Opinions please

Members online

JessThePlasterer

Queen Jess Elizabeth I
we went to look at an upstairs room in an old pub with lime stone walls newly re-pointed on exterior.

The exterior walls are damp/mould on them. The windows are old single pane. The walls are cold. We said windows need replacing and to cover all grounds we were thinking of battening out (wrapped in DPC) and thermal boarding.

The pub company's project manager sent the below to the customer as their advice o_O. Just wondering your thoughts on what they've said! Thanks! Sorry it's long

Please find below some advice on internally insulating the wall as discussed.

The first option for installation is whereby the insulation is fixed directly to the wall. There are many products specifically designed for this method, with insulation bonded to plasterboard and with a vapour barrier. If the wall is relatively flat and in good condition, this can be an effective, quick method.

Boards can be glued directly to the wall with an adhesive specific for the purpose (Soudal plasterboard adhesive but perhaps too costly so a dot and dab method may be better). It is also recommended to use at least two mechanical fixings (screws) per board. Gaps between boards, at the ceiling and floor edges, should be filled with mastic and taped over before plaster skimming to ensure continuity of the vapour barrier. Ensuring a continuous, unperforated vapour barrier is the only effective way of dealing with a dew point that occurs in the wall.

•The boards can be expensive but this is offset slightly by the speed of installation and provides a more airtight installation

•The problem with this method is refixing heavy items such as kitchen cabinets, and hanging pictures, mirrors, etc.

What a lot of bs ! Lime stone is soft and I would not put anything but lime on that wall. Lime with cork or something else. Even Bauwer will be better than sticking boards on the wall.

What a lot of bs ! Lime stone is soft and I would not put anything but lime on that wall. Lime with cork or something else. Even Bauwer will be better than sticking boards on the wall.
That's in part why we were thinking of battening so there's airflow but the walls are really cold and there's condensation in the room.

I dont understand their advised method of dot an dab and sealing the board top and bottom to make it airtight! Wtf

That's in part why we were thinking of battening so there's airflow but the walls are really cold and there's condensation in the room.

I dont understand their advised method of dot an dab and sealing the board top and bottom to make it airtight! Wtf
Exactly wtf the f**k! They have never seen lime stone pointed with cement and I guarantee the pointing is not lime or even if it is it's not right . Lime render! End f story!

Exactly wtf the f**k! They have never seen lime stone pointed with cement and I guarantee the pointing is not lime or even if it is it's not right . Lime render! End f story!
I've no idea if it's lime pointing it's a chain pub so they're trying to cut costs. We were battening for airflow and keeping modern mats off the walls but trying to deal with the cold wall.

So lime render would allow it to breath so even if the walls cold there'd be no condensation as the walls is breathing throughout? Thanks bud

Walk away @jess and book a other job Iin with less headache!

When them/you f**k it up you will be the 2 birds that hasn't got a clue what they were doing!

Trust me!

Walk away @jess and book a other job Iin with less headache!

When them/you f**k it up you will be the 2 birds that hasn't got a clue what they were doing!

Trust me!
Oh fuckk yeah we're not dot dabbing mastic-ing shut the wall etc etc! :risas:

Actually zombie it's in Yorkshire so Plan B we're just going to pass your details on! :D

I was just interested in what everyone thought of their craziness and how they'd approach the job. Thanks

You can stick wool fibre insulation boards onto stone with a lime based dab. Then you lime on top of the boards. If you need to you can dub the stone out with lime render had a demo on it last year up in tattiescone land. Think it's called pavadro or something. Looked a canny system

Last edited:
Oh fuckk yeah we're not dot dabbing mastic-ing shut the wall etc etc! :risas:

Actually zombie it's in Yorkshire so Plan B we're just going to pass your details on! :D

I was just interested in what everyone thought of their craziness and how they'd approach the job. Thanks
I am actually surprised you asked that question. You are for a wile on here now and been through all the info and thought you are better than the grid girls :LOL:

I'm gonna petition for Grid Guys. It's sexist that major sporting events don't have them.

Why not submitt a price for what they propose and alternatively what you propose. Then just carry out the work they want done.

I have been issued specs from architects before where it has been stud work in front of sand stone then, kingspan insulated boards sealed top and bottom with mastic but, the external walls have been core drilled and soffit vents fitted thus creating air flow behind the stud wall.

I have been issued specs from architects before where it has been stud work in front of sand stone then, kingspan insulated boards sealed top and bottom with mastic but, the external walls have been core drilled and soffit vents fitted thus creating air flow behind the stud wall.

That's pretty much the way it should work.

You just need to turn it into a cavity wall. Which means creating a 'box within a box' by building a stud with a 50 mm gap between the inner leaf and the outer. To make the inner leaf worth having it needs to be insulated, and to make the wall work as a whole the cavity needs ventilating, ideally top and bottom to create airflow.