Oh sh*t, I ran out of bonding mid-task :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben1976

Just finished a 5 day plastering course and am practicing by gutting and rebuilding my room from scratch.

Started to level the old brickwork yesterday --using bonding plaster over blue grit, and dots as a guide; but ended up 1/2 a bag shy before I could finish all the leveling. So that killed my skimming that day! :(

To 'try' and rectify this, I've added 3:1 Unibond Super PVA (18h later, when I got more bonding) which I'm leaving to cure till tomorrow.. then I'll add a second coat of 3:1 to go tacky before continuing bonding/skimming.

Any issues with this approach?
Will the PVA in-between bonding/skimming prevent the first bonding coats from drying properly (or other problems)?

Any feedback would be most useful :)
Thx

wall.jpg

No problem with it drying out.
The finish u achieved is dreadful. I hope that is your house. Am just been honest.

Why you bonding out a boarded studwall? Surely makes better job if you move the wall if it's out, then reboard it. As for the rest bonding out a whole brickwall, that's just proper builders /plumbers way of dealing with things. Should've used s&c if you had blown bits already and just taken the lot down. Would've been a proper way I'd say

Just finished a 5 day plastering course and am practicing by gutting and rebuilding my room from scratch.

Started to level the old brickwork yesterday --using bonding plaster over blue grit, and dots as a guide; but ended up 1/2 a bag shy before I could finish all the leveling. So that killed my skimming that day! :(

To 'try' and rectify this, I've added 3:1 Unibond Super PVA (18h later, when I got more bonding) which I'm leaving to cure till tomorrow.. then I'll add a second coat of 3:1 to go tacky before continuing bonding/skimming.

Any issues with this approach?
Will the PVA in-between bonding/skimming prevent the first bonding coats from drying properly (or other problems)?

Any feedback would be most useful :)
Thx

View attachment 8426

Wtf

Why did you use blue grit on brickwork?
Regarding PVA, all this first coat & de one coat stuff is nonsense, mix it weaker and blather it on, many times at 10 minute intervals., when it's not soaking in skim it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx BigK: The brickwork originally had layers of old paint on and the British Gypsum tech support said I should use a mechanical grip product and bonding first.

theclemo: the finish is pretty poor as its my first attempt and I ran out of bonding when layering up to my dots to level it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not really concerned as yes, it's my own wall; gotta start somewhere!

zolco: it's not a boarded out stud wall, it's over painted brickwork to level it, as the wall is both uneven and sloping. It'll be skimmed afterwards. I did replace the original plasterboard with DuraLine boards with Activair and I'll just skim them the regular way.
There weren't any blown bits, yet. Lol

Thx BigK: The brickwork originally had layers of old paint on and the British Gypsum tech support said I should use a mechanical grip product and bonding first.

theclemo: the finish is pretty poor as its my first attempt and I ran out of bonding when layering up to my dots to level it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'm not really concerned as yes, it's my own wall; gotta start somewhere!

zolco: it's not a boarded out stud wall, it's over painted brickwork to level it, as the wall is both uneven and sloping. It'll be skimmed afterwards. I did replace the original plasterboard with DuraLine boards with Activair and I'll just skim them the regular way.
There weren't any blown bits, yet. Lol
Sure it looks like a timber studwall on the picture.

Sure it looks like a timber studwall on the picture.
I've attached a wooden upright to the end of the brickwork with resin bolts to box out above the adjacent window. It's only 44mm deep with plasterboard in front to blend it with the brickwork. It's just a structural joint :)

I've attached a wooden upright to the end of the brickwork with resin bolts to box out above the adjacent window. It's only 44mm deep with plasterboard in front to blend it with the brickwork. It's just a structural joint :)
That what was misled me

Status
Not open for further replies.