Paper tape

Members online

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-17-12-22-35.png
    Screenshot_2016-11-17-12-22-35.png
    869 KB · Views: 293
Thanks for everybody's views, cracking is probably more something I have to deal with as a builder than a plasterer will have to, as when they appear when we are decorating I have to pay the decorator to keep filling them but this wet n stick looks like the same results if not better than paper tape. The main areas we have problems are any plasterboard attached to new wood and large areas. The project we are doing at the moment has a roof space as one area in excess of 100m 2 and this has been paper taped but we have still got some cracks mostly at the apex but interestingly enough not where joints in the plasterboard are so it must be to do with expansion and contraction of the plasterboard and plaster.

Thanks for everybody's views, cracking is probably more something I have to deal with as a builder than a plasterer will have to, as when they appear when we are decorating I have to pay the decorator to keep filling them but this wet n stick looks like the same results if not better than paper tape. The main areas we have problems are any plasterboard attached to new wood and large areas. The project we are doing at the moment has a roof space as one area in excess of 100m 2 and this has been paper taped but we have still got some cracks mostly at the apex but interestingly enough not where joints in the plasterboard are so it must be to do with expansion and contraction of the plasterboard and plaster.
Are you using cls or treated gear for studding as that could be your answer, cls 99% kept dry indoors and covered, treated might look dry it's still carries lots of moisture. Wet studs can pull the boards about and cause cracks

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hi wondering if anyone could back up my thoughts on paper tape which are that as a builder I ask my plasterers to use paper tape prior to skimming on any areas vulnerable to cracking ie. large ceilings, solid wall to stud wall joints as I have the come back to put crack right and I have rarely seen a crack come through paper tape but I constantly get told by plasterers that it is a waste of time but British gypsum recommend paper tape for a stronger joint so would be interested to hear other plasterers views for and againnst.
Paper tape is by far superior to Scrim anywhere that’s vulnerable to cracking I’ll use it and I never have a problem

I've been using fibre fuse tape. Better than scrim and easier to use than paper. Kind of best of both worlds

Paper tape is the best for plasterboard joints and any plaster cracks in ceilings or walls. Seen a few ceilings with cracks on plasterboard joints that have been have scrim cloth not many with Artex finish on ceilings which have had paper tape.
Lay a tight coat of skim on joints, dampen tapes and trowel in with skim. I does take more time but it is the best method if there is any risk of cracking. If you have put a good price in then you got the time to use paper. If the price does not fit the job then the job has to match the price.

Been said before
Blue FIBA tape is spec 25% stronger than paper.