Old skool v new skool

Members online

No members online now.

zombie

Private Member
Sometimes you really do have to wonder...had a new spread with me today gets out his spat & s*p*r*lex flattened off blabla...

I then spent the next 1hr trying to take all the ripples and bollox out of the skim with the 1 marshal trowel used from start to finish!

Just what you want on a fooookin saturday! NOT!!!

I'm sure in the right hands these tools are good but the problem is the vast majority using them don't have a clue about them and I'll put myself in that category as well.

Apart from a bit of a speedskim on big areas I just stick to my MT...tried superflexes and stuff but kept coming back to the trowel so stopped bothering

I keep away from the s*p*r*lex in the winter,only use it for last rub when I do use it.I think a lot of the newer generation don't understand the wearing in a trowel process.It's like society in general they want everything instantly.

Think the same about some off the materials too I'm lost maybe just getting too old seen a joiner one day with a collins diy book fitting a kitchen few years ago nowadays they lift the phone and say they can do plastering mad world

I have 1 skimming trowel 1 floating trowel and that's me. I've been the same since 16 and don't want to change the way I work .the only new tool I would rate are them nela trowel.had a go of a pal of mines and yes they are good for a final

A good plasterer will always be a good plasterer regardless of tool and materials because one will have a good understanding of the trade and how things should be done .imo

Four trowels, 70's tyzack 8in carbon with a wooden Marshall town handle sharp as a scalpel, a marshalltown carbon from the 90's also sharp as, another Marshall town ss and a new ss tyzack. When I started most tradesmen had a finishing trowel a trowel for coating and maybe one for rendering/rough casting.

Four trowels, 70's tyzack 8in carbon with a wooden Marshall town handle sharp as a scalpel, a marshalltown carbon from the 90's also sharp as, another Marshall town ss and a new ss tyzack. When I started most tradesmen had a finishing trowel a trowel for coating and maybe one for rendering/rough casting.
When I started in mixed with a stick and podge. Things move on brother.

When I started in mixed with a stick and podge. Things move on brother.
They do, but plastering isn't computers. Not a lot of room for the killer move in technology. I've got a hawk and trowel I'm sure that combo will still be in fashion for some time to come.

Yes you are right but things are moving on and we can't ignore that. i was stuck in the old ways but recently decided to try some of the new tool that have come out and bought a ox ultra flex and a set of speed skims and have not looked back as they are great tools to have . Many post on here have been about the quality of multi finish and how some are having problems achieving a good finish and i was having the same problems with tiger stripes etc but since using my ultraflex for troweling up i have not had the issues i was getting before .as for the speed skims well they just make flattening so much quicker and easy'r and when you work on your own doing ceilings .

I do try new new stuff that comes out to see if it actually works or makes set easier but I always go back to using my mt trowel because it finishes a set much better. Maybe because I'm not used to the new timings on these flash tools.

If it works for you Choppa then it aint broke so why try and fix it. All that matters at the end of the day is as trades men we leave a good job that is to an acceptable standard . how we achieve that is up to you.

If it works for you Choppa then it aint broke so why try and fix it. All that matters at the end of the day is as trades men we leave a good job that is to an acceptable standard . how we achieve that is up to you.
Agreed. I just like to try new things :)

@Dropsalot summed it up perfectly when he said a supper flex is just like a really well worn in trowel. I was a fan of them at first but have gone back to carbon Mt. Occasionally I'll get a flex out for last wipe but not so often now

The problem is people THINK they can plaster because of these new tools and their outrageous claims and do not actually learn how to plaster.
Don't forget YouTube and this forum and last but not least the guys guys guy:Dand the likes

What a stupid thread , I've got and use nearly every trowel that has ever been released, all my walls look absolutely brilliant,

Maybe I am just good :numberone:

But I haven't had my eyes tested for 28 years :bananahappy:

:risas:

Last edited:
I'm sure in the right hands these tools are good but the problem is the vast majority using them don't have a clue about them and I'll put myself in that category as well.
I've produced some really nice work with a s*p*r*lex but sadly it's inconsistent I often end up struggling to use it properly ending up with ripples or tear marks, don't get that problem with my standard skimming trowel.

I've produced some really nice work with a s*p*r*lex but sadly it's inconsistent I often end up struggling to use it properly ending up with ripples or tear marks, don't get that problem with my standard skimming trowel.
I'm the same mate, think I've got it mastered then bang, looks like shite lol

I use the speedskim then I use my mt. Use s*p*r*lex for last trowel that's it. It's that simple. Just makes it a little bit easier on the arm. I use the sponge sometimes as well.

These tools wouldn't still be on the market if they didn't work. I think you just need someone who can actually plaster with you.

These tools wouldn't still be on the market if they didn't work. I think you just need someone who can actually plaster with you.
I remember old guys saying that you won't be an actual plasterer until they invent speedskim. That was a thing back in the day. I count myself lucky to have seen that day.

Evolution. That is what it is. A few years ago there was only Tyzack as a "proper" trowel, all else was crap.......then we got a bit richer and went off travelling further for our holibobs, and naturally had a little look at the tools used. Then we have a bit of supply and demand, and then tool suppliers saw opportunity, and then .......choices!
Now, because we plasterers are top of the evolutionary building tree, we soon realised that you don't have to be absolutely knackered in order to be a good plasterer.........so we chucked out the old bike cogs and soon got a drill involved.....(up pops another entrepreneur...).... and then we got bigger buckets...and blah, blah.......
Now, we don't have long drawn out debates over the benefits of buckets, not really......no-one saying "I've tried them all but keep going back to the old faithful 3 gallon builders bucket".........."I've chucked out the Eibenstock and got out the bike cog, coz it mixes better".......once upon a time plumb bobs were all we had.......then we found stabila......

Good plastering is not all about the tool.........it's all about the "tool" holding the tool......
Stilts! There's another evolutionary invention.........beats holding a dwarf with a trowel over your head all day long........who'd go back to that?

Evolution. That is what it is. A few years ago there was only Tyzack as a "proper" trowel, all else was crap.......then we got a bit richer and went off travelling further for our holibobs, and naturally had a little look at the tools used. Then we have a bit of supply and demand, and then tool suppliers saw opportunity, and then .......choices!
Now, because we plasterers are top of the evolutionary building tree, we soon realised that you don't have to be absolutely knackered in order to be a good plasterer.........so we chucked out the old bike cogs and soon got a drill involved.....(up pops another entrepreneur...).... and then we got bigger buckets...and blah, blah.......
Now, we don't have long drawn out debates over the benefits of buckets, not really......no-one saying "I've tried them all but keep going back to the old faithful 3 gallon builders bucket".........."I've chucked out the Eibenstock and got out the bike cog, coz it mixes better".......once upon a time plumb bobs were all we had.......then we found stabila......

Good plastering is not all about the tool.........it's all about the "tool" holding the tool......
Stilts! There's another evolutionary invention.........beats holding a dwarf with a trowel over your head all day long........who'd go back to that?

bang on the money that

:numberone:
And all that reflects on the price! The quicker we are the less we got paid!

Evolution of plaster world, now we are talking, big up dropsalot

The wheels keep on turning
This is what we came for.