Nvq level 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
are these assesors coming on site and just handing out cards to everyone ? I dont think on site assesments are good, theres way more to the trade than just skimmimg boards, I do agree that the training has gone too far downhill nowadays ( in most cases ) my apprentice learnt very little at college.. the old time college was very good, nowadays they just seem to hand NVQ,s out to anybody... the more they sign off and hand out, the more they get paid, not worth a wank, but people need them, so it will continue.. you only have to read some of the shite on that plasterers page on fb, to see these people have no clue... there dabbing and skimming boards all day.... thats a small part of our trade, but for some thats their limit....

To true

hi cassie

served my apprenticeship 1981-1985 I remember anyone failing their city & guilds exams in the June/July had the chance to resit the exam in December/ January -------

this is when training was the tops - combined with the skills we learnt on site and the technical stuff from college ( oh happy days ), this would stop the slide of quality - but would take a complete u- turn in government thinking and years to undo all the damaged caused by the current training methods:RpS_thumbsup:

was the best way though mate... at least we had a good idea about all aspects of the trade...

yeah - I'm still learning, especially about new materials, tools and techniques from you guys on the forum, from the guys on site to the guys working on domestics ------ we never stop learning, even after 34 years :RpS_thumbsup: fookin hell sound like an right old dinosaur:RpS_scared::RpS_lol:

hi cassie

served my apprenticeship 1981-1985 I remember anyone failing their city & guilds exams in the June/July had the chance to resit the exam in December/ January -------

this is when training was the tops - combined with the skills we learnt on site and the technical stuff from college ( oh happy days ), this would stop the slide of quality - but would take a complete u- turn in government thinking and years to undo all the damaged caused by the current training methods:RpS_thumbsup:

The problem is though. Why would the government care or have any reason to change it?

I had to travel 60 miles to Plymouth collage to do my level 2 and 3 was lucky though my tutor was spot on and taught us so much, he just had a passion for teaching and plastering. Its a shame things aren't like that now

Think the futures here mate I've can't find a spread who can float & set, they seem to think they've made it when they can skim board, not to mention they want more a day than I charge!

true, but in the future when all of us on here are retired they will be no proper plasterers - just glorified DIYers
@Danny ............you best get started on a Retired Section....................:RpS_thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
the biggest problem with theses courses are, the students coming out of them are told that they are qualified and the poor fucks believe it, it's not the lecturers/teachers fault or the students, it's the fault of the pricks at the CITB lowering the standards so much that a 5 year apprenticeship has been cut down to a 6 week course, and these prick have probably never even seem a trowel let alone used one

Think we are jumping the gun a bit here. From what I can remember when you leave school it took me 2 years to get a L2 & L3 NVQ. Its still the same today. Although if you are an experienced worker they can assess your competence very quickly.

A 40yr old plasterer shouldn't have to sit in with 16yr old trainees for 1 year to get his L2 NVQ, he already has all the skills and knowledge. The short courses only recognize your competence. Just because you are not putting in all that college time doesn't mean you don't deserve one.

Any good plasterer could tell if someone is competent very quickly.

Really its up to the assessor to do his job, he is the one who hands out the NVQ, CITB can only do so much to make sure its done right. ie, Inspections, qualified verifiers, updating criteria and standards.

Think we are jumping the gun a bit here. From what I can remember when you leave school it took me 2 years to get a L2 & L3 NVQ. Its still the same today. Although if you are an experienced worker they can assess your competence very quickly.

A 40yr old plasterer shouldn't have to sit in with 16yr old trainees for 1 year to get his L2 NVQ, he already has all the skills and knowledge. The short courses only recognize your competence. Just because you are not putting in all that college time doesn't mean you don't deserve one.

Any good plasterer could tell if someone is competent very quickly.

Really its up to the assessor to do his job, he is the one who hands out the NVQ, CITB can only do so much to make sure its done right. ie, Inspections, qualified verifiers, updating criteria and standards.
see now this in my opinion is why things are so ****** up with the trade, you seem to me to not know a lot of what i meant, there are courses out there that last 6 weeks anyone can attend people who have never seen a trowel let alone pick one up are told after this short period of time they are qualified to do a job that takes far more time to learn that 6 ******* weeks, that is 30 days spread over 6 weeks, so a month to be told that they are as qualified as someone that has been doing the job for 15/20/30 years, and as the CITB are the governing body for the qualification yes they are to blame, the assessors can only assess what is laid out in the course so you can't really say that it's up to them to do their job, if they were no one would gain qualifications in that short a time period

see now this in my opinion is why things are so ****** up with the trade, you seem to me to not know a lot of what i meant, there are courses out there that last 6 weeks anyone can attend people who have never seen a trowel let alone pick one up are told after this short period of time they are qualified to do a job that takes far more time to learn that 6 ******* weeks, that is 30 days spread over 6 weeks, so a month to be told that they are as qualified as someone that has been doing the job for 15/20/30 years, and as the CITB are the governing body for the qualification yes they are to blame, the assessors can only assess what is laid out in the course so you can't really say that it's up to them to do their job, if they were no one would gain qualifications in that short a time period

yes they are told that by the assessor. CITB set the short courses for experienced workers. The assessors take anyone in to get the funding. I know what is laid out in the course. Its up to the assessor to make sure the trainee is able to cover all the standards

yes they are told that by the assessor. CITB set the short courses for experienced workers. The assessors take anyone in to get the funding. I know what is laid out in the course. Its up to the assessor to make sure the trainee is able to cover all the standards

"the assessors dont take anyone in to get the funding" its the company that recruit the learners, the CITB/ CAA set all the criteria,and the assessors / tutors teach, support and assess the learners to the criteria/ marking schemes laid down by the governing bodies - within the budget of their employers which is usually reduced from the previous years

You are missinformed on this bit the 6 week short courses are for anyone, you are thinking of the fast track nvq assessment for experienced workers not a course only an assesment

So what was the conclusion to all of this lol?

Can u do a quick nvq3 assessment or do you have to do a year ?

When did I say I wouldn't pay lol

Where did u do it and how much how long etc?

I did it with an osat called gtg services through Eastleigh college in sheffield took about 8 months if I remember rightly.

He came to me every time on site and to the office.

Ditto, did my level three through geasons osa , and it have had about 30 of our guys do various nvq2 in both plastering and ewi all osa

Status
Not open for further replies.