Open fire place

Members online

Paulwhittle

Hi all,

I’m seeking some advice on this fire place.

I’m planning on either plastering over the brick work or using a plaster board. My question is, is a heat resistant plasterboard sufficient to do or the outside (front) of the open fire place? Should I then skim over with heat resistant plaster?

im planning on keeping the fire place as an open fire.

thanks in advance,

Paul

Attachments

• 21407E92-62C3-48AC-970D-F45EFABD08F9.jpeg
    21407E92-62C3-48AC-970D-F45EFABD08F9.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 141
Hi all,

I’m seeking some advice on this fire place.

I’m planning on either plastering over the brick work or using a plaster board. My question is, is a heat resistant plasterboard sufficient to do or the outside (front) of the open fire place? Should I then skim over with heat resistant plaster?

im planning on keeping the fire place as an open fire.

thanks in advance,

Paul
Honestly mate that looks horrendous, as said smash it all out.

I presume you are meaning to get rid of the stonework as delicately suggested above. In which case, it might crack but you will probably be ok with ordinary solid plaster or plasterboard - same as whatever is above it at the moment or you might have a crack line. Old style is render and skim but your place is newer than that.

But inside, if you're not fitting a proper fireback and using one of those useless firebaskets, use cement board or fireproof plaster, or lime plaster. Cement board is easiest and cheapest. Don't use pink plasterboard, it's not for that.
Don't forget ventilation inwards, all that air going up the chimney has to come from somewhere.
Better to bang it all out, enlarge it and fit a stove for some real heat without hassle.