overboarding artex

Status
Not open for further replies.

gitznshiggles

Guys - quick question, im gonna start doing my first bit of skimming in my house since the course on the hall, landing ceilings that are artexed, gonna overboard but was wondering if theres any point in using the foil backed boards for insulation.

Is there any point, will it make much difference?
and are there any issues with using this board.. i.e. moisture being trapped between the old artex ceiling and the new foil backed boards?

I dunno..... it reflects the heat and thats proven... well its proven that foil reflects heat... look at festivals with those big foil poncho things... they work

I was on a job of new build flats a few years ago and all the perimeter walls where done with foil back boards. Gypsum at the time could not make them as fast as they were being sold so as the flats were a rush job they told the client that if they could not wait six weeks for them just to attatch viscreen over the met sec and just use normal board!

i would strap the cieling with slaters laths then use 12.5 mm boards saves the **** around finding joists

when my rad decided to leak upstairs, foil backed boards saved it all pissing downstairs. but i did have a big puddle under the floorboards. and 9.5mm boards, everytime. so much lighter :)

.............unless its my house

@ layiton - read too many posts on here about artex ceilings, and the safest thing seems to be to overboard it.
Also I am waiting for my next little un to be born (11 days late as of today) so with that in mind i dont fancy getting involved in scraping ceilings and creating a right fking mess, this mrs is doing my nut in as it is and knowing my luck the whole lot will come down and i dont need that this week. Given the choice Id have got started sooner and removed old ceilings completely and redone it.

with the baby on the way just overboard it shouldent take u long still need 2 find joists use normal 12.5 they have got more strength & leavell out better imo you proberbly havent got enought experience 2 skim over artex as its not as easy as skimin on boards imo not knowin your experience :RpS_thumbup:

with the baby on the way just overboard it shouldent take u long still need 2 find joists use normal 12.5 they have got more strength & leavell out better imo you proberbly havent got enought experience 2 skim over artex as its not as easy as skimin on boards imo not knowin your experience :RpS_thumbup:

Agreed, also check for pipes and cables.:RpS_thumbup:

right just a quick reply cos my mrs is going into labour as i type... but the hospital wont be interested in seeing us till shes squealing in agony...
experience of skimming artex -- fak all
ordered 12.5 straight edge 8x4's for next week - ill find the joists by taking up the landing floor - already done the landing ceiling from the loft - was poking holes through along the roof trusses with a pad saw etc..

will let you know how the ceiling goes - i gotta fly!

spark2010 - read posts before replying

steve_cov - i said no experience skimming over artex, ive said before im a chippy by trade and have boarded out plenty of ceilings with full size sheets, also i didnt say anything about being on my own.

thanks chaps - we have a new baby girl as of saturday morning :eek:)

well done mate and congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife gave birth to twin boys on Monday so i know the feeling :)

I love it

Rich

spark2010 - read posts before replying

steve_cov - i said no experience skimming over artex, ive said before im a chippy by trade and have boarded out plenty of ceilings with full size sheets, also i didnt say anything about being on my own.

thanks chaps - we have a new baby girl as of saturday morning :eek:)

congrats mate...

i did read post

overboarding is always better job overskimming artex ok if its the hard stuff nut if its the coldwater crap or got asbestos in it forget it overboard 12.5 mm better but depends how far the joist span is old houses anyones guess

Status
Not open for further replies.