Old school scaffold

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucius

bth_untitled_zps1429b991.png

I can get it bigger but can't change the quality.
Think you need to go to specsavers steve :RpS_unsure:

photo-2011.jpg

That scaffold is a luxury to some of the scaffolds I worked off in the 70,s and 80,s.

I did a gable once in the early 90,s off 2 towers up to gutter height then a staging board between the 2 towers. Then a 3m ladder of the staging board to reach the apex. I put a hook in the wall and tied the ladder to the wall and me to the ladder in case it collapsed. Hacked off and 2 coated it. There was only me daft enough and brave enough to do it.

What a recession can make you do.

Yeah, done a few like that. One plank 3 or 4 lifts up. Two of you chipping off and looking like a couple of crows on a telephone wire :RpS_crying:

Yeah i have worked of worse we used to render fronts of houses in the 80s on the grant jobs bandstands on bandstands the hairiest was pointing the back of a house over a glass leanto with the scaffold board sitting on a bit of 4by2 fixed to the wall with 2 dutch pins.

We did a roof on a garage,we had tressils extended to full height and we were short of one tressil to reach the end of the roof so we used
a pallet on end lifted at the bottom with blocks to reach the height,i have a photo of it on my phone.

I once worked for a guy who would make us work of the the top of his high top transit, nearly as dodgy as that scaffold!
Always looks worse looking back,
Still, anything to get the job done eh!

i watched a guy pebbledash a house off of a ladder a few years ago and yes he did a great job !!......

In 88 I had a ladder on a public transport bus stop roof. Bus driver told us off and we was only ten minutes or so. Just after we had done a bus inspector came round.

Can you imagine trying this today with the blame & claim culture?

i watched a guy pebbledash a house off of a ladder a few years ago and yes he did a great job !!......

There was a father & son team near me what did all theres off ladders up to late and it always looked good. Father has retired now and the son has took up block paving.

Bugger that, knees must be shot.

Theres a dasher on my estate that still uses towers and forms corners with a stick. Only hacks off to scratch coat and unbonds over the top. Only a bit cheaper than me, must be making a mint!

When I was a labourer, working with my grandfather, he used to get me holding scaff board on my shoulders whilst he skimmed stairwell ceiling.... crazy when you look back at it!!

There was a father & son team near me what did all theres off ladders up to late and it always looked good. Father has retired now and the son has took up block paving.

Bugger that, knees must be shot.

Theres a dasher on my estate that still uses towers and forms corners with a stick. Only hacks off to scratch coat and unbonds over the top. Only a bit cheaper than me, must be making a mint!
All dashers in London used to work of ladders and cripples on one board doing houses.

When I was a labourer, working with my grandfather, he used to get me holding scaff board on my shoulders whilst he skimmed stairwell ceiling.... crazy when you look back at it!!

Think yourself lucky your grandad wasn't as fat as me:RpS_blushing:

Few years back the firm I worked for were quiet so I had to jump on with the DPC lads for a few days.
We had a job where we were to spray a gable with water-repellent.
Long story short, the ladder we had was not quite long enough, so I parked me van on the pavement and put the ladder off of the roof rack up the gable. Just about reached the top.

Fooking madness, wouldn't do it now mind.

Mate of mine once used a kids' banana slide (like a big stepladder) to reach the peak on a big gable end :RpS_laugh:

I watched a mate rendering a gable off a tower put the boards on the hand rails so he could reach, but was still short so had to use a hop up.

Think we've probably all worked off some dodgy scaffolds at some time,and still here to tell the tale:-0Lucky barstewards:RpS_laugh: pin and pole scaffold?? Anyone?:RpS_crying:

Think we've probably all worked off some dodgy scaffolds at some time,and still here to tell the tale:-0

Sounds about right.. skimming a full height wall in a barn conversion, two extendible ladders with a couple of battens across, pair of rickety step ladders on that and a crate on them. Stretching with trowel in one hand and holding onto the eves with the other... Certainly a twitchy arse moment.

the Pudlock scaffold,cant beat it in the 70s brickies and hoddies used to do the scaff, it was in our price but i was on the job in the late 80s all pudlock and some dickhead fork lift driver fcuked up and pulled the whole loading bay of the wall and some one got proper hurt, never seen it used since round my way

At it's most basic it would be like this Steve......

Use a plugging chisel:

Plugging-Chisel-JJT2237-_zps6136f9f4.jpg

Cut a slot out of a brick mortar joint with the chisel.
Insert one of these putlog scaffolding tubes:

00068_zps73616713.jpg

After ensuring a tight fit of the putlog with some wooden chocs, attatch an upright scaffold tube (21ft usually) to the putlog, usually standing it about 3-4ft away from the wall and plumb it up. Repeat this process something like 8-10ft further along the wall and then chuck a plank across, resting on top of the putlogs. Stand on the plank and then plug another slot about 6-7ft directly above the first putloc and bang a putloc in there.
Once you had achieved the desired height, if you had any tubes left, you would then tie the uprights together with a tube fitted horizontally (some people even referred to these as "handrails") If you were really lucky you had a "Handrail" on each lift, and if you were really, really lucky you had 3 or 4 planks on each lift as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.