Patio

stuart23

Private Member
Going to start digging founds for my patio, want it so when my bifold doors open it’s all on the same level going out into the garden. My question is will a single skin of concrete block be enough to hold the patio or is best lying them on there side for more strength?

Here’s a photo so it makes more sense, where the blue string is is where the end of patio wil be

I've built conservatory bases (solid base) single skin, but probably not quite that high.

What do you plan to fill the base with?
Anything I’ve got handy, rubble, roughcast chips and that. Obviously once I get near the top I’ll need to use proper stuff.

Anything I’ve got handy, rubble, roughcast chips and that. Obviously once I get near the top I’ll need to use proper stuff.

Rubble will sit on itself best without wanting to spread. If you want belt and braces, use a bit of concrete round the edges. I'd probably lay my slabs on concrete with what I think you're building too.

Rubble will sit on itself best without wanting to spread. If you want belt and braces, use a bit of concrete round the edges. I'd probably lay my slabs on concrete with what I think you're building too.
Would you lay the blocks on there side for more strength?

Block on flat be best, measure down from sill, thickness of bedded slabs and blocks so bottom course of block is few inches below ground level then min 6" concrete down to bottom of footing.
Fill up hard core whacked tight in 6" layers and top with whacked type 1 hard core to dust. And slab away with 1.5" overhang on blocks.

Block on flat be best, measure down from sill, thickness of bedded slabs and blocks so bottom course of block is few inches below ground level then min 6" concrete down to bottom of footing.
Fill up hard core whacked tight in 6" layers and top with whacked type 1 hard core to dust. And slab away with 1.5" overhang on blocks.
Going to try fill it with as much rubble and other stuff as I can then when get near the top go down the hardcore route with whacked plate. It’s going to be a big patio as it’s going in an L shape so trying to save as much cash as I can.

He's not building a skyscraper.
Would you lay the blocks on there side for more strength?

No, not if you're filling with rubble and putting on a slab. Rubble won't put much pressure on the wall.

Like I say, cheapest solution would be to stay back a bit from the wall and infill concrete - be solid as fook.

Basically, chuck in a pile of rubble, fill the corners up with concrete, blind it off with hardcore, whack a slab on and tile it.

Bada bing.

He's not building a skyscraper.

No, not if you're filling with rubble and putting on a slab. Rubble won't put much pressure on the wall.

Like I say, cheapest solution would be to stay back a bit from the wall and infill concrete - be solid as fook.

Basically, chuck in a pile of rubble, fill the corners up with concrete, blind it off with hardcore, whack a slab on and tile it.

Bada bing.
So pour concrete down every corner for strength?

So pour concrete down every corner for strength?

If you don't pack your rubble right up to the wall, fill the void with concrete - or least some/most of it. Be a lot easier than block flat. What's block flat...4x more block than regular laying? It's a fuckign lot of blocks.

If you don't pack your rubble right up to the wall, fill the void with concrete - or least some/most of it. Be a lot easier than block flat. What's block flat...4x more block than regular laying? It's a fuckign lot of blocks.
Aye it’s a lot

See where the patio meets the house, do I slab tight to the house or do I need to put some sort of drainage in to stop dampness in the future?