Nvq level 3

Staff online

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't be nosey!

But no I'm just not qualified atall and I know the process through college is tedious and drawn out with course work and on site evaluations etc. Was wondering if it can be fast tracked If you can do what is required
Me nosey? I feel insulted ;) if it's to price a job, coz I've had drawings through that say to price the job I must have minimum of a gold card the supervisors gold card I would say was enough. If it's to use to emigrate your gonna struggle if you don't get the right quals and may even cause you a problem how ever you obtain them ie if you get them in a week with a few pics they won't be taken serious. If it's just to hang on your wall and impress your friends just get them off the internet, that's all I done and it worked :)

Does anyone have any info or knowledge on how easy/possible it is to get a quick nvq level 3 assessment?

Thanks
Goldtrowel do a 1 day nvq fast track assessment route £650 you phone them and they accommodate you on your availability so technically you can ring them up and have the test the next day, this is how i did mine, it was the cheapest fast route i found

scrub that miss read the OP thought it said level 2 not 3 ... but Goldtrowel do do level 3 nvq assessments

You can apply for a temporary cscs card lasts 12 months I think (after passing the touch screen health and saftety test first).
Then in that time youll need to obtain a nvq level 2 to get a blue skilled worker cscs card
to get the 1 year red experienced workers card you have to be enrolled in an NVQ course before they issue the card

You can be fairly certain that they won't do a skill level 3 cause its not funded and would require an assessor who knew a bit about plastering.

that would be me scottie 5 ------ I know a bit about plastering :RpS_thumbsup::RpS_lol:

It's coming to fruit, I was told by my lecturer 25 years ago it was going this way a European thing he said. I know lads in my year and years above and below who never took the advanced coz they thought they didn't need it coz they could plaster and knew all they needed to know and some did and done very well. We have argued in the past about this and I've always harped on about it but it was just a warning not a boasting thing which most people took it but I think that might of been the way I come across ;) the level three is going to be the bench mark and hopefully apprentices go on to achieve it but unfortunately the well is drying up with qualified plasterers never mind teachers to teach it. No dig at the lecturers coz this all we have but a teaching qualification should not take precedent over quals and experience in the subject being taught. I know when these jobs are posted and applied for it is down to ticking boxes in the interview and in some cases the job has gone to one of the lecturers pals who is a spread and they worked together. We are hearing of the standard of lads coming out of college clueless and this could be blamed on the lecturers but I don't think it's just their fault. They have to stick to the rules of the qualifications body which they are teaching and kids who dont want to be there or are forced is a bad recipe. My lecturers taught it so why can't they? Something needs to change so to the lecturers on here what would you change?

that would be me scottie 5 ------ I know a bit about plastering :RpS_thumbsup::RpS_lol:

Fair play phil your absolutely right having spoke to you a bit you definitely know your carrots, but I fear you maybe in the minority.
An example would be the last on site nvq assessor who I spoke to who fell in to the job after retraining upon leaving the army, which seems standard either that or ibosh/nebosh then building site police h&s officers.
So I asked matey how much plastering he did he said none as he was a brickie in the sas bricklaying squadron or whatever, but it didn't really matter as a trowels a trowel isn't it?.
Er no mate it bloody well isn't.

It's coming to fruit, I was told by my lecturer 25 years ago it was going this way a European thing he said. I know lads in my year and years above and below who never took the advanced coz they thought they didn't need it coz they could plaster and knew all they needed to know and some did and done very well. We have argued in the past about this and I've always harped on about it but it was just a warning not a boasting thing which most people took it but I think that might of been the way I come across ;) the level three is going to be the bench mark and hopefully apprentices go on to achieve it but unfortunately the well is drying up with qualified plasterers never mind teachers to teach it. No dig at the lecturers coz this all we have but a teaching qualification should not take precedent over quals and experience in the subject being taught. I know when these jobs are posted and applied for it is down to ticking boxes in the interview and in some cases the job has gone to one of the lecturers pals who is a spread and they worked together. We are hearing of the standard of lads coming out of college clueless and this could be blamed on the lecturers but I don't think it's just their fault. They have to stick to the rules of the qualifications body which they are teaching and kids who dont want to be there or are forced is a bad recipe. My lecturers taught it so why can't they? Something needs to change so to the lecturers on here what would you change?

