Old school trowels

Members online

tyzak

if you can zoom in there is a price on the handle , I put this away in the 70s

Attachments

• F5654966-317C-44E1-B627-40FA4129A9CB.jpeg
    F5654966-317C-44E1-B627-40FA4129A9CB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 609
i had a double shank, red handle tyzak trowel unused. these double shank trowels where not popular as you could not hang it on a bucket. sold it on ebay for £60 a couple of years ago.

I still think back to buying my first trowel tyzack or mt were the only serious contenders, I saw one of those double shank tyzacks in the local merchants but it was so expensive I went for the mt. Wish I at least tried out the tyzack.

if you can zoom in there is a price on the handle , I put this away in the 70s
I got exactly the same one from 1974 , same year I was born and it’s as flat as still now , tbh I use it on backing plasters and exterior works still and like the handle too

My first trowel I still have now... but it is not as pretty as this old stuff... I am not sure I will ever have the same feeling you guys have... lol

The Tyzaks were undoubtedly well put together trowels, made from quality steel, but they didn't give a better finish than a cheap Ragni or CK.
I do have a Tyzak letter opener.

i had a double shank, red handle tyzak trowel unused. these double shank trowels where not popular as you could not hang it on a bucket. sold it on ebay for £60 a couple of years ago.
That was my first trowel, the plasterer I was working with took i me to the tool shop in the shopping centre we were working on and told me what to buy, cost me a fortune and being a t**t I used it for scraping floors and f**k*d the end toe rivet

The Tyzaks were undoubtedly well put together trowels, made from quality steel, but they didn't give a better finish than a cheap Ragni or CK.
I do have a Tyzak letter opener.
Ragnis were a decent trowel , with a comfortable handle too , plastic version of the tyzack handle

Ragnis were a decent trowel , with a comfortable handle too , plastic version of the tyzack handle

I have a couple in the shed still.
the grey handled one had a tendency to bow across the blade so it looked like the letter U, made them great for skimming curves.

Render & Set used to get them so sharp! I’ve got a stainless one in the shed, every now and again I let her work her magic........she ain’t forgotten
Nope......

Are you going to start using any of them again? They look brilliant quality, shame they don’t make tyzack like that anymore
I still use them, I use the double shank for floating and a worn one for finishing. The red handled ones are a harder steel and take ages to break in.

I still use them, I use the double shank for floating and a worn one for finishing. The red handled ones are a harder steel and take ages to break in.
Collectors items now I would think. I wish I got a brand new one when I first started but I opted for the mt because the guys I was working with used mt so I followed them.

Mint those (y).
I have a couple of the centenary tyzacks ones about f**k*d, The others never been used Im not sure i can bring myself to get it dirty.

@Vincey get your box of tissues ready
Might sound proper mad now but who cares I think it’s quite fascinating stuff ,
Last year I researched the original tyzack and how they were made compared to today’s type trowels , tyzack of back in the day before they were brought out were made solely from locally produced steel in Sheffield with (If I’m correct copper rivets )
Those rivets plus the Sheffield grade quality of steel were what made them such a good trowel, more interesting still is the people who were there in Sheffield making those components of the old school tyzack have there own group where they discussed there roles at the old factory, tbh I would of loved to of had more time to actually try to found out of those workers (or retired ones ) what exactly was different in the the old Sheffield steel grade make up to the steel from today (probably from abroad) but obviously couldn’t as I have a life.
I did however found out that quality Sheffield steel is still available today from very small independent companies there but again I didn’t have the time to investigate this further.

Alot of the old boys when i started talked about the Distons in much the same way as we now talk about the tyzacks.
Although they were probably pretty rare back then, i think they were north american/ canadian, with no Amazon or eBay and probably little or no importers out side of London.
so Will the future marshalltown generations look back at the permashape with the same level of fondness?.
Or is it just a case of nostalgia not been what it used to be?.

Oh, my word......
That collection invokes proper nostalgia and only confirms the phrase “ you’ll miss it when it’s gone”......
To the young ‘uns that will be like looking at the first mobile phone or a spectrum computer......it saddens me that they will never know the joys of “breaking in” such a tool.......the hours struggling with a flat, stiff , unforgiving piece of metal, and the joy when you realise that “it’s broken”....and, from that day, it will only get better!!!!

Oh, my word......
That collection invokes proper nostalgia and only confirms the phrase “ you’ll miss it when it’s gone”......
To the young ‘uns that will be like looking at the first mobile phone or a spectrum computer......it saddens me that they will never know the joys of “breaking in” such a tool.......the hours struggling with a flat, stiff , unforgiving piece of metal, and the joy when you realise that “it’s broken”....and, from that day, it will only get better!!!!
And once it’s broken in, start thinking about buying another one and break that one in:LOL:

Oh, my word......
Never seemed any hassle breaking a trowel in when I was doing acres of F&S with S&C. Even a couple of floor screeds pushed them along.
I also think that the younger generation will never get to realise that you can get just as much work done with the little 11in trowels as the bigger ones that are prevalent today.

Never seemed any hassle breaking a trowel in when I was doing acres of F&S with S&C. Even a couple of floor screeds pushed them along.
I also think that the younger generation will never get to realise that you can get just as much work done with the little 11in trowels as the bigger ones that are prevalent today.
I was saying about the 12 inch mt I’ve got but I can’t get used to it , 14 inch is best for me

i do have a couple of Tyzak banding tools for creating the half rounds around a render panel.

when i first saw a marshalltown 14" trowel i had to drive to London to be able to purchase one. the other plasterers called it a sword .

archie o'connell took one look at the marshalltown and said i want a couple of hundred of them so that all my day workers will have one to use . archies plasterers got the union to stop him doing this because on the box of the marshalltown trowel it stated it was a cement finishing trowel and they as plasterers would only use a 11" plastering trowel.

They will do when their elbows blow out Andy