfortable with that. we used to before stilts

ive never used stilts before or seen anyone use them, are they easy to handle? does they take a lot of practise?

you just use one of those hop ups to do full ceilings bigsegs . how dya manage when you come to polishing off ? was taught & told the longer the stroke the better... wot about when u go into some of these old houses when the ceilings are a lot higher . aand kicking the hop up around wont it drag your dust sheets about to ??????

pretty simple mate, just make sure there's no traps on the floor ;)

Ive got stilts but don't use them that often, good when uve got a big open space i find, they are quite easy to get the hang of..my old man refuses point blank to go on them thinks he'l break his neck  ;D

l couldn't get on with them at first. but given time bit of practise small ceilings to start you'd be surprised how quick you get used to them. so much quicker.. ;D you sort of brace yourself with your trowel when laying it on, if that makes sense..

my stilts make my mony i get on them slap a few celings on. then i get my lad to put botoms of walls on and i do tops.just make shoure u get a splash bucket on ur spot board or up high their like second nature to me now and i would miss them if i didnt have them. just be organised if ur on ur own geting up and down will become easy. can do about 3 or 4 celings at 1ns on stilts mibi 2-3 with out them add that up over a few mounths big difrense. i leave my work mate standing when it comes to ceilings .

I carry 8 short tressels and normally nick planks off the scaffold,I don't like doing ceings off hop ups as i think they come out better if you can walk them through,as for stilts never tried them

I carry 8 short tressels and normally nick planks off the scaffold,I don't like doing ceings off hop ups as i think they come out better if you can walk them through,as for stilts never tried them

I tend to agree decking a ceilling out gets better results .

the reason i chose to use stilts over planks and trestle was stilts take up less room, less time consuming and cheaper.

i found them quite easy to use, just got to be careful when walking on sheets and tarps. also be careful when using them in kitchens because they could scratch cupboard doors and the edge of the work surface

do you use them to lay on plaster or too trowel off or both,if both how high is your spot table if you got stilts on?

yeah use them for laying on and troweling up. dont use a spot stand, i use a platform with a flex bucket for the mix and 15 litre bucket for cleaning and other trowels on the side of the bucket.

dont know were to buy a spot stand..... were did u get your

forget stilts youll use them 1 in 20 jobs if youre lucky !

so are you saying you only do one ceiling in every 20 jobs? as i have said on here time and time again those who slate stilts have either never tried them or simply cant use them believe me they are simple to use the finish is better and also quicker than setting out boards etc etc

leads, materials in the way, slippy floors, and i like a good run of ceilings to merit getting them on or ill just use a hop up .........or if it's an awkward hight say 2.8 -3.3 high , if its a ceiling upto 35m ill be getting walls on aswell so i'd just be taking them off and putting them back on again

Status
Not open for further replies.