Payment

Members online

No members online now.
How long is a reasonable amount of time to wait for a job to be paid
It was a 3 wk job (a decent amount of cash) and I've now waited 3 wks for the payment

Payment terms must be settled in writing before work commence and agreed. If the client not playing by it, send a reminder then get a solicitor to send a letter out to them that usually does the trick.

Most I've waited before is 2 wks and hacked off with that at the time
I was emailed last wk stating it would be paid at the beginning of this wk so waited no probs, I then sent a text giving them a gentle reminder
Then got a text back that it was been sorted this wk
Then I got a text apologising etc etc
So I sent one back this morning saying 3 weeks was sufficient in paying an invoice and I wanted paying asap
Then the last reply was I was on top of their list and it would be payed next wk!!
Not thinking of solicitors ...yet

Most I've waited before is 2 wks and hacked off with that at the time
I was emailed last wk stating it would be paid at the beginning of this wk so waited no probs, I then sent a text giving them a gentle reminder
Then got a text back that it was been sorted this wk
Then I got a text apologising etc etc
So I sent one back this morning saying 3 weeks was sufficient in paying an invoice and I wanted paying asap
Then the last reply was I was on top of their list and it would be payed next wk!!
Not thinking of solicitors ...yet
I would go and pick it up

Who are these c****.... top of their list, so the other weeks you getting your money wasn't important. Bet getting you there asap was important though. This isn't site work? That's a different ball game

As long as it takes to drive the old dear down to the bank and for her to go in and withdraw her life savings to pay for the unnecessary work i have talked her into having done.(y)

It's a builder with lots more work promised for the future and yea your right they needed me pretty quick at the time, I was quiet at the time so jumped on it, 1st time working for a builder

It's a builder with lots more work promised for the future and yea your right they needed me pretty quick at the time, I was quiet at the time so jumped on it, 1st time working for a builder
That's the reason I hate working for them, they want you pronto, dick about the money and cis waste of time most of them, and always moan about price or day rate

Oh dear sorry to say but I doubt your getting payed are you in Manchester?

Don't usually agree a payment date, always presume as soon as jobs complete and customer is happy
No probs generally
Never presume when your going to get your money off a job,I don't.Make a deal at the start when your due your money and that's it.It's a good habit to get into and it's unfortunately necessary because there are a small few who will mess around.

Tell him you'll call round his house for it over the weekend. Phone him. Don't text. Sounds like you're scared of asking for your own money.

Just thinking flynnyman if they weren't going to cough up they wouldn't bother texting, emailing apologising etc surly they'd just go f**k him?

I'm owed thousands just now from a guy who last year gave me more work than anyone else and pays decent rates. He paid me a grand last week and admitted he's struggling just now as he's owed so much in but I won't hassle him too much as I know I'll get it. It's just one of the minus points of working for yourself.

Just thinking flynnyman if they weren't going to cough up they wouldn't bother texting, emailing apologising etc surly they'd just go f**k him?
I got stung for a weeks wage when I left a previous employer, he never answered the phone for weeks, but kept texting now n again saying he'd square me when builder squared him then after 3-4weeks just nothing, then folded his Plastering business, left me no wages, least I got 50 quid for a pair of stilts of his, better than nothing I suppose

Cheers flynnyman, cheered me right up!
based in Sheffield
Sorry mate but unless they are an absolutely massive outfit with over a hundred staff there should be no need for this delay, the fact they didn't have a plasterer and need it last minute always sets alarm bells for me, you've never worked for them and they are treating you like this, rather than pay the day your finished to keep hold of you and make you feel appreciated they are blowing smile up your arse with silly excuses a big outfit would use, so are they are a big outfit?

You would think but everyone I know who has been ripped off this is the usual thing for the first three weeks till they get annoyed then the excuse the work wasn't up to scratch comes next.

I'm generally a good judge of character and still think I'll get it, just when
He's busy so don't think he'll be folding anytime soon, but u never know!
I've done big quotes before and told them I wanted paying after each room, always thought that was fair enough

Not a massive outfit but a recommended local guy and absolutely agree there's no excuse
As for not having a plasterer he does a couple, but the job was a couple of weeks over, they needed to get to their other jobs
Last 2 things I said to him before I left was if he was happy with the work, which he was and payment which his missus deals with all the invoices, she runs the business with him

Not a massive outfit but a recommended local guy and absolutely agree there's no excuse
As for not having a plasterer he does a couple, but the job was a couple of weeks over, they needed to get to their other jobs
Last 2 things I said to him before I left was if he was happy with the work, which he was and payment which his missus deals with all the invoices, she runs the business with him
Sounds like a builder chasing his arse

Phone him, tell him you have commitments to fulfill and you'll pop round for your money at 7am....gives him time to get it for you tonight

Or find your inner Begbie!
IMG_4493.PNG

There's been a lot of this on LinkedIn recently unfortunately it's usually the fella who works his fingers to the bone who loses out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll never work for builders or other trades, unless I deal directly with the customer. They get the price they pay me. I'd rather lose a job than chase my money.

No excuses bud you know in your own heart if you done a good job,if so stick ur hand out,it should of been there the min you brushed up!id be going round to his expecting payment or a trip for him to the nearest hospital.........

I'll never work for builders or other trades, unless I deal directly with the customer. They get the price they pay me. I'd rather lose a job than chase my money.
You won't go far with that attitude mate, my biggest payers are builders and other trades.