parex crazy cracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

toon10

hello i'm not a plaster but had some done on an extension i have put up on my house.
I've had parex put on ,parmurex as a base coat and then dpr sand coat as the finish.
The base coat is fine then a primier was applied all this is fine . Its when the dpr sand coat was applied the problem arose ,it dried out within an hour and now looks like a bad wet dash job , its completely covered in cracks . I have had the rep from parex back and he says it's an application fault saying its been put on to thick . I know the plasters no what they are doing as i have seen there work and have seen them applying this same system before .
So i would like to know if anyone else has come across this problem before and what can i do to solve it
I dont want to paint the 311 paint that parex says to do :RpS_cursing:

Hi Toon

Not sure what you are going to get as comment from guys on here.... The manufacturer has seen it, commented and made their recomendation for remedial action.....

Sorry.............

Last edited:
We use parex all the time and never had this problem but I think the rep is correct as it would craze if to thick and not primed correctly . Can you remove a small area and see ow thick it is and let us know, how many m2 is the job and how many tubs of DPR did they use ??

How long after the primer was the dpr put on? If the dpr was put on before the primer fully dried then you may have got some suction?

The primer was applied 7 days before the dpr coat was applied .
The coverage of work done with the dpr coat so far is 45 m2 and 4 and 2/3 s of the tubs has been used , there is some spillage about and some scrapped on a pile of rubbish .
It may or may not be anything but the base coat is the French version and dpr is from USA
im a brickie so little knowledge ( which is a dangerous thing ) !

Is the finished work good quality apart from the cracks

If it is do you think a good coat of paint will fix it

If it does.paint it.

I have gone over silicone 1.5mm ok but how would he deal with the 2mm cracks? Are these dpr cracks or render cracks? 2mm sounds a lot for dpr?

These are dpr cracks and the rep says this course material should be 1.8 thick .
Asking another plasterer in my area he doesn't believe it's been put on to thick as it makes it very hard to rub up smooth to get the trowel marks out and the walls are like snooker tables .

I forgot to say that the dpr coat was solid after 50 minutes to an hour , you could take a hammer to it . So if its been put on too thick why did it dry out so quick this doesn't make sense to me . A material been applied thicker should dry out instantly

Why dried to quick though overcast day with 1 heavy put quick shower , temperature was about 19 degrees and cooled off later in the day.
Is it separated because its too thick and the airs got in through the cracks ?

I was thinking about starting to use Parex products...until I saw a house done just round the corner from me, looked like it was done by the book. 2 weeks later large horizontal crack appeared, never noticed it straight after application, be gutted if that was my job.

i would have thought it was more likely an applicator issue than the product or no one would use parex IMO

There's is nothing wrong with parex products, they are all tried and tested. If issues have arison, It is down to applicator error, weather, bad prep, or simply not knowing what the applicator is doing.

There's is nothing wrong with parex products, they are all tried and tested. If issues have arison, It is down to applicator error, weather, bad prep, or simply not knowing what the applicator is doing.

It just made me worry a little...still going to give the products a go :)

Status
Not open for further replies.