on reskimming a small wall do i still need pva

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duncan

hi i have a small wall to skim which has already been skimmed and painted , normaly i pva a couple of times then skim over when tacky, but i need to get this done quick as it will be an evening job,
so was wondering if i just go on fast with multi finish for the first coat, it will suck in quicker , then get the second coat on,
or do i still need pva
any tips on speeding things up a bit would be great
cheers Duncan

depends on what its painted with mate, silk paint and youll prolly get away with it, use multi...if not just give it a real wet one coat pva that'll dry by the time youve set up and mixed up and get a move on :)
only problem youre ever likely to come across in this situation is too much suction, thats what the pva is for, less for a bond than to control suction...sometimes if it crazes slightly the top coat will get it but i'd rather it not do...the times youll need a 'bond' is when you got absolutely NO suction...so wba is the answer...or devil float the surface first...
anyway, 1 small wall, put it on thick in one coat and stay on the trowel as soon as its ready to flatten and youll have it in an hour...
(that didnt come from me if anyone asks btw :p)
just gotta ask though...if its already been skimmed and painted, why's it bein done again??

hi i have a small wall to skim  which has already been skimmed and painted ,  normaly i pva a couple of times then skim over when tacky,   but i need to get this done quick as it will be an evening job,  
so was wondering if i just go on fast with multi finish for the first coat,  it will suck in quicker ,  then get the second coat on,  
or do i still need pva
any tips on speeding things up a bit would be great
cheers Duncan

It wont stick quicker, it prolly wont stick at all.
If its silk, give it one coat of thick PVA then get your buckets and gear set up. Have a cuppa, then it should be ready.

If its matt paint, one or two coats of PVA diluted.

The more you try and rush a job, the longer it will take.

But you can get away with using a dirty water mix on your second coat. That will go off like a rocket.

cheers big segs
ye the one coat plastering i did think about lol, it seems the way they do it on new builds its the onlyway i can see them doing it so quick , or someone not telling me somthing :-X

there hundreds of holes in the wall, think who ever lived there before must of had loads of shelfs up

i think its just matt paint ,

cheers Dunc

Status
Not open for further replies.