Old legend

Members online

Cornelius

Been back on the tools this week and working on a local site. Met some other plasterers doing the internals of another plot and the one chap was 71 years old. Still getting stuck in. Got to respect the older tradesmen that have served the trade for so long and still on the tools, I love to see an older guy at work and always think you can learn so much from the older generation. 71 is the oldest I’ve met and another guy who was 68 I watched him float and set effortlessly and you just have to appreciate the dedication that these guys put into the trade. Anyone met older than 71? I can’t imagine being able or wanting to do it past retirement age.

sorry cornelius,...mentioned here before ,...gordon reardon from carlisle,.....age 82,..still plastering and will not retire until he has beaten his brother who was 84 and still plastering,......gordon top man,..always there for advice well respected,.........but anyhoooooooo not for me ,out of this game soon as poss

I did meet a chippie about six months ago and he was still working at 67, when I asked him why he hasn’t retired he replied “I think I’ll die if I retire “ he had bad diabetes and think getting up each day and working was good for him. 82 and 84?! That’s insane.

My tradesman when I was an apprentice was 68 and lasted until my final year. Ex desert rat smoked a pipe wore a tweed suit and shirt and tie and tweed cap and changed into his white bib and brace with his white jacket.
Guess what................................ its a f**k**g hawk

I did meet a chippie about six months ago and he was still working at 67, when I asked him why he hasn’t retired he replied “I think I’ll die if I retire “ he had bad diabetes and think getting up each day and working was good for him. 82 and 84?! That’s insane.

I know a few people who have succumbed to retirement. Bought the comfy chair, box of chocs on the table and then had a heart attack...wanking off to Rachel Riley!

My tradesman when I was an apprentice was 68 and lasted until my final year. Ex desert rat smoked a pipe wore a tweed suit and shirt and tie and tweed cap and changed into his white bib and brace with his white jacket.
Guess what................................ its a f**k**g hawk
Don’t see enough old boys smoking a pipe these days.

Can’t beat the old sage. Met a few, and generally still got good health, and patience. Would kick the ass of a lot of younger guys.

Can’t beat the old sage. Met a few, and generally still got good health, and patience. Would kick the ass of a lot of younger guys.
It’s the way they effortlessly go about the work and have a system that has been tried and tested for time. There’s a phrase on the forum I’ve heard : work smart and not hard. I’d say that’s the key to longevity in this game.

It’s the way they effortlessly go about the work and have a system that has been tried and tested for time. There’s a phrase on the forum I’ve heard : work smart and not hard. I’d say that’s the key to longevity in this game.
Absolutely I learned that a long time if you're towing your b*ll***s off to earn a living your doing it wrong.

EAFC8509-B4B5-47D3-B4B8-67384A4259A1.gif

Fair play to them, but if I get into my 60s or 70s and haven't thought of something better to do with my time I'll want shooting.

Don’t see enough old boys smoking a pipe these days.
Cos there all dead from smoking a pipe!! When I was in hospital years back had a abscess that went into my throat long story but had op n sorted i was on the ward with all the smokers mouth and throat cancer could hear um all breathing like it was there last breath holes in there throat's and all sorts still go out for a fag though all wired up to breathing apparatus! Must think f**k it were as good as dead... Very disturbing to see.

I knew two joiners in lancs that worked well into their 80s in workshop one even made his own coffin and had it on the shelving under blankets maybe cast 1 in plaster someday ha ha

Cos there all dead from smoking a pipe!! When I was in hospital years back had a abscess that went into my throat long story but had op n sorted i was on the ward with all the smokers mouth and throat cancer could hear um all breathing like it was there last breath holes in there throat's and all sorts still go out for a fag though all wired up to breathing apparatus! Must think f**k it were as good as dead... Very disturbing to see.
it killed most off them days pipes and fags

never did fags but was on cigars for about 20 years but stopped for at least 30 year now trying to kill myself with drink but seems to take a while
I used to like a cafe creme now and again! I couldn't care less if I dropped dead tomorrow best part of my life has gone sad but true lol.