Opinion on plastering job

Members online

No members online now.

Shanagarry

Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but I'd like your views on a plastering job I've had done recently.

To give some background, we hired a builder to remove a wall and make good, as well as some additional tasks. In terms of plastering, this involved making good some areas where e.g. the old door frame was or the pipes were chased, skimming the rest of the wall, and plastering a new plasterboard dropped ceiling.

One area of the skimmed wall is cracked and a little bit has already fallen off, so clearly I'm not happy with that.

My queries relate to the rest of the work. There are visible sweeping trowel marks on the wall, some of which are rough to the touch. On the ceiling there are small ridges where it looks like he didn't fully spread all the plaster. In other sections the bits that have been filled are obvious. They're a bit difficult to photograph, but hopefully you can see what I'm talking about and give me your opinion as this is my first house, and my first building experience.

I sent him an email mentioning our unhappiness with the finish without going into detail, expecting to get into discussion from there. However, without asking what the issue is, he's offered to send someone round to sand. Ignoring the fact that won't fix the cracking issue, everything I'm reading suggests that a good plaster job shouldn't ever need more than a cursory sand. Is that correct?

What actually needs to be done to fix the problems?

Attachments

• IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 664
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    112.9 KB · Views: 669
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 676
yep I can safely say thats a bad job...

the bits that have come off.... scrape off any more lose stuff and see what is what.. of there is only a small bit then get some easi fill and fill it and sand :D

The ceiling.... well... hard to say for sure in the photos but get a coat of paint over it and see how bad it looks... sanding and filling is probably going to be the bets option..

I would also get the builder back before you start as well...

Easiest is just to get it re skimmed by someone who's on the ball. Sanding and patching could work too but it's a ballache

Bad job. I would say it's a reskim. You can ask to see the plasterers CSCS card and make sure it's. Blue skilled workers card. It proves that.he is a qualified plaster. Sadly it doesn't guarantee they are any good but it's a starting point. So options are remove loose plaster and fill yourself with filler from DIY store. Buy a hand sander and 120 or 100 grade sandpaper and give everything a good sand

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I guess he was cheap?? Plus available straightaway??? You live and learn !! Better having to wait for a professional services rather than that shite

I see s**t work on site and on private jobs all the time. I've found on site if they spend 5 mins telling you how good they are then I know what finish to expect. I was on a big job outside of a rugby ground all fined down, floated sand and cement . Needed help to finish before first game of season. Contacted agency. First lady turns up, sorry don't do outside work, second guy they send, he says why are you ruling it off, I lay it on all the same thickness, see he's a no start, 3 rd guy I only skim, 4th sounds the real deal, gets his tools out and he's got a piece of plastic cavity closure for a feather edge. He was gone after day one. 5th guy turns, by now I don't give a s**t, can't start the mixer, me turn the key, walks past me with mix, looks like the tides come in, me, better go scratch coating mate. That's plastering these days [emoji3]

Thanks all for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

The plasterer was a sub-contractor brought in by the builder. Said builder came recommended and wasn't the cheapest quote, but... It's not easy if you're new to an area and don't have personal recs.

So there's one vote for sanding and one for reskim - any other views?

I haven't paid for this thankfully, but I'm struggling with the thought of having him back to sort it out - I've no faith in them doing it properly and they were also incredibly messy. My solid oak worktops have been fitted so I really don't want anything to happen to them.

If I go the reskim route, what's the best way to find someone good to do this?

I see s**t work on site and on private jobs all the time. I've found on site if they spend 5 mins telling you how good they are then I know what finish to expect. I was on a big job outside of a rugby ground all fined down, floated sand and cement . Needed help to finish before first game of season. Contacted agency. First lady turns up, sorry don't do outside work, second guy they send, he says why are you ruling it off, I lay it on all the same thickness, see he's a no start, 3 rd guy I only skim, 4th sounds the real deal, gets his tools out and he's got a piece of plastic cavity closure for a feather edge. He was gone after day one. 5th guy turns, by now I don't give a s**t, can't start the mixer, me turn the key, walks past me with mix, looks like the tides come in, me, better go scratch coating mate. That's plastering these days [emoji3]

5 lol f**k me I wonder how many plasterers are left in the UK that are real plasterers.

Bumping into a plasterer who can do all disciplines of plastering is becoming very rare. Fair enough solid and fibrous usually went their separate ways, I've noticed rendering is going the same way, flow screed is very simple to learn and is a job on its own so that's the screeding gone. You have guys who just board some who just dab who have never floated a wall and skimmers who can only skim boards. Site work is no longer a plasterers job it's a skimmers the same goes for boarding, now domestic is where the skills are needed and unfortunately I see some shocking work that passes mainly due to some people not having a clue what to expect until they start painting. I do all sorts on domestics i can price and look at any job without the worry of not knowing what needs doing and this is were you will get found out. I was doing a. Job yesterday and the customer asked me if it was ok if they fried some bacon, I said unless your making me some it's fine, I kid you not the last plasterers they had said it would have an effect on the plaster so they had takeaways for three days lol. I've said before it all boils down to the colleges, qualification providers and the lack of knowledgeable instructors with an interest in the craft.

