Paying employee's

solway

Wondering what way all you employers pay ye're workers. Is it by the hour or just by the days worked. Iv 1 out of the 12 fellas with me and lately hes not playing ball. Over the summer months he used to drop his son to work in the morning before he arrived on site 3 mornings a week and collect him 3 evenings a week. It would b 20 to 9 b4 he was laying on stuff these mornings and he'd be gone at 4.15 the evenings he had to pick him up. We work 8-5 Mon to Fri. I kind of minded but I said it was ok so I let it slide but in truth I was down 15 hours work a week. I don't deduct him anything for the time missed. He takes home a nice wage now mind but today he approached me and said hes looking for a pay rise. My jaw dropped. You cheeky f#cker I said to myself. His son is back at school since last week. Tomorrow he has to f#ck off at 3.30 to get his wife's car serviced. Usually his work output is very good but lately he is just not doing it. He's with me for over a year and a 1st class plasterer but lately really really really pi##ing me off. I suppose the old saying comes to fruition here,give them an inch and they will take a mile. Thinking of now putting all my employees on paid by the hour. What would you fellas do. Easy to say give him the flick but I need all the men I have.

Can't you just say to him if you want to come and go as you please then you need go work for yourself. Hes no good on your books if it's on his terms, needs to be on your terms.

You should have nipped this in the bud,put him on an hourly rate or else do the proper hours.

When I was employed in my old place....
Paid by the hour used to have to do a timesheet too.
.come in late.. Docked!leave early..docked!
After about 15 years my boss became a bit more relaxed about it.....sometimes:crying:
Still used to skin you for going to a funeral... Cuntt:D

f**k working 8-5 the whole reason I left my old job....did 8.40am to 1.50pm today

I pick my kids up from school on a weds. Its not negotiable, always been upfront about this when working on a day rate. And only charge half day that day. That's how I've always worked it...
Mind you still had rucks about it when I've packed up my tools! Try not to work for others, as I've found it causes problems....

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

He is self employed but working for me on a day rate. He won't go on price as he is cribbing about his body not up to it. He's 41 and healthy. Jesus Christ the more I write the more I see how handy he has it.

if he has got a room to do that day, which is a day's work, it doesn't matter if he puts on at 10am as long as it's finished and is quality. That's my opinion. A day's work is a day's work.

If I came onsite to be moaned at at 8.30 for not putting on by then I'd tell you to poke it and go for a fry up lol relaxed as hell with all my lads, only rules are >

Job gets finished on schedule (unless something unforeseen or out of our control)

Work is finished to a standard

Everything is left clean

The times they come and go and what they choose to do is up to them, as long as my clients are happy I don't care.

there was a big time plastering contractor in ipswich, oconnells, they had a couple of hundred men on day work. he paid them the union rates with a bonus payment. the extra hours they made were split 50/50 with the firm. the men worked hard but only one got rich.

Sounds like you've been sound with him ..

He's just got nice & comfy just need to bring his slippers in
Had a chap similar In 9 off at. 2.00 to pick kids up & booking 8 hrs
Never did another job for me !
I just pay price.Or hourly no piss taking then(y)

He is self employed but working for me on a day rate. He won't go on price as he is cribbing about his body not up to it. He's 41 and healthy. Jesus Christ the more I write the more I see how handy he has it.

Your a tool for putting up with it tbh. I'd send him on his way.

Ah...he's not an employee then?? Different ball game there
You don't own him(y)..Oh the joys..lol

Get rid otherwise all he will do is carry on pushing it and if you keep dismissing It the other lads will eventually end up doing the same or pissing off then youl be stuck with the pissss taker because youl have no other lads to do work for you.

I remember them Malc what happened to them

archi oconnell lost his mind, none of his office staff could run the business the way that he had.
in a recession the firm got let down with other companies holding on to huge sums of money. he had 16 screed pumps and a k screed licence, firms owed money to him and promised that payment was immanent, he would order more k screed for the next contract and the payment did not show up. the firm was bust, his daughter who owns ceramic tiles suffolk, pumped money into oconnells to keep it going, archi died, oconnells paid their debts and shut the gates.

Sad state of affairs i remember them doing the screening in leaden hall street London

ive 8 on for me, I'm not an employer....I'm a social worker, bank, shoulder to cry on etc etc, but the solid base of it all is trust, with out that you've got no basis. staff make the business, any funny business and there down the road.

i pay per day. were on site for 8 and gone by 4. if were on an hours drive home we leave by 3 hopefully.
im pretty flexi. if i set a task and their done by 2. great go home.

other days they are there til 5.

but its swings and round abouts. they have the odd gear and van use for weekends. if they got docs/dentist/childcare we work it out.

