Old damp proof membrane perished.

Members online

RLPD

Hello all,

I've recently started re-modernising a bathroom and noticed that the wall behind the tiles had some play to it. I originally thought it was plasterboard but after a closer inspection, it was a damp proof membrane with what looked like sand/cement topped with a skim.

The membrane had perished in places which caused the wall the lose its key to the brickwork behind. Besides this the membrane was doing its job, there were no signs of damp in the bathroom, but saying that the tiling did stop at a meter for floor level.

Question 1) Can I just...

Option 1) Tank the brickwork followed by a dabbed board or sand cement with a skim finish.

Option 2) Use the Permaguard kit followed with a dabbed board and skim finish.

Question 2)

Is there anything I'm missing from the pictures provided.

Thank you!

Looks like Newton lath circa 1970s / 1980 ?

You could use permaguard membrane which would guarantee no further problems ...
Use the one with in bedded mesh
Dabb it ....skim it...

Inject a chemical dpc, float it with a waterproof sand and cement render.... I dont trust the brick plugs you use on the membrane.......

make sure you kill that damp weed thing in your pic.....premagard will have something to treat that

Hello all,

I've recently started re-modernising a bathroom and noticed that the wall behind the tiles had some play to it. I originally thought it was plasterboard but after a closer inspection, it was a damp proof membrane with what looked like sand/cement topped with a skim.

The membrane had perished in places which caused the wall the lose its key to the brickwork behind. Besides this the membrane was doing its job, there were no signs of damp in the bathroom, but saying that the tiling did stop at a meter for floor level.

Question 1) Can I just...

Option 1) Tank the brickwork followed by a dabbed board or sand cement with a skim finish.

Option 2) Use the Permaguard kit followed with a dabbed board and skim finish.

Question 2)

Is there anything I'm missing from the pictures provided.

Thank you!

View attachment 35190

View attachment 35191
make sure you kill that damp weed thing in your pic.....premagard will have something to treat that
that weedthing as u call it looks like dry rot spores to me

Hello again

Permagard Installed, Dabbed and limes but this damp patch In the corner of the room is a bit worrying.

Before the original wall came down there was a small are already like this but presumed it was the perished Newton lath.

Any suggestions?

Does this mean I have to dig up slab and relay membrane?

Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 361
When you dabbed board don't let it(board or dab) touch the floor ...use a batten to keep a gap ...
A for air flow
B to stop any damp in floor connecting with wall

Does seem slow drying out though

Ok, Thanks, I will go around the bottom and clean it up.

I've put a heater in that corner and it has seemed to of dissipated. I'm back there Monday so will see if it has returned.

If it has returned, and let's say the waste to the toilet has been properly sealed. is this fillet seal in conjunction with their tanking potentially solve the problem.

So we have cut away the plasterboard 400mm from the floor all the way around the external walls. The plaster hasn’t properly dried out and it had been a week since plastering. There is moisture in the internal side of the permagard membrane. Would the plaster and dabs create moisture on the side and run down the wall.