Noggins or not

Members online

Server

Currently I am putting up some plasterboard on a ceiling with the beams 600mm apart. I am using 12mm plasterboard.

Do I need any noggins between the beams to fasten the plasterboard on to or is it sufficient to just fasten it on to the beams (600mm apart)?

There is another thread where people have had problems with 600 joists so by that would defo nog it out

It's all the motorbikes in lofts that cause sagging.. @imago told us

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Yeah don't worry about water tanks suitcases and any other Crap your Mrs can get up there it's all about the motorbike in the loft:Dstill amuses me that someone replied how do you get a motorbike in the loft :lol:

Lol the fact is I actually have a tonne of car parts in my loft... soooo

It's all the motorbikes in lofts that cause sagging.. @imago told us

In an attempt to get the hard of thinking to understand the weight involved in joist loading, I used the example of an everyday object that weighs approximately 250 kgs. Which is the additional weight added when you overboard a ceiling in an average sized bedroom.

It still amuses me that so many people think it's OK to overboard a ceiling, but putting something as heavy as a motorbike in the loft would be ridiculous. :LOL:

In an attempt to get the hard of thinking to understand the weight involved in joist loading, I used the example of an everyday object that weighs approximately 250 kgs. Which is the additional weight added when you overboard a ceiling in an average sized bedroom.

It still amuses me that so many people think it's OK to overboard a ceiling, but putting something as heavy as a motorbike in the loft would be ridiculous. :LOL:

When you put boards up aren't you distributing the load when boarding though where as a bike is a dead weight in one place?

Also aren't noggins more for stopping he joists from twisting than an extra fixing point for a board?

When you put boards up aren't you distributing the load when boarding though where as a bike is a dead weight in one place?

Also aren't noggins more for stopping he joists from twisting than an extra fixing point for a board?

It's all in the other thread, but across joists the load is all on each end where they're supported. So it doesn't matter where the load is, the sag will be in the centre of the joist.

Noggins are usually to support board or insulation joints. They can be used to stop racking or twisting but since they brought in graded timber in the '80s and manufactured joists in the '90s.

So before you put the motorbike up there put some chipboard down first to even it all out ? or buy a trike as it had a wider foot print :rock:

The basic rule of ceiling boardwork

9.5mm boards= no no -------------600mm center's

12 mm boards= noggins needed-----600mm center's

15mm boards =no noggins required----600mm center's

15mm boards are usually 8x3's so they are easier to use than the big 8x4 12mm

The basic rule of ceiling boardwork

9.5mm boards= no no -------------600mm center's

12 mm boards= noggins needed-----600mm center's

15mm boards =no noggins required----600mm center's

15mm boards are usually 8x3's so they are easier to use than the big 8x4 12mm
Never heard of that rule. Must be a new one!

They will sag like fook if insulation is rested on it. Counter batten it with 2x1 at 400's.
Superior job and quicker than cutting & fixing noggins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk