One coat skimming

Members online

Thought I'd try it today after a few tips from algeeman
I don't really like skimming so the quicker it's done the better
It came out tidy and I was sitting around waiting for it to go off!!
[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers mate....youl be happier inside now the colds setting in.
Youve got a licence to print money !!!

I've been on the tools for 24 years and mainly do rendering works now and have other's do the internal work
Whatever makes the job easier is a good thing for me
I find skimming really boring and hard on my tiring body and f**k*d back
I'll hold back from showing my apprentice's though as it'll confuse them!!!
One coat x£6m2=$$$$$$

I'm a it reluctant to give away the full receipt but yes a sponge was used at some point!!
Cheers aleeman[emoji106]

One coat skimming can be done but it all depends on your working surface, Boards are the easiest to one coat (provided the scrim is coated first).

Personally would never apply one coat to Bonding, Hardwall, or Render. Just to much suction to gain a good finish.

It really does depend on skill level and pace, one coat will set fast and without a laying in coat there will be more to fill.

But yes it can be done, each to there own.

One coat skimming can be done but it all depends on your working surface, Boards are the easiest to one coat (provided the scrim is coated first).

Personally would never apply one coat to Bonding, Hardwall, or Render. Just to much suction to gain a good finish.

It really does depend on skill level and pace, one coat will set fast and without a laying in coat there will be more to fill.

But yes it can be done, each to there own.
What do you mean more to fill

I've been on the tools for 24 years and mainly do rendering works now and have other's do the internal work
Whatever makes the job easier is a good thing for me
I find skimming really boring and hard on my tiring body and f**k*d back
I'll hold back from showing my apprentice's though as it'll confuse them!!!
One coat x£6m2=$$$$$$

Giz a job

What do you mean more to fill
2nd coat is for laying down and getting nice and flat and in theory filling the bumbs and hollows. It's all a process, 2nd / laying in coat is designed to make the troweling up process easier going. Of course nothing in plastering is set in stone and 80% key is the background on which you are working.

Sorry for being a bore, but this was how I was taught.

Also a little tip if anyone is interested - Most Spreaders will know this and I'm not trying to be clever, just giving advice.

When skimming try and use a trowel that is broken in to f**k, it helps enormously.

But surely if one coating you knock up a round bucket and go over tapes beads door linings and any suspect bits give it ten then coat the lot

Also a little tip if anyone is interested - Most Spreaders will know this and I'm not trying to be clever, just giving advice.

When skimming try and use a trowel that is broken in to f**k, it helps enormously.
I use them straight out the box never had a problem

My first coat is used to level out and fill to get a flat finish ready for a 1mm flat second coat. Done with a fresh mix in most cases unless it's got a good bit of suction then maybe the same original mix.

I do my own labouring these days and once I put a bucket of gear on my spot-board I wash out, It takes 2 mins and it gives me a clean bucket on hand always.

Only take 1 Skimming bucket on jobs with me to stop me getting lazy. :) But most of my work is domestic, it wouldn't work on site.

I do my own labouring these days and once I put a bucket of gear on my spot-board I wash out, It takes 2 mins and it gives me a clean bucket on hand always.

Only take 1 Skimming bucket on jobs with me to stop me getting lazy. :) But most of my work is domestic, it wouldn't work on site.
I do that now, only taking one bucket to make me clean it

Before 8.am...

Attachments

• 20161108_075722.jpg
    20161108_075722.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 464
  • 20161108_075715.jpg
    20161108_075715.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 409
  • 20161108_075707.jpg
    20161108_075707.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 426
  • 20161108_075702.jpg
    20161108_075702.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 399
  • 20161108_075649.jpg
    20161108_075649.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 480
One coat skimming works well if done right.
Practice makes perfect.
You can get 3 good hits a day and still be going at 3-3.30

I mix it straight away but like water and leave it standing in the bucket
I used to do that but don't do it anymore, I also used to get my first coat on and then second coat straight on top and flatten in first coat as I went along second coating, if that makes sense? Now I first coat, flatten, second coat flatten etc.