Overboarding Ceiling

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ky12

Hello all, amateur question time again.

When overboardibg my kitchen ceiling, do I align the boards along the length of the joists, or across the joists?

Thanks guys

Thanks mate. I'm guessing by going across it will be supported enough to reach the wall from the last joist?

Danny so you would have a joint running the opposite way ? Jumping over the joists , id rather stagger the opposite way , we mark joist that is under 2.4 board past chalk line alkng the joist and cut , staggering the joints that are 'floating' rather than the ones that would be fixed right along the joist ? Or is that the way u mean ? Lol

So i would say board from the right then from the left on the next ones then the right again ....... Which would stagger the other joints

So I'm going across them :) Any tips on marking the boards or locating the joists? As I'm overboarding I won't be able to physically see them

So I could place the board in place, then put my chalk line over again between the marks on walls and this will be where I screw?

12.5 board, 65mm screws?

I like to knock a small hole in the ceiling so I can actually see the joist and make sure I mark dead centre. I used to do it with a 4" nail with my old boss and we'd always get it there or there abouts but sometimes it can be out a bit. probably doesn't matter too much but I'm fussy. @stolen stilton uses a pad saw either side of the joist which gives you the width and ultimately the centre.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to knock a small hole in the ceiling so I can actually see the joist and make sure I mark dead centre. I used to do it with a 4" nail with my old boss and we'd always get it there or there abouts but sometimes it can be out a bit. probably doesn't matter too much but I'm fussy. @stolenstilton uses a pad saw either side of the joist which gives you the width and ultimately the centre.

Yeah I find the start and the end of the joists then mark the middle, still hit and miss as 99% of the time they like bananas

So I could place the board in place, then put my chalk line over again between the marks on walls and this will be where I screw?

12.5 board, 65mm screws?

find your joists as we've said. Both sides of the room. ping a chalkline so you know where they are. measure your board length from the wall. against the wall and again 3ft out to see if it's square. cut your board. hold it up and prop it. check it's all in place. screw it. so on and so on

That's great thanks for all the help. I was considering ripping out the old but for mess and potential asbestos (I don't know if it's there or not) I feel over boarding is the winner

on a different note, I have to d dab a wall that has a 15mm gas pipe flush against the brick. Can I simply d dab over this and use really large dots to being the board out from the wall enough to hide the pipe?

15mm mains can't be covered over this way, illegal ,if someone screw into it at a later date,needs to be marked ,check with someone gas safe rgd.

That's great thanks for all the help. I was considering ripping out the old but for mess and potential asbestos (I don't know if it's there or not) I feel over boarding is the winner

on a different note, I have to d dab a wall that has a 15mm gas pipe flush against the brick. Can I simply d dab over this and use really large dots to being the board out from the wall enough to hide the pipe?

should be lagged aswell, hessian lagging I think, wouldn't cover it with board if the pipe is bare.

Status
Not open for further replies.