Hi flynnyman

some of us teachers - still have high standards, but I'm glad you included about the governing body, restricting the criteria, (watering down the standards) this is to meet with the government targets, on lower budgets --- colleges put teachers /tutors and lectures under enormous pressure to meet targets that are set per academic year with veiled threats of workshop closure if targets are not met, each learner passed = £££s

the budgets should increase and tighter controls on standards /quality, and not quantity of students passing - but unless there's a change back to the old type apprenticeships - the standards will keep on sliding -- as I've said before, some of us still take pride in teaching the next generation of plasterers - to a high standards :RpS_thumbsup: but the system is against us. that care about our profession, resulting in tutors and lecturers leaving the teaching profession

@Danny this is the problem, maybe something for the plasterers news if things are gonna change it needs to start here :) the trade is ****** up coz of what pudove describes, it needs looking at and a few of the main bodies need to come together for the sake of the trade, it's being watered down so much even as far as the trade breaking up into categories. It's at the point now where we need to go back to journeymen, these kids need paying for, coz I'm not training anyone soon because it's not worth it, it's no benefit in money and I have to pay to train them. I'm not prepared to pay a lad in college learning nothing beneficial to me, if they were free for four years I would have one. when I trained with the council in the eighties they got us for nothing, so that's what needs to happen. Build more council houses by apprentices is kills two birds with one stone.

Last edited:
the biggest problem with theses courses are, the students coming out of them are told that they are qualified and the poor fucks believe it, it's not the lecturers/teachers fault or the students, it's the fault of the pricks at the CITB lowering the standards so much that a 5 year apprenticeship has been cut down to a 6 week course, and these prick have probably never even seem a trowel let alone used one

Colleges is down into the drains and no where match old school up to '90's.

What is this I don't even?

Not sure what you mean.

the biggest problem with theses courses are, the students coming out of them are told that they are qualified and the poor fucks believe it, it's not the lecturers/teachers fault or the students, it's the fault of the pricks at the CITB lowering the standards so much that a 5 year apprenticeship has been cut down to a 6 week course, and these prick have probably never even seem a trowel let alone used one

Well the normal colleges are 2 years on the City and Guilds (at least mine is) up to CandG dip level 2. Is Citb different, I was worse than useless after 6 weeks.

Happy to say I am now just useless.

@Danny this is the problem, maybe something for the plasterers news if things are gonna change it needs to start here :) the trade is ****** up coz of what pudove describes, it needs looking at and a few of the main bodies need to come together for the sake of the trade, it's being watered down so much even as far as the trade breaking up into categories. It's at the point now where we need to go back to journeymen, these kids need paying for, coz I'm not training anyone soon because it's not worth it, it's no benefit in money and I have to pay to train them. I'm not prepared to pay a lad in college learning nothing beneficial to me, if they were free for four years I would have one. when I trained with the council in the eighties they got us for nothing, so that's what needs to happen. Build more council houses by apprentices is kills two birds with one stone.

Trust me flynny I am working on it,... I have seen the standards and some hortifying stories if students beingvthe teacher a year later....

I am in a meeting with some people around the 2nd week of december

hi bobby

which college is your apprentice at --- and not all standards of teaching is ****

Petroc Barnstaple,Devon puddove.
I don't doubt there are plenty of decent teachers around.
There were a few good ones up there a few years back but they left leaving just one guy who has all good intentions but isn't up to the job.he himself only got his nvq level 2 a few years back and not really having much of a track record on the tools.
I've had 3 apprentice's now and you can see the standard slipping

Trust me flynny I am working on it,... I have seen the standards and some hortifying stories if students beingvthe teacher a year later....

I am in a meeting with some people around the 2nd week of december

hi Danny can you report your findings on the forum - I would be interested it what these people have to say:RpS_thumbsup:

Fair play phil your absolutely right having spoke to you a bit you definitely know your carrots, but I fear you maybe in the minority.
An example would be the last on site nvq assessor who I spoke to who fell in to the job after retraining upon leaving the army, which seems standard either that or ibosh/nebosh then building site police h&s officers.
So I asked matey how much plastering he did he said none as he was a brickie in the sas bricklaying squadron or whatever, but it didn't really matter as a trowels a trowel isn't it?.
Er no mate it bloody well isn't.

