Permashape?!?!

CRA90

Evening gents, this has more than likely been covered a ton of times .. buuuut, is there a slight curve in the permashape SS?
After a new trowl.
Or is it just like any other trowl.

Got an Ox trowl, found it shite, as its been used for a few weeks and the back is bowing. Piece of shite if you ask me.

Cheers

POPCORN!!!.gif

Got a nice Draper trowel! Offers accepted? Got a hard plastic handle no rivets from what I can see possibly rusty old clouts! Happy bidding (y)

Evening gents, this has more than likely been covered a ton of times .. buuuut, is there a slight curve in the permashape SS?

Yes, it slightly curves along its length (so the belly touches the wall slightly before the heel and toe do). This curve is not just on the blade itself - the actual shank itself is slightly curved, so that it will hold the blade in that slight curve for the usable lifetime of the trowel.

In addition to the lengthways curve, the blade also curves slightly , widthways, so the centreline of the trowel (i.e. directly beneath the shank) touches slightly before the left and right edges of the blade do.

When you press the curved trowel edge against the wall, the blade edge conforms, straight, to the wall, with only light pressure. In other words, the blade curves are subtle enough (unless you're unlucky and you get a bad one) and flexible enough that you don't end up with a dished plaster surface, when you actually use the trowel.

The edges of the blade still need breaking in, though - they're not machine-chamfered like the Ragni Featheredge, Nela Elite, BeroXpert etc. laying-on trowels.

Yes, it slightly curves along its length (so the belly touches the wall slightly before the heel and toe do). This curve is not just on the blade itself - the actual shank itself is slightly curved, so that it will hold the blade in that slight curve for the usable lifetime of the trowel.

In addition to the lengthways curve, the blade also curves slightly , widthways, so the centreline of the trowel (i.e. directly beneath the shank) touches slightly before the left and right edges of the blade do.

When you press the curved trowel edge against the wall, the blade edge conforms, straight, to the wall, with only light pressure. In other words, the blade curves are subtle enough (unless you're unlucky and you get a bad one) and flexible enough that you don't end up with a dished plaster surface, when you actually use the trowel.

The edges of the blade still need breaking in, though - they're not machine-chamfered like the Ragni Featheredge, Nela Elite, BeroXpert etc. laying-on trowels.
What an exquisite explanation of the Permashape trowel.

Who knew?

Your 100% in sales ir summet defi not a spread

Sorry for the blurry pics - my cameras autofocus is crap.

This is a 13" SS Permashape.

Lengthways (the actual curve is smooth and gradual, but the pic makes it look more abrupt than it really is):

13 inch Permashape length curve.jpg

Toe (again, the lens distortion makes the curve look more severe than it really is):

13 inch Permashape toe curve.jpg

and yes, I know it needs a soak in bicarb! :chica:

Last edited:
I have to put my hand up and admit an error with what I said above.

I bought a 16" Permashape today (SS) and it does have machine-chamfered edges. Odd, as I definitely don't recall my 13" being chamfered.

Hope I didn't unnecessarily muddy the water for you, @CRA90

I have to put my hand up and admit an error with what I said above.

I bought a 16" Permashape today (SS) and it does have machine-chamfered edges. Odd, as I definitely don't recall my 13" being chamfered.

Hope I didn't unnecessarily muddy the water for you, @CRA90
They're all chamfered and always have been you Muppet. That's why they say "pre worn, ready to use straight from the box", which is pretty much true in my experience.