Bumping into a plasterer who can do all disciplines of plastering is becoming very rare. Fair enough solid and fibrous usually went their separate ways, I've noticed rendering is going the same way, flow screed is very simple to learn and is a job on its own so that's the screeding gone. You have guys who just board some who just dab who have never floated a wall and skimmers who can only skim boards. Site work is no longer a plasterers job it's a skimmers the same goes for boarding, now domestic is where the skills are needed and unfortunately I see some shocking work that passes mainly due to some people not having a clue what to expect until they start painting. I do all sorts on domestics i can price and look at any job without the worry of not knowing what needs doing and this is were you will get found out. I was doing a. Job yesterday and the customer asked me if it was ok if they fried some bacon, I said unless your making me some it's fine, I kid you not the last plasterers they had said it would have an effect on the plaster so they had takeaways for three days lol. I've said before it all boils down to the colleges, qualification providers and the lack of knowledgeable instructors with an interest in the craft.
Agree hundred percent. Was on a big job a while back. 16 spreads on site. 450 rooms All plasterboard apart from the 5 stairwells which had to be hardwalled and skimmed. Because it happened a few times before I new the score, none of them could do it. Good thing is I can name my price then.

I'm a Plastering Instructor at Bournemouth and Poole College so I'm replying in my defence. Both me and my colleague are still passionate about the 'art' of Plastering, with a collective wealth of 75 years experience. There has been a societal change in the attitudes towards the manual trades, whereby digital technologies reign supreme and de-skilling broke open an established apprenticeship. The rise of self employment in the building trade since the 70's also made 'quality assurance' more difficult to regulate. Successive governments have had to listen to trade bodies' concerns so only recently have we (hopefully) turned the corner. I take your point about qualifications as our level 1 certificate students are asked to produce 2m2 which is ridiculous! BUT.... There are students producing great work through our college who are also passionate about it, as there is nationwide. We can only teach who is front of us! (I need a lie down after that!)

I'm a Plastering Instructor at Bournemouth and Poole College so I'm replying in my defence. Both me and my colleague are still passionate about the 'art' of Plastering, with a collective wealth of 75 years experience. There has been a societal change in the attitudes towards the manual trades, whereby digital technologies reign supreme and de-skilling broke open an established apprenticeship. The rise of self employment in the building trade since the 70's also made 'quality assurance' more difficult to regulate. Successive governments have had to listen to trade bodies' concerns so only recently have we (hopefully) turned the corner. I take your point about qualifications as our level 1 certificate students are asked to produce 2m2 which is ridiculous! BUT.... There are students producing great work through our college who are also passionate about it, as there is nationwide. We can only teach who is front of us! (I need a lie down after that!)

nicely answered :D

I respect your point of view,when was the last time you had to price work,get it,sort out s**t after plumbers,electricians,carpenters, blocklayers, pay wages before you get paid and actually work?.

where in Surrey? we could come and sort it out with airless finish. It's a sprayed finish has very little over spray and is ideal for sorting out bad plastering

British gypsum now have 'thoroughly vetted ' Plasterer's that have been assessed by BG assesors , has any on here managed to get through the assessment process ,is it difficult

where in Surrey? we could come and sort it out with airless finish. It's a sprayed finish has very little over spray and is ideal for sorting out bad plastering
It looks like some of it needs to be scraped off ,(debonded) god knows what's underneath ,distemper ,paint ,not enough pva ,a too thin coat applied of plaster .

I respect your point of view,when was the last time you had to price work,get it,sort out s**t after plumbers,electricians,carpenters, blocklayers, pay wages before you get paid and actually work?.
Up until May this year. I've been self employed since the 80's working for builders, getting my own work, having to 'just sort that out before you start'. I'll be plastering during half term to bump up the money!

Up until May this year. I've been self employed since the 80's working for builders, getting my own work, having to 'just sort that out before you start'. I'll be plastering during half term to bump up the money!

Heh heh.

Good answer.

@Nicm see this picture? That's you, that is.

1374944400000.jpg

Bad job. I would say it's a reskim. You can ask to see the plasterers CSCS card and make sure it's. Blue skilled workers card. It proves that.he is a qualified plaster. Sadly it doesn't guarantee they are any good but it's a starting point. So options are remove loose plaster and fill yourself with filler from DIY store. Buy a hand sander and 120 or 100 grade sandpaper and give everything a good sand

I don't have a cscs card does that make me not skilled.

I don't have a cscs card does that make me not skilled.

No not at all you could be very experienced and skilled in all aspects of plastering to a high level. That's what I am trying to say in the post. A customer can ask to see there skilled workers CSCS card. It means they are qualified but sadly doesn't mean they are any good. Some of the best spreads I have worked with aren't qualified. They have just worked with the right people over the years with an open mind to learn. Maybe with an old head who had showed them the ins and outs of the game. The problem is as a customer how can you best ensure you employ a competent spread. I don't have an answer to that question. Word of mouth I guess. Good need work, at a good price by a friendly polite tradesmen sells itself.

Thanks @Danny lol

Can't comment on a picture even though a picture says a thousand words. What I will say though, and this will annoy a lot of begrudgers as we say in ireland, if the OP had got a BGCP plasterer to the job he would have been covered by the 2 yr garauntee, workmanship and material failure .
This WILL annoy a lot of the begrudgers on here, the OP may take a different route in the future but that's his bet

The last house I refurbished I used a plasterer that came recommended as he was an instructor in a local college, him and his mate looked at the job and we agreed a price for two coats top to bottom.

They were rubbish, one coated everything and even argued the toss when I saw what they were doing and argued that double trowelling was two coats lol!

This is the sort of people training the spreads of the future!

The last house I refurbished I used a plasterer that came recommended as he was an instructor in a local college, him and his mate looked at the job and we agreed a price for two coats top to bottom.

They were rubbish, one coated everything and even argued the toss when I saw what they were doing and argued that double trowelling was two coats lol!

This is the sort of people training the spreads of the future!

What's double trowelling?