One for the traditionalists

Jgreenplastering

Private Member
How would I achieve this finish?

Just making good where we've installed a bellcast bead and want to match in best as possible.
35ad176af7003c5e0b3478b78b3570bc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chippings mixed in your sand and cement thrown on ,the bearer bits are just where stones have come away over time , looks like 1920s to me with quite a few licks of paint.

Chippings mixed in your sand and cement thrown on ,the bearer bits are just where stones have come away over time , looks like 1920s to me with quite a few licks of paint.

Sounds good I'll give it a go. Will it be bags of chippings to dust or just chippings mixed in.

Sounds good I'll give it a go. Will it be bags of chippings to dust or just chippings mixed in.

If I'm right we would do a little practice area say 1/2m2 to judge how much to mix in (6mm ) I think but let's see what the older dudes say about the picture I might be wrong.
Just looks like what we would call wet dash to me , sometimes use a thick plastic glove to throw it on which keeps it thin over all instead of a harling trowel

Maybe it's my eyes or perhaps the picture, it looks to me like it is a paint finish done by a roller or something.

Like I say, I'm blind as a bat anyway. :)

Def stones of some sort in the mix.
Thought it was wet dash or roughcast.
A lot of paint over the years on top.

Is wet dash mixed a bit stiffer than normal to get the thickness on so the stones don't make it slump if wet?

yep looks like wet dashing/rougcasting, looks like a dorset spar a bit more rounded than your usual, just paint a bit of textured paint on completion to blend it in , sandtex or similar ilk. needs to be sloppy really to get an even spread, and you need to throw it with a bit of force.

to me it looks like a light roughcast using pea shingle as the stones look round, chips are more angular. it has been painted umpteen times and the pattern has been almost lost.
to try to match i would render in sand and cement then a heavy coat of tyrolean mix from sand and cement sprayed with a hand applied gun.sprayed the same day that it is rendered, to get a decent suction.
i think this would blend in when the wall is decorated.

Last edited:
to me it looks like a light roughcast using pea shingle as the stones look round, chips are more angular. it has been painted umpteen times and the pattern has been almost lost.
to try to match i would render in sand and cement then a heavy coat of tyrolean mix from sand and cement sprayed with a hand applied gun.sprayed the same day that it is rendered, to get a decent suction.
i think this would blend in when the wall is decorated.

Thanks malc
They had tyrolean before to match and it was terrible to be honest.
Although if it was heavier and they didn't coat it as much so the honeycomb was more blobby it would of been better.
Trial and error I suppose.
I'll give it a go.

Thanks malc
Although if it was heavier and they didn't coat it as much so the honeycomb was more blobby it would of been better.
I'll give it a go.

that is what i mean, a heavy, light spray. you will have to give it a trial as it need to be wet to give the rounded look.

Just making good where we've installed a bellcast bead and want to match in best as possible.

Mix just sharp (screeding sand) and cement 3 in 1 with water to a soupy consistency, then dash it with a harling trowel - once it's on the wall you can lay down any peaks if it needs it.

It looks like @Lodan skimming so you ask him how he does it..........................:inocente: or ask the plasterplum or vinnie or whatever he's called cos he taught him...........................:risas:

Looks like either a fine aggregate wet dash but could be a fine dry dash with plenty of slump. If it is dry dash then it has had lots of paint over the years taking the sharpness off.

Consider using horticultural grit as a dash then thick masronry paint.

IMG_3489.JPG
Thanks malc
I'll give it a go.

That's a bit of scudding - details as above.

Looks like either a fine aggregate wet dash but could be a fine dry dash with plenty of slump. If it is dry dash then it has had lots of paint over the years taking the sharpness off.

Consider using horticultural grit as a dash then thick masronry paint.

It's not a fine finish , def bigger than dry dash, I'd say minimum of 5mm with some up to 15-20mm. Need to play to find the right mix

Thick as you dare coat of render, then throw golden pea used on older council houses here you get a mixed size round stone with that, then press in to render in places to match pattern when dry loads of paint to dull it down to match.

I had to do something like that recently only it was internal. Sand, skim, bonding and used a trowel, sponge and brush. Quickest skimming I've ever did!

They don't know how to do nap over here, I.e, U.K. . In fact they struggle with skimming :numberone:

I'd never seen napping untill I moved to the west. It's all they do here thou when we get asked to float a wall, we just rub up with sponge! It's getting the mix correct for napping. I've seen a 3-1-1 mix and 4-1cement and 2 shovels lime in the mixer. I'm near sure the mix we got when on day work before was a 2 sand-1cement-1lime and itvset really quick.

I would use a fatty wet dash mix with half the chippings or less than half and tamp it lightly with a sponge to take the edge off the appearance