Party wall

Members online

zolco

Private Member
Went to see a job. Semi detached house, neighbours extensively refurbed their side then damaging next door neighbours walls.
Now surveyor says that no power tools allowed to use :wtf: only hammer and chisel to take effected areas off as they would have to serve notice to neighbours due to the party wall agreement and supply surveyor to keep an eye on next door incase damage made, no allowance made for removing skirting, architrave and coving by surveyor.
Patch repairs in built in cabinets and whatnot, seems like a nightmare job.
Anyone heard anything like this?

Load of rubbish so basically we not allowed to even work in our own houses now , what is this world coming too honest feel like I’m going mad ,
Maybe stud frame wall , ha ha that would stuff um all

Was it a listed building bro ?

Load of rubbish so basically we not allowed to even work in our own houses now , what is this world coming too honest feel like I’m going mad ,

Not listed at all, just a semi detached house with a party wall. Can't do stud as they want it back to original

Went to see a job. Semi detached house, neighbours extensively refurbed their side then damaging next door neighbours walls.
Now surveyor says that no power tools allowed to use :wtf: only hammer and chisel to take effected areas off as they would have to serve notice to neighbours due to the party wall agreement and supply surveyor to keep an eye on next door incase damage made, no allowance made for removing skirting, architrave and coving by surveyor.

Sounds like BS.

Does the surveyor live next door? :D

No mate, but there's 3 surveyor involved lol madness, all of them puts their apples and oranges into the basket lol

I feel for you. Party wall agreements can be a nightmare though. Helped my cousin on a job, which entailed building a full width single storey extension on the back of a house. All fine, then last minute, neighbours kicked up a fuss and put the job back atleast 6 months. Cost customers a good few grand too.
Got there in the end, but of course left bad blood between the 2 houses. Stupid thing was, they all got on fine beforehand and the arsehole neighbours were planning to have theirs extended too...and would benefit with being on good terms.
I think a lot of it is simply down to jealousy.

I feel for you. Party wall agreements can be a nightmare though. Helped my cousin on a job, which entailed building a full width single storey extension on the back of a house. All fine, then last minute, neighbours kicked up a fuss and put the job back atleast 6 months. Cost customers a good few grand too.
Got there in the end, but of course left bad blood between the 2 houses. Stupid thing was, they all got on fine beforehand and the arsehole neighbours were planning to have theirs extended too...and would benefit with being on good terms.
I think a lot of it is simply down to jealousy.
People can be a pain. I haven't quoted yet, will put in a higher rate so I'm expecting to not to be accepted lol

Me too tbh, was aware of party wall agreement for chimney stack removal etc but hacking plaster off with hand so they don't have to notify them that's pure bollox

The thing is, I'd prefer a couple of hours with an SDS blaring out than a day of some Muppet(not you mate) with a hammer and bolster rat a tat tatting!

Me too tbh, was aware of party wall agreement for chimney stack removal etc but hacking plaster off with hand so they don't have to notify them that's pure bollox
some of these surveyors and inspectors are right f**k**g muppets these days

The thing is, I'd prefer a couple of hours with an SDS blaring out than a day of some Muppet(not you mate) with a hammer and bolster rat a tat tatting!
That's what I said to the bloke, but I think they trying to teach them a lesson next door lol

Sound like house of horrors mate . It neightber at war stay away andyg (asuwere)

Why should you be able to do whatever you want in your own home if it's affecting those next door? Dozy t**t.

I'm gobsmacked at the replies here. Surely to God you wouldn't want someone working on their place and damaging yours?
A breaker can do a hell of a lot of damage to the other side of a wall, party or not.

I'm gobsmacked at the replies here. Surely to God you wouldn't want someone working on their place and damaging yours?
A breaker can do a hell of a lot of damage to the other side of a wall, party or not.
Will bolster and hammer won't do the same?

No they definitely won't. There's way, way less vibration from a hammer and bolster.
Tbh it's the first time I ever heard about this, that when is a party wall agreement you have to give notice, never heard about it before, well not for replastering anyway.

Tbh it's the first time I ever heard about this, that when is a party wall agreement you have to give notice, never heard about it before, well not for replastering anyway.
I don't think that you do need a party wall agreement if you're just removing the old plaster with a hammer and bolster, it's the fact that a breaker is used that it kicks in. If you want to chop new leccy boxes in you need one though, even if using a hammer and bolster.
I was told that I didn't need one just to drill screw holes, so I just battened out a kitchen wall instead.

I don't think that you do need a party wall agreement if you're just removing the old plaster with a hammer and bolster, it's the fact that a breaker is used that it kicks in. If you want to chop new leccy boxes in you need one though, even if using a hammer and bolster.
I was told that I didn't need one just to drill screw holes, so I just battened out a kitchen wall instead.
I see what you saying, I never had this sort of scenario cropped up hence I'm confused tbh, as they on about pinning eml too how you meant to do that by hand tools only?

I see what you saying, I never had this sort of scenario cropped up hence I'm confused tbh, as they on about pinning eml too how you meant to do that by hand tools only?
In that scenario I'd check what diameter masonry drill bit they'd be happy to accept, then drill and fix the EML using insulation fixings.
A few years back I went and rerendered a house for the NHBC and apparently they won't allow anything other than hammer and bolster for removing failed render/plaster, even on a detached house.

In that scenario I'd check what diameter masonry drill bit they'd be happy to accept, then drill and fix the EML using insulation fixings.
A few years back I went and rerendered a house for the NHBC and apparently they won't allow anything other than hammer and bolster for removing failed render/plaster, even on a detached house.
Thanks, good to know that

Why should you be able to do whatever you want in your own home if it's affecting those next door? Dozy t**t.
Because the person owns it andy , makes me sick to my back tooth tbh , so solid wall is gonna affect the next door how , the Bosch ones I use ping the render off the bricks mate they wont bust though 2 skin of bricks into neighbours Livingroom ffs

Because the person owns it andy , makes me sick to my back tooth tbh , so solid wall is gonna affect the next door how , the Bosch ones I use ping the render off the bricks mate they wont bust though 2 skin of bricks into neighbours Livingroom ffs
Perhaps you don't have enough experience then Pete as I've heard of plenty of occasions where damage has occurred to a neighbor's house. Why do you think these party wall agreements came in?

Perhaps you don't have enough experience then Pete as I've heard of plenty of occasions where damage has occurred to a neighbor's house. Why do you think these party wall agreements came in?
Maybe I haven’t tbf, we all different I suppose mate tbh I not seen any cables chased into a brick wall for years either