Paper tape

Members online

megamix

Doing a lot of lantern roofs lately . They get a lot of movement and had a few cracks appear. Before anyone mentions yes I stagger my joints and put loads of screws in . Anyway I though about paper taping them just wondering what best method to stick tape on . In the past I’ve put them on with drywall adhesive and skimmed next day , but I want to skim the same day . Would I be ok to just put them on with skim and skim up straight away ?

Doing a lot of lantern roofs lately . They get a lot of movement and had a few cracks appear. Before anyone mentions yes I stagger my joints and put loads of screws in . Anyway I though about paper taping them just wondering what best method to stick tape on . In the past I’ve put them on with drywall adhesive and skimmed next day , but I want to skim the same day . Would I be ok to just put them on with skim and skim up straight away ?
I may have the answer soon watch this space.

20190723_113638.jpg

You can use skim mate but I’d use tradeline ready mix from Ccf really nice to use , then skim them few days later for a good job

I've put miles up (literally) using Multifinish through a banjo. To be honest most don't want to pay any extra for it and I'm past doing stuff 'just because it's right'. I basically do not f**k**g care about stuff if the client doesn't now days, 90% are f**k**g penny pinching idiots. f**k the lot of them.

Oh I feel much better now.

I've put miles up (literally) using Multifinish through a banjo. To be honest most don't want to pay any extra for it and I'm past doing stuff 'just because it's right'. I basically do not f**k**g care about stuff if the client doesn't now days, 90% are f**k**g penny pinching idiots. f**k the lot of them.

Oh I feel much better now.
I know wher your coming from pal.
It’s just one builder i do a lot of lantern roofs for has had a couple of customers complained about some butt joint cracks where the timbers have twisted . He gets me a lot of work and he’s got a good reputation so thought I’d just paper tape the ceilings and see how it goes

I know wher your coming from pal.
It’s just one builder i do a lot of lantern roofs for has had a couple of customers complained about some butt joint cracks where the timbers have twisted . He gets me a lot of work and he’s got a good reputation so thought I’d just paper tape the ceilings and see how it goes
I'll be absolutely honest with you; if the timbers are going to twist then you're just wasting your time taping. He should be making sure that he uses decent well dried timbers. Ask @imago he'll tell you I'm sure.

yes you can paper tape with your skim, just wet the paper first in bucket of water. Agree with Andy but if I’m boarding a job I paper tape it but if someone else has done boarding I use bg scrim blue.

Board finish or multi,,,,, as said before bg Blue scrim specs stronger than paper tape.

I'll be absolutely honest with you; if the timbers are going to twist then you're just wasting your time taping. He should be making sure that he uses decent well dried timbers. Ask @imago he'll tell you I'm sure.

Spot on. Using cheap or low quality gear will always bite you on the arse. If the timber is wet, poorly cut or low quality everything that goes on top of it will suffer.
You can get decent quality timber from suppliers but it sometimes takes a bit of time to find one. For example I use EH Smith because their timber is reliably good, price is immaterial as it gets passed on. I can't pass on the warranty for the job.