NVQ2 thingymaboab

Status
Not open for further replies.
whats the deal with this?

A couple of places read like assesments are binned and others read like it's all go.

I'm wanting to get it underway sharpish and the net just throws up shite. Anyone done this recently? Or can anyone point me in the right direction. Based in Edinburgh, most of the sites I've came across are south England based.

Like I mentioned in a previous post I've been at this for 10 years but I wants a shiney CSCS card for my wallet ;D

i was messed about for 12 months by a certain company based in newcastle, everytime i rung up they didn't know who i was and it was like i was ringin for the first time. Eventually they told me they had run out of funding just before xmas (nov i think) and my cscs card expires at end of jan.

i rang another place in sheffield (where i live) and they explained that funds would be in place in april i got it through they website above, told them what had happened with the previous company and they booked me in for an induction on 10/04, the women i spoke to was spot on she has even sent me a letter which i need to forward on to cscs along with £25 robbing bastards so i can have my card extended for 6 months.

If you want the number just say and i pm it to you, this is all for free mind. Sheff may be a bit far but if you check out the website you might find somethin a bit closer to home. it get on your nerves mate because know one seems to help i am a school drop out and cant even spell colledge, but if you ask on here the lads will point you in right direction.

good luck, Mac

hey all im doing my level 2 city and guilds diploma as its called now it takes 1 yr for your level 1 and then the level 2 is actually 2 yrs. If u are on the social and you get to a collage around sept time to enrol then they will wave the fees because you are on the social if your not the first yr will cost around £700 and the 2nd yr will cost you around £900 and it is like being back at school but with out all the s**t rules ive been working as a plasterer since i was around 17 now 25 and thought i new everything till i got into collage then everyday i learned something new it is a good idea to get your certs while the ressesion is still goin on and there isnt much work on hope this helps

Search for SNVQ if in Scotland, bet ya cant guess what the S stands for ;D

If you have any problems in Sheffield phone Dearne Valley College.

The contractor I was working for used smarterbuilder - not sure what they charged. They had a no-nonsense approach - made sure that all the right boxes where ticked etc. The assessor visited me a couple of times, asked me to do a few basics, took some photos, sent it all off. They arranged the health and safety test that you had to do. Got NVQ 2 and a CSCS card. Not sure if smarterbuider operate in Scotland but I would guess they do. Don't think its cheap! My better half works for a college and she was horrified how quickly I got NVQ 2 - they seem to take a more academic approach rather than "you can do the job here's the card!"

Hope this is helpful.

Jon.

I know what you mean patcher. i did it couple of years ago when they were doing it for free, i got mine that quick. To be honest if i'd been Stevie Wonder he would have still passed me, its a joke, money spinner for the government.

Try your local business link, or contact construction skills (formerly CITB look on the web) construction skills will normally put you in touch with a company that has bursaries available , i am putting 2 lad's through their nvq2 and one though nvq3 and i am actually doing the assessors ticket , all fully funded, another route you may want to consider is the heritage skills route who i know do have funding available at this moment, good luck !!

cheers guys,

Will look into the info. Sideways, I'd have loved to go to college but I can't afford to do it. I was at college a while ago doing an HNC (which I bailed on to go to a taping job) and can't get funding for another course. My little brother is at college just now doing tiling and keeps asking about plastering. I tod him to do whatever the hell he wants but to stay and get his quals in whatever he does. I wish I done it.

RainbowThistlePlastering said:
cheers guys,

Will look into the info. Sideways, I'd have loved to go to college but I can't afford to do it. I was at college a while ago doing an HNC (which I bailed on to go to a taping job) and can't get funding for another course. My little brother is at college just now doing tiling and keeps asking about plastering. I tod him to do whatever the hell he wants but to stay and get his quals in whatever he does. I wish I done it.

I f*ckin hated college, there was FAR too much theory and bullshlt. I'm talking 25 years ago now, and maybe they have updated it, and streamlined the theory and maximised the practical, but back then you could just tell the course had been devised by academics rather then it being a vocational course.

patcher said:
The contractor I was working for used smarterbuilder - not sure what they charged. They had a no-nonsense approach - made sure that all the right boxes where ticked etc. The assessor visited me a couple of times, asked me to do a few basics, took some photos, sent it all off. They arranged the health and safety test that you had to do. Got NVQ 2 and a CSCS card. Not sure if smarterbuider operate in Scotland but I would guess they do. Don't think its cheap! My better half works for a college and she was horrified how quickly I got NVQ 2 - they seem to take a more academic approach rather than "you can do the job here's the card!"

Hope this is helpful.

Jon.
Snap at how quick and sh*te the cscs system is. I did my level 3 and it was a joke mate. Didnt even send of for the card. Personally I'd rather get by on my own merit than a glorified windscreen scraper!

In my opinion - the cscs card means nothing in the domestic market but they are asking for it more and more on the big boy sites and its getting to the point of no card - no work! That's why I had to do mine.

ps. more than anything I think that the cscs card is more about personal liability than anything else. the big boy construction companies have to show their insurers that they are using competent workers - which means - you are competent - you should have know not to put that render on at -1 deg c - you sort it out - or more importantly - your competent - you should have known not to go up that scaffold in that condition and we ain't paying out for you falling off! that's why I think they brought in the cscs card - after all it was supported by the CITB and who is the CITB - the big boy construction firm club!

patcher said:
ps. more than anything I think that the cscs card is more about personal liability than anything else. the big boy construction companies have to show their insurers that they are using competent workers - which means - you are competent - you should have know not to put that render on at -1 deg c - you sort it out - or more importantly - your competent - you should have known not to go up that scaffold in that condition and we ain't paying out for you falling off! that's why I think they brought in the cscs card - after all it was supported by the CITB and who is the CITB - the big boy construction firm club!
you've hit the nail on the head there mate ;)

patcher said:

Very true thats why you need to take a H&S test so when you do have an accident you cant say you never knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.