painting plaster too quickly

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ali

those plasterers in that nick knowles diy sos seem to skim a wall in the morning and have it painted by the afternoon, i got a customer who wants me to skim a ceiling then paint it same day cos she has seen it on the telly, any thoughts please, i told her i always advise waiting till plaster is fully dry then mist coat then away you go, anyone ever done it same day????

It's always best to let the plaster dry out fully like you say.But you can use contract matt which is microporus & let's the plaster dry out.

Hi lads

we use supper matt it has no vinyl in it so the plaster can still breath and dry out we use it it the sudent letts we look after i had a labourer that painted a ceiling 30mins after i had finished it i only went down to shop came back and he had done half the bloody ceiling we finished it and it look no diffrent then if we would of left it a few days then painted it am not saying you should do it but it has worked for us all the best

I did one a few months ago a utility room ceiling I skimmed it on the morning then painted on the afternoon with silk emulsion from homebase it was ok cause silk is quite sticky. :RpS_thumbup

few years ago we was on site,as soon as we finshed and walked out of a house the painters would walk strait in emultion the walls etc few months down the line,site agent comes in and said we was polishing the walls to much and the paint was peeling off the walls,
my old man bluntly pointed out there painting too soon and not aloweing enough time for the plasterer to dry,the site agent got of his ar*s and made sure the painters waited a good week before painting, problem solved!!
you could take her money and do it but its your name on it!! it might be alright but it dose peel so i wouldnt do it mate

Hi Lads

If u use normal matt paint yes it will peel but if u use the new paints that have been made to use on fresh plastered walls and ceilings like supper matt or b&q trade this paint has no vinyle in it so allows the plaster to breath and dry as the paint dos not seal the ceiling as normal matt dos am not saying that its the right thing to do and u should wait till its dry but this is the stuff that used on the tv and we have used it loads of times and it has not peeled at all but its down to wait you like and what you want to do ??

the best and only way is to let the plaster dry then one mist coat and two full coats . it may look great for a while if you paint it over non fully dryed plaster but it will peel after a while . i was a decorater before i started plastering 10 years ago , ive seen it two many times .

Status
Not open for further replies.