not another damp question??????

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

big ali

i repaired a blokes roof 2 yrs ago, broken tiles pointing to chimney and damaged flashing, then 6 months later when loft has had time to dry out a bit he has me skim the room out, i removed the perished plaster on the chimney breast, wall behind seemed ok, bonded and skimmed it, once the room was dry the customer painted it (the part that was originally perished was still a bit damp), 2 months later the damp has shown thru and has now spread to wall at side of chimney breast, its not bad but its staining thru, the chimney has had one of them nasty galvanised piss pots shoved on top so there is air flow, surely it should have dried out by now, 18 months since i plastered, the guy is ok about it but i am beginning to feel like i've robbed him, i cant come up with a reason, it doesnt look like rain getting in, codensation from inside the chimney maybe. should i have not used bonding in that situation.

wasnt the best thing to use...
think about it like this...
if you plaster the brick wall of a conservatory, that was once the external wall of the house, even though the conny roof is flashed...
whats to stop water soaking into the bricks, travelling down past the lead flashing and being drawn out into the plaster in the conny?

should really have insulated the chimney breast or at least use a cement based backing coat..

bit of water seal on the chimney itself above roofline wouldnt go amiss either..

f'cking notorius for problems... even when you think youve cracked it they still chuck up problems...

you answered your own question there mate, should of use a dri-coat or limelight ( not bonding) and maybe even used an anti sulphate prior to application

right about the salt neutraliser mate... dricoat supposed to contain it, but it aint all that.... if its bad bad.... it doesnt hold it back that well...

i did put waterseal on the chimney when i was on the roof, there was only probably a 6 inch by 12 inch patch of bonding, i mentioned sticking an air brick in the chimney breast to vent it but im a bit worried about a gas fire downstairs that uses this chimney breast (not sure if the vent would be on a live flu), this side of getting the fire taken out and put a smoke bomb in there to see if it comes thru the vent, but by then i would have already put the air brick in.

Status
Not open for further replies.