Newbie - do I need to prime MR board?

TrueNorth

Hi all,
enthusiastic DIYer here having a go at plastering (ceiling) for first time. Goggles at the ready.
I know I've got some of this wrong already, advise would be appreciated.

Have replaced old ceiling of slightly damp cellar with MR board, all taped and filled. Approx 18m sq. I know I don't need to but want to plaster it. If it's rough, it's ok it's out of sight.

A chap at work has given me a few bags of Thistle Board Finish
- do I need to prime the board?
- blue grit ok?

Cheers,
TN

Hi all,
enthusiastic DIYer here having a go at plastering (ceiling) for first time. Goggles at the ready.
I know I've got some of this wrong already, advise would be appreciated.

Have replaced old ceiling of slightly damp cellar with MR board, all taped and filled. Approx 18m sq. I know I don't need to but want to plaster it. If it's rough, it's ok it's out of sight.

A chap at work has given me a few bags of Thistle Board Finish
- do I need to prime the board?
- blue grit ok?

Cheers,
TN
Honestly mate if your not experienced tape and fill will give you the best finish, trying to plaster that as a beginner will end in a mess. Rub down what’s been filled then give it a coat of paint and fill any holes then paint again

You can skim straight onto these boards but If you want your skim to last,MR boards need to be gritted for finish to key to them properly,even says so on the bags although BG will try to get you to buy their expensive Bond-It....blue grit is fine.
Although never understood why people skim MR boards because you take away the whole point of them being moisture resistant.

Appreciate the comments, perhaps I should just paint and go to the pub. Thanks again.
giphy (29).gif