Nightmare!

Status
Not open for further replies.

southside

What a mare of a job over the last couple of days ! skimming a livingroom on traditional,had to pva the walls 4 f**k**g times before i could start spreading as the suction was unbelivable and still the gear was going of on me fast as f**k ,still caught it though in the end .
For all the years i have been plastering got to say these were the worst days of them .

Sometimes its better to stabilize the walls first with a water based stabilizer and use a bonding agent , multiple coats of pva can cause bonding problems .

I gather your talking about the bond it gear mate? ,i dont like the idea of putting stuff on and waiting 24hrs to hit it ,working for myself i dont see it as being cost effective ,but if i have a job like that again its something that i will have to take into consideration .
Unfortunately you dont see these problems when you go out estimating only when your on the job.

The wickes stuff you can skim in 2hrs its the only one that you can, as for the stabilizer it will do better job of priming your walls than pva which at that stage should be left 24hrs ,stabilizer will do it in 2hrs its all about using the right products at the right time i guess ;) sure pva has its place but were lime work is concured (guessing that was the case) stabilizer is better

church said:
The wickes stuff you can skim in 2hrs its the only one that you can, as for the stabilizer it will do better job of priming your walls than pva which at that stage should be left 24hrs ,stabilizer will do it in 2hrs its all about using the right products at the right time i guess ;) sure pva has its place but were lime work is concured (guessing that was the case) stabilizer is better
I used that wickes stuff the other day,works fine and also quarter the price of thistle bond it

Cheers mate going into Edinburgh today i will pick some up ,keep it in the van in case i need it ,thanks for your info ;)

No problem ;) also its worth tracking down some "artex stabilex" £15 for 5 ltrs covers around 40sq m most decent decorating shops will have it.

berbie38 said:
church said:

It may be quarter the price but you also get 3/4 less than bondit so in the end it works out the same price.
I used that wickes stuff the other day,works fine and also quarter the price of thistle bond it

Status
Not open for further replies.