Overboarding lath and plaster wall. My baby needs a bedroom.

Garrybiscuits

Hi

We have a 16 month old baby and I am attempting to finish his bedroom.

The exterior wall was crumbling with old black plaster. I have battened and plasterboard it as there is no issue with damp or moisture ingress.

I have now realised the adjoining wall is lath and plaster. The plaster is loose in places. I think it's quite bad, but it's less than a quarter of the wall in total. It has been reskimmed previously to us buying the house, but not very well.

We are finding it very hard to get a plasterer in Bristol to do such a small job. And so I am taking the task on myself. I am a trained sculptor so I feel I have a good knowledge of materials.

My question is do I...

1. simply remove the skirting and locate the studs, then screw plasterboard directly on top? To make matters worse I cannot get a full 8 X 4 sheet into the room because of the dimensions of the landing. Also the wall is slightly curved, not because of the plaster coming off, but the skim job was only a patch of the wall.

Also can I get away with 9mm board. If I put on 12.5 I will have to move the door molding.
2. Glue the plaster back in place which a colleague has recommended. Then skim over.?

3. Remove everything and cry a lot.

The baby is living in a building site. It's depressing. Also I cannot do large jobs easil as we cannot send him and his mum away due to us both working and being very poor.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

@Garrybiscuits , assume you may go for option 1 so once you locate studs and have boards ready cut ,,,,,,, trowel a line of board adhesive up the stud lines and rule off flat with a straight edge , give it a while to firm up , then board 12.5 not 9.5 , use pink plasterboard as its stronger . then you can scrim and fill , it'll be good enough as you can't afford to get it skimmed

Hi

The exterior wall was crumbling with old black plaster. I have battened and plasterboard it as there is no issue with damp or moisture ingress.

I have now realised the adjoining wall is lath and plaster. The plaster is loose in places. I think it's quite bad, but it's less than a quarter of the wall in total. It has been reskimmed previously to us buying the house, but not very well.

We are finding it very hard to get a plasterer in Bristol to do such a small job. And so I am taking the task on myself. I am a trained sculptor so I feel I have a good knowledge of materials.

My question is do I...

1. simply remove the skirting and locate the studs, then screw plasterboard directly on top? To make matters worse I cannot get a full 8 X 4 sheet into the room because of the dimensions of the landing. Also the wall is slightly curved, not because of the plaster coming off, but the skim job was only a patch of the wall.

Also can I get away with 9mm board. If I put on 12.5 I will have to move the door molding.
2. Glue the plaster back in place which a colleague has recommended. Then skim over.?

The baby is living in a building site. It's depressing. Also I cannot do large jobs easil as we cannot send him and his mum away due to us both working and being very poor.

To be honest if it was my property I would take all the lathe and plaster off and reboard it. It is a bit messy but tape up the room open the windows and crack on.

Overboarding is ok but I like to be thorough.

Others will disagree

To be honest if it was my property I would take all the lathe and plaster off and reboard it. It is a bit messy but tape up the room open the windows and crack on.

Others will disagree
If you're doing it yourself just rip out the lath and plaster and board and skim or tape if you can't skim.

Hi

My question is do I...

I feel for ya mate been there myself .
re built a house with 3 kids .
house is now a home but still needs plenty of work done.

if your gonna reskim make sure walls are well washed.
lath and plaster walls sometimes comes with distemper.

but your better off stripping walls arcs scirts etc
and re boarding.

hope it works out for you mate
dont stress to much it will come together (y)

To the fella who asked for advice go with option 1...but use 12.5mm as 9mm is a fecker for flexing and craxking...you can put a bit of strip wood on your liner to buff out for the architrave. Use lots of screws and then scrim it and skim...have a good evening and I hope it makes your kids room a bit better

Others will disagree
Is there any benefit to taking it off? I can never see the point myself. Board over and get a plasterer in for half a day to skim. Orrr the better option is keep running around every plasterer in the area and pay one to board and skim it. Easy days work. Obviously make sure the plasterer you get has a decent reputation though

Is there any benefit to taking it off? I can never see the point myself. Board over and get a plasterer in for half a day to skim. Orrr the better option is keep running around every plasterer in the area and pay one to board and skim it. Easy days work. Obviously make sure the plasterer you get has a decent reputation though
That's if you can find a plasterer who can board AND skim

Yeah adding insulation making sure wiring is all up to scratch and then simply peace of mind that all that dust and crap is out of the property