Outside damp on rendering and corner bricks - should I be worried?

Members online

Newbie1135

Hi All,

In the last stages of a house purchase but I've come across some issues with the outside. The 2 main issues are:

1. The rendering seems to have damp which can be seen by the darker blotches on the rendering.

2. The corner of the house has damp on the bricks at the bottom.

My question is should I be worried about these points?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20201104_231817.jpg
    20201104_231817.jpg
    604.1 KB · Views: 602
  • 20201104_231921.jpg
    20201104_231921.jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 347
Hi All,

In the last stages of a house purchase but I've come across some issues with the outside. The 2 main issues are:

1. The rendering seems to have damp which can be seen by the darker blotches on the rendering.

Thanks
yes

Hi All,

Thanks
It's a yes from me. @Simon 1967?

Looks like building sand for the render Builders only use yellow sand = wrong

Decking is either level with dpc or above =
Splash above dpc = green mould not a deal breaker

your welcome

Yes i would be concerned with that render , its caused by water ingress on a thermal cracking render with a poor / bad choice of rendering materials , will only get worse imo , even with a good re- paint , on the ground level both decking and path looks way to high again imo

Last edited:
I’m gonna say no , think the deck needs a gap for water to not just bounce off it onto the bricks , that’s why in times gone by we had flower beds up against the house and the rendering could just need a sealer on to stop seeing what you see now when it’s wet from rain

I’m gonna say no , think the deck needs a gap for water to not just bounce off it onto the bricks , that’s why in times gone by we had flower beds up against the house and the rendering could just need a sealer on to stop seeing what you see now when it’s wet from rain
And the disabled access not too high on the path then ? Another flower bed ?

Thank you all for your replies, I really appericate it.

Based on what you've said Church and Vincent it's likely that the rendering needs to be done again, or the other solution is that they apply a waterproof sealer.

In terms of the damp on the bricks, the patio is indeed high, I believe they done it this way because there was a slight drop from the house to the garden.

I'm going to hopefully speak to the developer tomorrow to see what he plans to do but atleast now I'll have some reasons as what the issue and solutions could be! Thanks again all!

Thank you all for your replies, I really appericate it.

Based on what you've said Church and Vincent it's likely that the rendering needs to be done again, or the other solution is that they apply a waterproof sealer.

In terms of the damp on the bricks, the patio is indeed high, I believe they done it this way because there was a slight drop from the house to the garden.

I'm going to hopefully speak to the developer tomorrow to see what he plans to do but atleast now I'll have some reasons as what the issue and solutions could be! Thanks again all!

It’s wet on both corners. Parapet wall.

It’s wet on both corners. Parapet wall.

I just did abit of research on that and I have to say that's a great shout! I don't understand exactly why it's an issue but I guess it's because the water doesn't have anywhere to really drain away other than the side of the building.

If this is the issue any suggestions as to what can be done?

Thank you.