Pain In the Ass customer. May screw me out of money

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

basset

This is abit of a rant and to see if this has happened to you guys.
Basically got a big job on and went to have a look and we decided that we would work on a day rate.
It’s about an 1.30 hour drive to this property so I reflected this into the day price.
We have done 5 days so far and I asked for some of the money, initially he said yes. However today they are arguing the price saying they want to cut it in half.
The first 2 days are fine and no issue good solid days and there happy to pay that. However the other three days are the issue.
Day3 - he called me in the evening saying its good to go. So turn up in the morning and start. At 12ish the concrete and builders turn up. Nothing else ready so we pack up and go. I tell him to call me with a few days notice so I know when it is ready.
Day 4 - he calls me a few days later saying its ready again. Turn up and crack on, Come to a stand still as two of the walls have not been finished by the builders or he hasn’t told the builders.
Day 5 - Turn up to render some fire places. Wrong sand to start with after telling him a number of times. Even the builder told him that I wouldn’t be happy with the sand but he didn’t listen. Finish those and then have to finish as the other stuff still isn’t ready.
He wants to cut the last 3 days money in half as we left the job early afternoon.
My point is that if he had explained to me what was happening I would have waited and not travelled up there and waited for the builders or him to sort out the other stuff. By the time I get home I don’t have enough time to go and do other work. So it means ill be screwed for money. I should also point out that these 5 days have been spread over 2.5 weeks or so. And he has cancelled me on a number of days at about 10pm the evening before leaving me with no work the next day until he is ready. I have told him the reason we left is because of his poor organisation and the rest of the house isn’t ready for us.
He doesn’t have a clue about building or anything and really needs a project manager or he needs to be on site full time.
Do you think he has a point to cut my money like he wants to? A im pissed off with it and will be loosing money!
There is a lot of work there and could be there for a month or so but is it worth it?
Like to hear your views on this.

No he's in the wrong Feckin you around, and your still traveling both ways, fuel etc.... tell him you'll take 25% off the day rate for those three days, ti keep him sweet, get your money and dont go back, feck. him... it may only get worse.
save your self a sore head and shot load of hassle .

we would expect full payment. he has booked your gang for the day, you cannot do half days.it is his problem if he can not get the work ready when he has people booked.
i would collect the money then let him down at the last minute as he did to you. tell him you will return to site in a couple of days, then give him the slow death. you will not earn a pound with this twit.
this is always the problem if you do daywork.

I kinder figure thats the point of day work... to cover YOUR losses when you are getting messed around.... I never charged 1/2 days and all that bullshit... no such thing as half days in my books....

Danny

Exactly. He has pissed the builders off also. He got the plumber and sparky in before putting in 4 steels. Think he needs then back in now.

I've just had exactly the same problem with a customer. We arrived to do 2 weeks work, after 2 days all the plans changed and he said we would have to go away for a week or so and then come back. This obviously left us short of work for at least the rest of that first week. We billed him for the two days we had worked, received payment and then told him to stick it!!!!! He was a tw@t anyway!!

I invoiced customer once for a half day along with full days, he rang saying thanks but that I had put in the same amount for the half as the full, I said its normally more for a half but I gave him discount, he finally got it...

Still no reply to e-mail and now dealing with wife as hes fooked off somewhere. Im sacred of wives. :(.

They have a program about cowboy builders lets do one on tw*tish customers!!

some customers can be hard work. 1.30 hours is far to long to drive everyday to work, you are spending 3 hours a day travelling plus fuel and wear and tear on your motor

If you've got more work to do else where then leave this job, but if you've not much else to do then stay. BUT tell him or her that if you turn up after being told the jobs ready and when you get there its not ready then they pay you for the full day and if they tell you the jobs ready and you get there and if its not then they pay you also for every day your waiting as its their fault not yours, you tell them you have customers waiting else where and you are losing out on their money which you are to charge them for, yes give them a small discount but still make it worth you time. BUT on the other hand if you dont have a contract then they could tell you to stick it and then its up to you if you stay but i would'nt. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.