newbie here, banter welcome lol.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakeyboy

Evening guys.

ill type this knowing ill get banter spam.

Im looking to start out as a plaster, i have a full time job, sat in an office on a computer but its not for me, used to work insulating walls and lofts, much prefer the hands on work.

My dad used to be a plasterer but i can no longer ask him for advice!

im 25 so got time to practice and this is where im looking for helkp.
due to my full time job im only able to practice weekend so im lookin for someone to give me a helping hand, where can i practice!!

i have got little knowledge of plastering. what wall is best to practice on?
the only way i have ever seen plaster is PVA sealent, wack the plaster on then wet seal.
thats all.

can some one give me a little insight on where and how to start basic plastering? i have searched about for people who i can watch but non of em work weekends.

so please let me know if you can as i refuse to pay £400 for some course to show me the slowest way in the world to do it.

cheers

Well if your not willing to commit, how can you expect any one else to, maybe best if you stick to the desk job, not much out there at the min, welcome by the way

im commiting my weekends, my only free time, i'm not expecting to learn straight away, i know its gonna take time. just want to know the best place to start, im down oxford way, theres quite a bit of work down here and i've also been promised a few days a week with some on a long contract once ive got the basics figured so thats why im tryin to learn but he works in the week so cant help much.
thanks for the welcome

welcome lakey boy time is on your side as you are only 25.what happened to asking your dad?strange that one seen as he's a plasterer!it's not as he was detective maybe you are lol good luck and welcome lacky !

welcome lakey boy time is on your side as you are only 25.what happened to asking your dad?strange that one seen as he's a plasterer!it's not as he was detective maybe you are lol good luck and welcome lacky !

Maybe cos he i dead. well that's how i read it, maybe wrong , i hope so :-0

if you want to be a plasterer of any calibre i would suggest you do a few weekends say 6 months and if you like it pack in your job and try to get a job as a labourer on a plastering gang this way you can earn money as you learn the trade in a couple of years you may be able to leave the gang and start out on your own, depending on your ability of course - not everyone actually picks it up and end up jacking or stay on as long term labourers

lakeyboy didn't realize your dad might be dead sorry if I offended you ! just didn't think that was the case.anyway am sure he will proud of you following in his footsteps .goodluck and get on with it don't prance around get stuck in!

How did you get on!?

Hey, how did you get on? Some people will be struggling out there and may well feel awkward about further competition and basically, being out of work and skint - perhaps even on the breadline, so you can understand their frustration - however, if you are not happy in your job, it doesn't mean that you should stay in it because somebody else it upset.
Was interested to know how you got on!?
I was shown how to plaster once! I then had a crack at it myself, and progressively got better with each room - one tip...do two coats and start upstairs! Let's just say I've got some plastering to redo!

A friend of mine has done a plastering course and they have taught him the basics and that's it, I have let him do a little work in some of the clients houses I do and at first glance his work looks ok and it has a nice polish to it but when it dries out you can see he hasn't pushed anywhere near as hard on the plaster to actually achieve a decent finish. I'm pleased I only let him do a couple of small walls. He reckons he has done his living room, I would hate to see what it looks like on the night time with the lights on :)

Status
Not open for further replies.