Old Walls - Different advice

Cmccullagh92

Hi there,

We’ve stripped back some ancient lining paper and picture frames to find a mixture of old bonding/plaster over the old stone walls.

One plasterer has advised that the walls are likely to pourous to skim and that we would be best to re line the walls with lining paper.

Another has suggested two coats of pva before skimming would be fine.

I tend to agree with the pva option, I’m just wondering if we would be better doing 2 x PVA and then thistle bonding before skimming?

It is a small hallway so we aren’t too concerned about it being perfect - pics attached

Attachments

• E943F2A8-4B39-49DF-A284-CB030330CED1.jpeg
    E943F2A8-4B39-49DF-A284-CB030330CED1.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 175
  • 65D6DA65-75E0-4C3B-BCED-03F8E0555BB3.jpeg
    65D6DA65-75E0-4C3B-BCED-03F8E0555BB3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 174
  • D4666FA4-828D-4835-BAAB-5DB30490B46D.jpeg
    D4666FA4-828D-4835-BAAB-5DB30490B46D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 161
  • ACA63610-6E1F-4C75-B634-8B7DE296A8C7.jpeg
    ACA63610-6E1F-4C75-B634-8B7DE296A8C7.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 182
The first plasterer is talking s**t,he dont want the job or he's to slow to keep up with it agree with the fact they look pourous bur can easily be controlled and skimmed by an experienced spread
Haha thought so. So let the second guy tear away with 2 x PVA & skim? Or would thistle bonding before skimming work better.

Sugar soap sponge off walls
Knock off snots
50/50 water sbr
Bostik grit & skim
Accept more likleyhood of fine shrinkage cracks which are easily filled before painting
Can mesh first coat too?

Last edited:
Pretty much what monkey boy said but without the sbr, I would either pva and skim it if its whats the customer is willing to pay, personally if it was me I would give it a tight bonding coat or two just to straighten it out more and bed mesh in the bonding coat then skim but that would cost more but there's nothing wrong just having it skimmed

@Monkey Boy @Stewie03

Ok so the two options are:

1. Scrim tape, PVA, Bostik Grit & Skim

Or

2. Scrim tape, PVA, thistle undercoat plaster, skim

Basically i’m going to buy the materials and prep the walls for the plasterer to come and skim so whatever is the safest bet!

as monkey said.....sbr before bostik green grit that will control suction a little bit more, that's to specs on back of tub... fk pva off
bostik grit 30 quid in toolstation
consider render mesh across whole area embedded in first skim this will minimize the risk more against movement and hairline cracks appearing in new skim

One plasterer has advised that the walls are likely to pourous to skim and that we would be best to re line the walls with lining paper.

Another has suggested two coats of pva before skimming would be fine.

If you need a 3rd opinion, I can recommend an excellent plasterer (y):

as monkey said.....sbr before bostik green grit that will control suction a little bit more, that's to specs on back of tub... fk pva off
bostik grit 30 quid in toolstation
consider render mesh across whole area embedded in first skim this will minimize the risk more against movement and hairline cracks appearing in new skim
Great, so render mesh following the coat of bostik grit, assuming that stuff dries fairly quickly?