Patch up or re-render?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glastoun

New to all of this, triggered into action by a bit of render falling off in the recent storms. But we actually have (a small amount of) water leaking into our porch from the external wall (probably from the ridge halfway up), so it's probably worth doing something before it gets worse.

a) I'm not 100% on what render we have, have been told it might be painted Tyrolean over a dry dash (see pics). We still have part of the piece the fell off, and it is a thinnish layer of white with a few stones attached, so whether they are part of what is still attached to the wall or a 2nd layer of something else I don't know.

DSCN1274.jpg DSCN1275.jpg DSCN1276.jpg

b) It's not generally in a great condition anyway, and was down before the cavity wall insulation was fitted, and I don't think that was within the last few years (we've only owned the house 12 months). So even if we could patch it up, would it be a false economy?

c) If it's a complete re-render, what are the options? Replace with the same, something different, k-rend, monocouche, mozzarella, no idea. Not looking for anything impressive, just something clean that will stay looking good and not weathered, or can be easily repainted.

And if it's about 60m2 including windows as a rough estimate, what could the costs be?

Welcome :)

Some of house renderers will be along soon to give some advice :)

I would hack it off personally :)

I think it would be best if someone could have a look at it to see what state the rest of the render is i to take a look at the options,someone on here may be able to help,where abouts are you?

New to all of this, triggered into action by a bit of render falling off in the recent storms. But we actually have (a small amount of) water leaking into our porch from the external wall (probably from the ridge halfway up), so it's probably worth doing something before it gets worse.

a) I'm not 100% on what render we have, have been told it might be painted Tyrolean over a dry dash (see pics). We still have part of the piece the fell off, and it is a thinnish layer of white with a few stones attached, so whether they are part of what is still attached to the wall or a 2nd layer of something else I don't know.

View attachment 4363View attachment 4364View attachment 4365

b) It's not generally in a great condition anyway, and was down before the cavity wall insulation was fitted, and I don't think that was within the last few years (we've only owned the house 12 months). So even if we could patch it up, would it be a false economy?

c) If it's a complete re-render, what are the options? Replace with the same, something different, k-rend, monocouche, mozzarella, no idea. Not looking for anything impressive, just something clean that will stay looking good and not weathered, or can be easily repainted.

And if it's about 60m2 including windows as a rough estimate, what could the costs be?

its painted wet dashing.
depends on your budget as regards replacing,
has it got a cavity ? if not there looks plenty of room on your soffit for insulation prior eg 90mm eps insulation gives you 0.30 u value for building regs.
toped off with a lightweight through coloured scratch render or acrylic or silicone or wet dashed again or dry dashed.
or minus insulation but sand cement painted or scratch through coloured render etc.

Thanks - being Glasgow based, it's certainly been very wet dash the last few days..... :)

There is a cavity with insulation already installed, not sure to what standard though. The house can get cold, but think that's through the uninsulated suspended wooden floor.

Is there a website that goes through the render options with pros and cons? All I've found so far is 'sales' websites.

Thanks - being Glasgow based, it's certainly been very wet dash the last few days..... :)

There is a cavity with insulation already installed, not sure to what standard though. The house can get cold, but think that's through the uninsulated suspended wooden floor.

Is there a website that goes through the render options with pros and cons? All I've found so far is 'sales' websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.