Norwich based trainee/apprentice plasterer seeking work

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilmofie

My partner is 31 and currently employed as a chef although he is desperate to seek a career as a plasterer. He is a complete novice but is hard working and meticulous with an eye for detail and the patience of a saint. Please contact me if you can help, even if it's to give some advice or point him in the right direction :RpS_thumbup:

With respect, the right direction is to keep on cooking, there's no room for 31 year old trainee plasterers in the current climate I'm afraid :RpS_thumbup:

At least he has a job, I have never known so many people i know out of work for so long,joiners, plumbers, plasterers,painters etc tough times:RpS_crying:

Thank you bubbles... is it really that bad at the moment?

It is for a lot of the lads, yes. Apart from the massive downturn in available work due to the recession there is still a huge number of Eastern European citizens in the UK who are willing to work cheap, thus making it a BAD IDEA to even think about entering the construction industry at the moment. On the other hand we all need to eat, so keep on cooking is my advice :RpS_thumbup:
And PLEASE don't be sucked into going on a course cos he will NOT leave it well enough equipped to make the living most course-providers would have you believe :RpS_thumbup:

A little disheartening but very a valid point has been made about foreign workers. He is still keen though :/ Back to the drawing board maybe.... I can see how miserable cheffing is making him and with a newborn I know he want's to provide more for our son than what minimum wage can. We're both keeping an open mind regarding our career options though. Perhaps if he ever managed to gain an apprenticeship then work may of picked up by the time he was qualified? I'm guessing that's a big if though...

its not ever going to pick up its been like this for 3 years or so, i can forsee it for at least another 3 year.

A little disheartening but very a valid point has been made about foreign workers. He is still keen though :/ Back to the drawing board maybe.... I can see how miserable cheffing is making him and with a newborn I know he want's to provide more for our son than what minimum wage can. We're both keeping an open mind regarding our career options though. Perhaps if he ever managed to gain an apprenticeship then work may of picked up by the time he was qualified? I'm guessing that's a big if though...

Take the hint?......it takes 5 or so years before you're earning decent money till then he'd be on 30-40 a day jesus people must be desperate if they want to get into construction in a recession

Was on another forum today and reading between the lines it seems that lots of eastern european workers who have been based in Spain for years are now in the U.K.

I don't really understand why some comments seem a little catty when all I ah e do e is ask for advice. But thank you all the same for your contributions... I have found all I need from here now as the general thought is not to bother :/

I don't really understand why some comments seem a little catty when all I ah e do e is ask for advice. But thank you all the same for your contributions... I have found all I need from here now as the general thought is not to bother :/

Possibly because most people who come on here asking for similar advice to you don't seem to take it on board. You seem to be an exception to that rule..............good luck with the 'new career hunting' anyhow, hope things work out well for you and your family :RpS_thumbup:

sorry about some of the answers on here some people tend to take thier frustrations of present climate on others.i knew a a fella years ago left the raf at 45 an trained to be a plasterer giving him a good wage till 65.but at moment time is not right.advise stay in present job for moment.you say he is unhappy at moment in cheffing?better unhappy in work than out.he doesnt have much choice really other than wait.good luck

other option is stay in the chef business and do a course part time, its not ideal but it will give him the knowlage to be ready to get hands on experiance. could also do some small odd jobs, patching and improving etc to earn a bit extra.

im a level 3 student and its pretty hard to find someone to be able to take you on and have regular work, most of them dont have regualr work themselves atm

Scg Well said it's a minefield out there at the mo, if you can get in with a few lads and between them try and keep yourself going like the plasterers are doing, stick at it it cant get any worse

other option is stay in the chef business and do a course part time, its not ideal but it will give him the knowlage to be ready to get hands on experiance. could also do some small odd jobs, patching and improving etc to earn a bit extra.

im a level 3 student and its pretty hard to find someone to be able to take you on and have regular work, most of them dont have regualr work themselves atm

I'd second that.

im in norwich, if you give me your number and you partner can work for free a day here and there and i can get him plastering ( time are hard at the moment and course cost abit and the best way to start is on site,

Status
Not open for further replies.