Overskims etc with no PVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Apprentice

I had a chat to a spread I know who told me a new plaster will be coming to the market in the near future that doesn't require PVA for reskims. He told me that the onlt prep that is required is for very high suction backgrounds such as old hardwall or bonding which needs a splash of water.

Not sure when this comes out but sounds like a winner for me provided the cost is ok

I'm sure Nisus mentioned it after you went down the mine together. I take it you don't use bonding agents together then?

Does it just key to the wall what about suction? When anything like this turns up they charge the earth and it'll never take off, how long does it take to pva a wall?

Does it just key to the wall what about suction? When anything like this turns up they charge the earth and it'll never take off, how long does it take to pva a wall?

You could be right coz gypbond at £50 pound a pot is not gonna be needed, reminds me of rendersystems multi tile spacer replacing all the other spacers, there not gonna do it.

When was the last time you went into a merchants and saw pallets of Board Finish, Multi, Durafinish and Spray Finish all lined up together? My guess would be never because the merchants just don't want to stock all the different types of finish, surely this was the whole point of Multifinish in the first place.
Why don't BG just produce a finish which can be applied by machine or hand, have good impact/scratch resistance, not need adhesives for overskims, have a setting time that can be adjusted to suit the situation and most importantly be nice to trowel up. How simple would that be for all concerned, I've even got a name for the new super product, MULTI FINISH.

When was the last time you went into a merchants and saw pallets of Board Finish, Multi, Durafinish and Spray Finish all lined up together? My guess would be never because the merchants just don't want to stock all the different types of finish, surely this was the whole point of Multifinish in the first place.
Why don't BG just produce a finish which can be applied by machine or hand, have good impact/scratch resistance, not need adhesives for overskims, have a setting time that can be adjusted to suit the situation and most importantly be nice to trowel up. How simple would that be for all concerned, I've even got a name for the new super product, MULTI FINISH.

Wow That is a good Idea Andy :)

ever thought that an all in one plaster would be expensive????, why sell one when you can split it into 4 seperate products and sell it then people can make an informed choice in what they want there plaster to do, and pay extra for added benefits such as scratch resistance, or the ability to do away with a PVA, but then again what do I know I just throw sh~t on a wall every day

also from what I understand for a plaster to be able to be put through a machine it needs its setting times adjusted and the particles of gypsum ground to the right size so you dont end up sprying dust onto a wall as the compressed air causes the gypsum to set, so if BG produced an "all inone plaster" you would find if you hand applied it on new plasterboard, because its been treated to cope with being atomised or to cope with high suction of old plaster backgrounds, then you may be sat there waiting 3 hrs for it to pull in a low suction, flat background, personally I dont fancy that i'd rather have a plaster that i could apply onto new board backgrounds and that i could finish within 120min, hang one sec..........

Used Knuaf version of the new wonder plaster this week this week and have to say the finished job is very good.
How it works:firstly set up areas you are going to plaster,bead scrim or papertape then fill out beads and scrim/tape.
Then spray base coat and flatten,trowel or spat.Leave 24 hours.
Spray top coat and flatten in fairness this gear did spray really well so hardly needed a great deal of work.
The next day lightly sand any marks out.

The good thing about this gear is that (the only way i can describe it is its similar to self levelling but on the walls) it actually dries smooth.

I have got to say i was sceptical about what Knauf were claiming this stuff could do but the finish is pure white and looks very good.
Now the downside this material is so is easy to use spray,flatten sand,it will just dumb down the trade even more because basically you could train someone to do this in a month tops!

Status
Not open for further replies.