Overboarding sloping ceiling

Members online

Wotsit

Hello!

I've got a garage in thr garden built by the previous owner in 1991.

It has a sloping (gable?) roof with a couple of veluxes. It's a cold roof design, with some insulation between the joists, but I want to add some more insulation to the walls and ceiling as i plan to use it as a wfh office.

I've got a plan for the walls (celotex, followed by battens, followed by PB), but was wondering about thoughts for the roof.

My current plan is to overboard the existing PB ceiling with 50mm celotex followed by PB screwed through to the rafters.

Not quite sure how to deal with the existing veluxes though. One option I was considering is to cut the PB and insulation 1 pb width shy of the edge of the velux reveal and then stick on a piece of PB so it is flush with the reveal. Then get the plasterer to feather out the edges and blend into the reveal. If that makes sense??

Would that work?

The other obvious option is to rip off the PB existing ceiling and reveals and start again with fresh insualtion, but that seems like a lot of effort and mess...

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Hello!

I've got a garage in thr garden built by the previous owner in 1991.

It has a sloping (gable?) roof with a couple of veluxes. It's a cold roof design, with some insulation between the joists, but I want to add some more insulation to the walls and ceiling as i plan to use it as a wfh office.

I've got a plan for the walls (celotex, followed by battens, followed by PB), but was wondering about thoughts for the roof.

My current plan is to overboard the existing PB ceiling with 50mm celotex followed by PB screwed through to the rafters.

Not quite sure how to deal with the existing veluxes though. One option I was considering is to cut the PB and insulation 1 pb width shy of the edge of the velux reveal and then stick on a piece of PB so it is flush with the reveal. Then get the plasterer to feather out the edges and blend into the reveal. If that makes sense??

Would that work?

The other obvious option is to rip off the PB existing ceiling and reveals and start again with fresh insualtion, but that seems like a lot of effort and mess...

Any thoughts gratefully appreciated.
Tbh I'd rip off the existing. You say it's effort and mess but you don't want to think at the end, "f**k it's still cold" and wonder why you didn't insulate properly inbetween joists. Plus seeing the joists will make your life easier when putting the new board up.
Rip off, celotex inbetween then celotex over the top and plasterboard (or buy celotex backed plasterboard to save time)

Not really sure what you mean regarding the velux window. Just plasterboard the reveals and leave them 62mm proud of the joists. Then your 50mm celotex and plasterboard will end up flush with them. If you didn't end up going down the ripping down option I'd still rip off the reveals and redo in new board at the very least or they'll look s**t. Again leaving them 62mm proud

Forget that ....
Either rip off everything .... q
OR / lath the rafter
Staple multi foil insulation / lcross battlen with lath over new foil
Pb / skim

your welcome

Hold your horses and cancel the stallion
Kids Play GIF

Thanks for the replies - super helpful.

Dollar - can you explain the lath method? I'm probably being slow on the uptake, but I'm not sure I quite get it.

The only other bit I'm still figuring out is the door reveals, where I don't have much clearance round the door frame.

Think I'll need to hack off back to the blockwork to make room for insulation, and even then will only have 30mm to play with. Has anyone used the Gyproc Thermaline Basic 22m insulated plasterboard? It gets mixed reviews online...

Thanks for the advice guys.

Any thoughts on the door reveals? And does anyone have any experience with that insualted plasterboard I mentioned: 22mm gyproc thermaline basic:

Thanks for the advice guys.

Any thoughts on the door reveals? And does anyone have any experience with that insualted plasterboard I mentioned: 22mm gyproc thermaline basic:

Absolute complete and utter shite. Need a decent insulation board or it's completely pointless. That's 13mm of polystyrene stuck on 9.5mm plasterboard. Thin, flimsy and a waste of money.

Any idea about door reveals in what way? There's either space for insulation board or there isn't really