Open a can of worms

Members online

Rossi46

Private Member
What are people opinions of this? Bridging the skills gap will only keep rates lower in my opinion. God forbid the rates should go up to a decent amount.
BG short course.
D24F0D93-FAC6-4B9A-9A6B-47D4CB2067E6.png

What are people opinions of this? Bridging the skills gap will only keep rates lower in my opinion. God forbid the rates should go up to a decent amount.
BG short course.
View attachment 54832
Get it done mate , plenty of opportunities on Facebook asking for that and you could get £18/hr
We're all gonna be rich

Bring it on !
clowns with a trowel

Why would BG de skill plastering
Ohh I know

your welcome

Apparently targeted at skilling labourers who are already employed, no charge for the course but the firm pay the wages for 6 weeks. But they already have to have some trowel skills first...chicken/Egg?

"Training more skim finishers to support plastering professionals" support huh?, their idea is that it leaves you do the tricky bits.
"A recent Manpower Group Talent Shortage Survey showed ...plasterers are a major part of that skills gap. One reason for this is that only 30% of construction diploma students then go on to work in the industry."

Don't see it changing anything, the schools will take people with grants etc e.g. armed forces leavers, who will then probably start up on their own being unable to get a start with a gang. Housebuilding firms just want cheapo skilled labourers who can skim plain walls and angles, and are moving ever nearer to taped board/dry installing with minimum wet trades.

Apparently targeted at skilling labourers who are already employed, no charge for the course but the firm pay the wages for 6 weeks. But they already have to have some trowel skills first...chicken/Egg?

"Training more skim finishers to support plastering professionals" support huh?, their idea is that it leaves you do the tricky bits.
"A recent Manpower Group Talent Shortage Survey showed ...plasterers are a major part of that skills gap. One reason for this is that only 30% of construction diploma students then go on to work in the industry."

Don't see it changing anything, the schools will take people with grants etc e.g. armed forces leavers, who will then probably start up on their own being unable to get a start with a gang. Housebuilding firms just want cheapo skilled labourers who can skim plain walls and angles, and are moving ever nearer to taped board/dry installing with minimum wet trades.
Very true I suspect on the sites it’s all about maximum profits to line someone’s pockets!

The fact they call you a plaster skimmer makes me want them to fail in millions of pounds worth of debt. Lose their houses and end up on the streets
That's a bloody terrible thing to wish on someone that just wants to better themselves. Disgusting attitude.
Anyone that's been on here for a few years will know that I hate all these short courses with a passion, but it's definitely not the people attending them that are in the wrong.

I think he meant the firm running it, but I understand the dermeaning name. Sign 'o the times, it hit all the expensive "professionals" first - law, accountancy, conveyancing businesses - lower skilled " Technicians" "Conveyancers" etc.
NOCN and all the other like them live off creating/inventing new qualifications and creating a trapped workforce with a limited income ceiling, with no way to get fully qualified except to go back to square one.

there is a shortage of cheap plasterers that what the developer is looking for. we had 1 pratt phone up to ask if we would go and float a house so that he could skim it.
the UK developers will follow those in northern Europe, their properties are built with what they call wallpaper blocks. which does just that.

plasterboard is a thing of the past, with party walls built with gypsum blocks. these are dovetailed together with just a tight bed of ceramic tile adhesive. dead straight and flat with a very good finish on the blocks. ceilings are pre cast concrete panels.

Plastering you dub out electric and pipe chases, joints in the concrete ceiling.float heads and reveals in Knauf gold band. fit thin coat beads, then the plasterer can either skim the whole wall or just skim the joints in the clockwork his choice. The skim is self finishing it comes ready mixed in large buckets. 1 coat just brush the internal angles. it sets on contact with air. wet rooms would have a skim of 1 coat render sponge finish. the rate of pay would be around 50 hours to complete a 4 bed house.

That's a bloody terrible thing to wish on someone that just wants to better themselves. Disgusting attitude.
Anyone that's been on here for a few years will know that I hate all these short courses with a passion, but it's definitely not the people attending them that are in the wrong.
I'm not condemning the people attending the courses. I'll never rundown someone who wants to better themselves. I'm condemning the scumbags running them and ruining this trade filling it with under skilled, uninformed 'plaster skimmers'

I'm not condemning the people attending the courses. I'll never rundown someone who wants to better themselves. I'm condemning the scumbags running them and ruining this trade filling it with under skilled, uninformed 'plaster skimmers'
You think that BG or Saint Gobain would go bust and lose their houses over a failed plastering course?

We're not too keen on these courses in our college. As somebody else has pointed out, It is a consequence of the de-skilling of labour since the 70's and the reduction of Indentured Apprenticeships. Tradesmen weren't really given the choice of Whether or not to 'go self-employed'. The failure of the building Industry to accept where it was all going meant they started to react too late. However, a lot of us make/ made a good living being self-employed but creates a 'Dog eat Dog' culture.

Most trades are similar. I've got a pal who's a plumber, he says the same in his sector, short courses poping up, to gain an creditation in plumbing. All it does is cheapen the trade. The days of apprenticeships are dying out.

Most trades are similar. I've got a pal who's a plumber, he says the same in his sector, short courses poping up, to gain an creditation in plumbing. All it does is cheapen the trade. The days of apprenticeships are dying out.
Yep my niece's husband did a short plumbing course and has never looked back. And didn't know one end of a spanner from another.

I think a lot of folks view this course wrong because of what it’s called , they should of called it the “help a training up plasterer gain more hands on skills course “
Apparently most on the course are already able to apply materials and have skills but the course enables upto 70 hours plus on the actual trowel being assisted by a knowledgeable tutor to tweak there skills set up , I presume it’s quite hard for folks to get this chance to do bigger hit areas while they are on the job with whoever is training them up.

I wonder if BG & Saint Gobain have foreseen a possiblity of all new builds going dry-fit and skimmers/powder gypsum plaster production becoming a much smaller market?
The board market would not be affected, so the reduction in the market size and consequent income would affect how many kilns they have on the go etc.

I wonder if BG & Saint Gobain have foreseen a possiblity of all new builds going dry-fit and skimmers/powder gypsum plaster production becoming a much smaller market?
The board market would not be affected, so the reduction in the market size and consequent income would affect how many kilns they have on the go etc.
Eh?

i.e, If all of Boris's thousands of new houses don't use plaster at all..or very little. Perfectly possible to do that now, done in various other countries - USA, Australia, I think some EU countries - as per Malc.
One of my bike buddies works for a Yorkshire firm who make bolt-in bathrooms complete all fittings, no plaster required. Arrives on a truck, screw to the studwork and push fit the plumbing connections.