Sas bricklaying squadron...... Pmsl

My lectureres in donny are contemplating to quit because of what you said , Phil. Life with teaching is very tough with target plus budget cuts (less materials to use...)

hi Ryan are you completing your level 3 at Doncaster college, an old colleague of mine has just finished there (teaching ) to go back on the tools with the council -

are these assesors coming on site and just handing out cards to everyone ? I dont think on site assesments are good, theres way more to the trade than just skimmimg boards, I do agree that the training has gone too far downhill nowadays ( in most cases ) my apprentice learnt very little at college.. the old time college was very good, nowadays they just seem to hand NVQ,s out to anybody... the more they sign off and hand out, the more they get paid, not worth a wank, but people need them, so it will continue.. you only have to read some of the shite on that plasterers page on fb, to see these people have no clue... there dabbing and skimming boards all day.... thats a small part of our trade, but for some thats their limit....

Students mucking around is probably down to there age and having to be there rather than wanting to. I see it all the time the apprentices we've had. Kids who want there £90 a week but are not interested in any trade never mind plastering

Being an ex lecturer and now doing some assessing at level 3, I have a bit of insight in this massive problem, and for what it's worth this is my opinion on what the problem is.
FE is target driven, you either hit the national bench mark (national average of achievements from every provider) or you risk having ofsted come in to do an inspection because you are a failing college. The college also loses 20% of the funding which in turn means that managers tell you that your department will shut down because it's not viable.
Yes I've seen very inexperienced tradesmen become lecturers in many different areas as well as ours because at the end of the day not many people will give them work in the first place. What I will say is that the vast majority of lecturers and assessors want good standards but they are being pushed by targets, funding and bullying to pass learners who quite frankly are not up to the standard. Many are leaving the education system like me, and they are glad to be out of it. Good luck pudlove because the system stinks and it just keeps getting worse because the government will not accept that everybody is not up to a level 2 standard. 1 quote that should ring in everybody's ears is "there are no bad students, just bad teachers".
Here end'eth the rant of somebody who's been there and is glad to be out of it, and more importantly able to speak freely.

hey mate i stayed on at at college and done my level three nvq, this was back in the nineties though, i done mine at highbury college in pompey. it was two years towards nvq level 2 on which there was about twenty of us on the course, then only three of us stayed for the third year, it was very paperwork orientated all stuff for management and running contracts, i am glad i done it while i was younger, seems mad how i had to do college for three years on day release and now they just asses you on site??? i was lucky enough to be in the oldskool fraternity! there was a lot of fibrous stuff as well, very interesting, and the solid side was challenging- coved floors, grano, barrel ceilings. tricky stuff, give it a bash mate x

I totally agree I've just finished my level 2, and we never learnt drylining or any render finishes apart from rubbing up plain face, never did any fibrous work i.e making reverse running mould, and the tutor told most of the students the answers during the exam so that they'd pass!!

I totally agree I've just finished my level 2, and we never learnt drylining or any render finishes apart from rubbing up plain face, never did any fibrous work i.e making reverse running mould, and the tutor told most of the students the answers during the exam so that they'd pass!!

Should throw away your certificate then. If you go for a job I bet you would still pull out your L3 certificate

Thats targets for you, when I did my C and G.. if you failed the final exam ( in proper exam enviroment ) you had to redo all the final year... nowadays, its everyone passes, in fact I think its impossible to fail an NVQ isn,t it ?

Believe me mate I've thought about it, haven't carried on with level 3 for obvious reasons, wanna get on with somebody and learn properly.

Thats targets for you, when I did my C and G.. if you failed the final exam ( in proper exam enviroment ) you had to redo all the final year... nowadays, its everyone passes, in fact I think its impossible to fail an NVQ isn,t it ?

Nobody fails, they are deemed not competent and then they can be assessed again

Best thing is the college I went to has been to the world skills show at the NEC this year and last showcasing fuking fibrous and they didn't teach us anything lol :RpS_lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.