happy force is a productive force

You need to be having words with him really to see his point of view.
If you don't like what you hear or get what you want then he can leave can't he!
You say it's 15 hours lost but is he doing enough work when he's actually in?
Something tells me you don't think so or you wouldn't be moaning.
If he's getting a room done still a day your getting your money's worth easy and just being greedy in my opinion.
The only people I know who do 8-5 are employees. No subbie I know does 8-5, all my lads do 8-4. If they work over by a hour or so they will get extra.
They can either do a job in 2 easy days for normal rate or one hard one and get extra. I don't tell them that, that's up to them to suss out for themselves.
You can't have your cake and eat it.
If he's not making you money then sack him off, if he his then maybe it's a small token to pay for the money he earns you.
If he's not making you much pull him first.
I always say it's best to talk. People don't know there's a problem if they don't think one exists do they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most ain't got it these days and I probably went through it myself when I thought I knew everything and I didn't wanted more money complained at how much we was doing and only getting 80 a day while bloke I was with was creaming it what I didn't realise then what I know now is it's sort of a pay back because he taught me a trade for life he was hard on me a lot harder than some of the others we had with us and few years after we parted ways but kept in touch I asked why was he hard on me but not the others his reply was cos they was going no where and you was and have and it was a tough love approach if I could go back and see an 18 year old me I would give him a slap that's why with youngsters I get given by companies I do work for I try to Instil in them it won't always be crap and you got it easy compared to what I had,think it's purely generation thing and as for pay under 18 get 40 a day over 18 get 50 and they think I'm robbing them

ive 8 on for me, I'm not an employer....I'm a social worker, bank, shoulder to cry on etc etc, but the solid base of it all is trust, with out that you've got no basis. staff make the business, any funny business and there down the road.
I once got told by a bloke I'm gonna give you my respect you haven't got to earn it cos once you lose it it's harder to get it back

Jgreen I'm more than fair with him. The 1st 9 months there wasn't a bother. Everyone needs a half hour off here and there over the work year. Iv no problem with that. Jesus we all have other things going on outside of work but lately he is taking the p#ss. He ain't getting as much work done these days as before. The way it works is 8-5 for x amount a day. If u want to pay men a days wage from 8-2 that's ur business but we agreed 8-5. If I told him to head home at 2 I'd pay him for the full day. It started with I need to head away 15 minutes early this evening to I'll b 15 minutes late in the morning and has now gone to 15 hours missing in the week. As pagey says its about respect. He had my respect but lately it's declining. I play ball with all my worker's so long as they do an honest days work for an honest days pay. I'll lend them my teleporter,mixer,trailer,any tools whenever they want because I respect them and the work they do for me. Iv lads with me for over 10 years and lads with me just 2 month's and they don't carry on the same as him. I'm not being greedy but at the end of the day I'm running a business and deadlines need to be met. I know he can meet those deadlines but lately he's not.

Jgreen I'm more than fair with him. The 1st 9 months there wasn't a bother. Everyone needs a half hour off here and there over the work year. Iv no problem with that. Jesus we all have other things going on outside of work but lately he is taking the p#ss. He ain't getting as much work done these days as before. The way it works is 8-5 for x amount a day. If u want to pay men a days wage from 8-2 that's ur business but we agreed 8-5. If I told him to head home at 2 I'd pay him for the full day. It started with I need to head away 15 minutes early this evening to I'll b 15 minutes late in the morning and has now gone to 15 hours missing in the week. As pagey says its about respect. He had my respect but lately it's declining. I play ball with all my worker's so long as they do an honest days work for an honest days pay. I'll lend them my teleporter,mixer,trailer,any tools whenever they want because I respect them and the work they do for me. Iv lads with me for over 10 years and lads with me just 2 month's and they don't carry on the same as him. I'm not being greedy but at the end of the day I'm running a business and deadlines need to be met. I know he can meet those deadlines but lately he's not.

That's fair enough you need to pull him on it asap then otherwise soon the others may see his actions as been allowed by you and then asking why they can't do the same?

When people work for you a lot of them don't see the work put in by you to account for the money you make on them.
They just see it as I can get X amount a day he's paying me X amount so I want that bit more.
All he's got a do is get out a bed an go to work, everything else is thought about and done for him by you.

The day someone causes more hassle than the money they make you its time to have a talk or get rid of them.

A lot of people forget you've got to earn your money, you don't get paid top dollar to become great, you have to already be great.
That's where it goes wrong.

Speak to him, tell him it's got to stop. If he doesn't like it he can leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it's eating you up face it head on don't lose your head your lose the argument maybe he got a few issues so address them or say it's my way or high way plenty of work out there and maybe he might realise he did have it good just for your information I work on domestic and there is no way I do a room in a day and rarely work past 3 but that's because I'm the boss it's my work and still gets done in time I say I work alone for reasons you explained and it's giving you a Arse ache alongside running a business, if all that fails ask for a pair of his sisters dirty knickers as a form of apology and move on

Occasionally I have to work long days if I'm behind but 8-5 day in day out is to long for a plasterer.
I have always been of the opinion that work rates fall of the cliff past 3pm and if you worked 8-3 or 8-5 you will get exactly the same amount of work done with the big difference being its happier work leaving at a nice time of day.

But as your the boss it's your way or the highway