Not happy can u help

Status
Not open for further replies.

windy

Private Member
Hi lads.

Just finished reskim in the ma in laws front bedroom. Simple 2 coat overskim using board finish. Still a novice as i only plaster every 3 months or so for friends and family. I have always suffered from misses on the wall. THose tiny little blemishes that feel a bit rough when the wall is dried. :'(

Now i came on here sometime ago and was told that i was prob using the fat on the trwel to trowel up and fill the hollws which i stopped. Now when i trowel up i use clean trowel and if i see a hollow i fill it with gear from the bucket not fat.

But im still getting misses in the wall. If it was just the odd one i wouldnt mind but their is too many on the wall when i inspect it.

Can anyone help as im getting close to jackin plastering in as i cannot get that pro finish :mad:

When the ma in law got her extension done the spread did the whole room and i could not see one big hollow on the walls. How do you do it???????????

Should have gone to specksavers mate.Only having the craic,try using a sponge float ,when your skimming pulls in a bit,splash the wall down with water and sponge your wall in a circular motion,leave for a few minutes and start trowelling, the wall will have a textured apperance, and when you trowel you will remove this and most of the fat ,it might be easier for you to see what you are leaving behind the trowel ,give it a go,trust me

windy said:
would u do this on 1st or 2nd coat
no dont use a spoung float m8 ,look if u want to be a good plasterer u will need to go work with one first and lern,but spounge floats are a no no m8 trust me.just lern to do it right ;)

I have tried puttin ads on ebay and gumtree offering to work for a few days here and there for free in return for a bit of input on my techniques and go no calls!

No one seems to know.

Surely there must be a few pointers you can offer me over the internet?? Whilst i carry on trying to get someone to watch over me

Its all down to experience mate.

Skimming is 80% about timing, if you are going over the wall to early it can cause this, equally if to late.

We all do it occasionally but experience is to know when to leave it, and what to do when its gone that bit to far, your know what to look for whilst its going off etc/ etc/

No one can get a perfect finish, the odd blemish will occur, but s**t loads shouldnt, but I can honestly say its not something you can be taught, everyone does things differently, its more of a case of one day your go to work, come home and think "Ive f**k**g cracked it" and all of a sudden its come together! Just stick at it mate :)

Freerider_2009 said:
Its all down to experience mate.

Skimming is 80% about timing, if you are going over the wall to early it can cause this, equally if to late.

We all do it occasionally but experience is to know when to leave it, and what to do when its gone that bit to far, your know what to look for whilst its going off etc/ etc/

No one can get a perfect finish, the odd blemish will occur, but (german word) loads shouldnt, but I can honestly say its not something you can be taught, everyone does things differently, its more of a case of one day your go to work, come home and think "Ive (french word)ing cracked it" and all of a sudden its come together! Just stick at it mate :)
thats so true

try a bit more pressure on trowel when giving it a wet rub
windy said:
Hi lads.

Just finished reskim in the ma in laws front bedroom. Simple 2 coat overskim using board finish. Still a novice as i only plaster every 3 months or so for friends and family. I have always suffered from misses on the wall. THose tiny little blemishes that feel a bit rough when the wall is dried. :'(

Now i came on here sometime ago and was told that i was prob using the fat on the trwel to trowel up and fill the hollws which i stopped. Now when i trowel up i use clean trowel and if i see a hollow i fill it with gear from the bucket not fat.

But im still getting misses in the wall. If it was just the odd one i wouldnt mind but their is too many on the wall when i inspect it.

Can anyone help as im getting close to jackin plastering in as i cannot get that pro finish :mad:

When the ma in law got her extension done the spread did the whole room and i could not see one big hollow on the walls. How do you do it???????????

for me the key is in the spreading the flatter the better and pressure is a must obviously not when its wet. how many times do you trowel your gauging???

If it's little blisters then it's too much preasure on second coat.

If it's little holes then what I've been taught to do and will always do is spray or brush surface with a small amount of water(stops next coat sticking to it) and using a small amount of gear(entire length of trawl, 10mm thick) trail entire wall, again not to much preasure. Wet trail after, then a couple of dry one

I suspect you're using multi? Not a great idea for a novice. Try using board finish, it flattens in better. I also suspect that you're laying on too much? thus making it harder for you to catch it before it starts to set. A good way, when you're learning is to get a halogen lamp and sit it at an angle, shining on the wall. that way you'll see any hollows or misses before it's too late to fix them. ;)

first time anyones mentioned light! prolly the cause of the entire problem... he cant see em when he's trowelling it..
we get used to plastering in bad light and can spot em eaier but then we learn to recognise them easier

Status
Not open for further replies.