Patch plastering in a Victorian terrace

Markymark0161

Hi,

I'm renovating a Victorian terrace in Manchester and have chipped off some loose plaster round the front of the house.

Not too sure how to go about fixing it now! I'm worried about doing it wrong and then getting damp patches.

I was thinking I may need to plaster with lime?

If so what kind of lime and how do I mix it?

Any advice would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_2021-01-16-15-44-39-749.jpg
    IMG_2021-01-16-15-44-39-749.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 210
How can you renovate a house if you don't know what you are doing? don't mess about with stuff you don't understand and muck it up then look for answers. Do the homework first, you would do better to get a decent workman in and accept you are going to pay him.

jesstheplasterer will do it she lives in manchester, but errr i think she has her hands full with a errr chess set

Hi,

I'm renovating a Victorian terrace in Manchester and have chipped off some loose plaster round the front of the house.

Not too sure how to go about fixing it now! I'm worried about doing it wrong and then getting damp patches.

If external walls, do yourself a favour and hack off and fit either insulated PB or insulation and PB.

Sounds like you on track to ruin the job if u don't know what your doing give the job to someone that does! Get your hand in your pocket ffs I might take my boiler apart later no point getting plumber in :X3:
You’ll be ok to cut the gas pipe with an angel grinder....................just turn the gas off first

@hstoke I've read that lime is a proper job. But unsure how to go about doing it as the people I've had in have said sand cement etc.

Do you just mix hydrated lime with sand and apply it?

Hi,

Take off all loose or weak bits and then use hardwall to bring it out flush and then skim the whole wall as normal ..easy fix

@Cockney1 easy being an unhelpful keyboard warrior isn't it?

Bell end.
Don't be a Snarkymark, you've had genuine wellmeaning advice from several people not to do it yourself, but lots of joe public come on here (like yourself) wanting to do stuff on the cheap and expecting free advice and handholding.
It might not be rocket science, but the trade knowledge is hard won and valuable, of course we all get resentful when somebody tightfists it - do you work for free?
Of course I'm not saying he's not a bell end...but he's ours to insult not yours.

Don't be a Snarkymark, you've had genuine wellmeaning advice from several people not to do it yourself, but lots of joe public come on here (like yourself) wanting to do stuff on the cheap and expecting free advice and handholding.
It might not be rocket science, but the trade knowledge is hard won and valuable, of course we all get resentful when somebody tightfists it - do you work for free?
Of course I'm not saying he's not a bell end...but he's ours to insult not yours.
Alvaro Morte Wow GIF by HBO ASIA

@Brimstone can't argue with that mate. Just trying to save some costs where I can. I'm a pretty competent DIYer and did a plastering course so have some idea what I'm doing.

The plasterer I had quote me said sand and cement and I wasn't too sure about it so asked here for a second opinion.

Anyway, thanks for the advice reckon I might go the hardwall route now thanks to @Bs11luke. Sounds the easiest method.

Ta.

@Brimstone can't argue with that mate. Just trying to save some costs where I can. I'm a pretty competent DIYer and did a plastering course so have some idea what I'm doing.

The plasterer I had quote me said sand and cement and I wasn't too sure about it so asked here for a second opinion.

Anyway, thanks for the advice reckon I might go the hardwall route now thanks to @Bs11luke. Sounds the easiest method.

Ta.
It is defo easiest way around it mate no need for the sand and cement route.. just don’t forget to pva the s**t out of the bare brick multiple times before applying the hard wall if needed as it can go off hard very quick on dry brick..good luck

It is defo easiest way around it mate no need for the sand and cement route.. just don’t forget to pva the s**t out of the bare brick multiple times before applying the hard wall if needed as it can go off hard very quick on dry brick..good luck

ive never put pva on before hardwall :coffe: