Old dusty brown base

Kike

Hello. New with plastering in Scotland, in spain the materials and ways to do are different. I went to remove wall paper yesterday, in a 60s house, the paper took away the skim coat, kind of with plaster, no lime for sure, now I have a brown base coat, very dusty , with horse hair, not sure of the name of this plaster. Now the base plaster is not that bad, a bit uneven. How should I carry on with it in order to finish with multi? Stabilise it with pls, sbr ? Maybe a coat of bonding or similar before to make it even ? Thanks in advance !

Depends how sympathetic you want to be to the original background. PVA and multi is the quickest approach but if, as you say, not lime based finish, you should be ok. I wouldn't use bonding on sand/lime/horsehair work though, especially if its an outside wall.

Depends how sympathetic you want to be to the original background. PVA and multi is the quickest approach but if, as you say, not lime based finish, you should be ok. I wouldn't use bonding on sand/lime/horsehair work though, especially if its an outside wall.
Thanks for replay! Is an inside room. The plan was to skim it after remove wall paper, this .morning I put some sbr 1/3 water, I will give another one. Then some bonding to patch some uneven bits on the chimney and windows. Then before plaster, or sbr if I have left, Then multi when still sticky, if not the same with pva. Sounds right ? I use to plaster in Spain, but I fill like an apprentice again, so different materials ! Thanks !