pebble dash top coat building sand or plastering sand

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

dash1

should I be using building sand or plastering sand in the top coat to which the pebble dash is thrown at
the plastering sand produces a green shade as the sand is gold
any disadvantages of using building sand
what is the best ratio to mix

Avoid building sand for rendering as it is too soft. I sometimes use it if the plastering sand is very sharp but at a maximum 20% building sand.

Lime and a plasticizer will soften your mix up.

I always use normal building sand, and I mix the top coat 5-1 with a touch of lime , My main line of work is people dash and never had any problems with that ratio. Hope that helps :RpS_thumbup:

im using a golden gravel 10mm with probabaly pea gravel 10mm mix prob 2:10 ratio
why is lime added as im using a plasticiser liquid
my problem is my old dashing cement is gold on the surface but im sure normal building sand was used in the mix, if I use a plastering sand the mix is normaly a yellow/green shade rather than the normal cement grey look

Lime is for if you used sharp sand instead of building sand to give it some plasticity., have considered whoever dashed it last dyed the cement? Adding buff dye would make it go more like gold.

definitely no buff dye in the cement as it is only on the surface
I spoke to the previous owner of the house today and he mentioned he used Portland cement with building sand with no colouring, he seems to think the gold colour on the surface is from the stones releasing their own colour with time

Decided to do the whole house so it all matches but should I use plastering sand for the final coat or building sand and what are the differences between the two

they wont deliver from canary islands
I cant get a definite on this varying opinions I think im going to use plastering sand 1:5 with cement and go from there, hope it don't fall of lol

Status
Not open for further replies.