over board spot light prep

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

worz

I'm going to be over boarding a landing and some rooms - I'd like to get recessed spot lights installed, I assume you guys would have had to do this at some point

My question is, what is your method? over board, drill the holes for the spots them skim?

Also, how much do you space them by etc?

big thanks in advance

:RpS_thumbup: Sparky runs cables for spots at any desired distance,cuts larger holes in existing ceiling,then notes their placement,overboard ceiling,skim then cut holes to the notes

Spacing is dependent on joists, how many and size of room...
Spots should be located between joists with a minimum of 100mm distance to nearest joist (I believe)

Overboard, holes, then skim (easiest for sparks)

overboard, skim, then holes
(easiest for spread... Pain for sparks!)

If there's no access to the space above the ceiling for running cables etc defo run cables first as you/sparky will more than likely have to make additional holes to run cables through joists.
Buzz larger holes where the spots will go in original ceiling.
Measure out positions.
Overboard and then drill correct size holes for your spots.

Then skim

Hope that helps

Can I ask why it's easyer? The hole is in the same place and the same size weather its through the board or through the board and skim,no difference imo.
Anyway this is a plasterers forum were meant to stick together.fcuk the sparks.:RpS_lol:

You are right about the spacings etc but a sparks should tell him that,as I do believe with electrics the rules are unless your changing 'like for like' ie,pendulum light for pendulum light,socket for socket then a qualified sparks should be doing it.:RpS_thumbup:

Not the drilling of the hole that's easier, whether it's skimmed or not that makes no difference you're right.
Easier for sparks before skim for marking out, buzzing holes for cable runs etc.
I hate it when I've plastered a ceiling all lovely then a sparks comes in pinging chalk lines all over the place and then c*cks up and drills into a joist. :-(

Had it this week sparky decided I needed spots installed before overboarding when I got there made him take them all down n I shoved cables up they know where they go it's just being lazy half the time

Status
Not open for further replies.