New work van but....

Members online

hail hail

Private Member
Been wanting a new van for awhile now and been looking at the nissan primastars for last 8 weeks. Im always one for spending just about 1750 or 2.5k on a van and drive them into the ground or shift for half what i paid for it when i ant something else. Been looking at this since it came up on done deal. https://www.donedeal.ie/commercials-for-sale/2011-nissan-primstar-doe-and-tax-5500/18912017

Was actually going to buy at 4.5k untill i did i check on it. Came back financed owed in he UK, cat D and the last few owners havent kept it long. Ususally a few months and the last owner was 23 days. Same owner told me its a great wee van, used for light work and now hes lost his job, he just wants rid of it. Don abit more of a search into the financed owed and its came back its just an error however with the change of owners so often and the catD, i think ill give it a miss. Bit disappointed because it looks clean enough.

Attachments

• Screenshot (249)l.png
    Screenshot (249)l.png
    226.8 KB · Views: 260
  • Screenshot (251)ii.png
    Screenshot (251)ii.png
    169.7 KB · Views: 250
  • Screenshot (252)jk.png
    Screenshot (252)jk.png
    179.1 KB · Views: 269
  • Screenshot (253)kl.png
    Screenshot (253)kl.png
    161.2 KB · Views: 262
  • Screenshot (254)ji.png
    Screenshot (254)ji.png
    146.7 KB · Views: 237
I wouldn't let Cat D put you off, it's either stolen recovered, or light damage but costly. Usually if it's damage they'll be repaired with parts from a breaker's yard.

Just have a good look round it and use the history to get the price down. If you get it cheap it's a win, if he won't drop the price you can walk and nothing lost.

I spend months looking for cars....just keep looking and search for everything that can go wrong....

I always buy low mileage and I mean really low miles.

When I was looking for my coupe most on the market were 80k miles which to me was high but then I found one with 39k and was a bit more money but I figured I could put 40k on it and still have my money back.

The price is increasing now so when I do sell it I will make money on it...

You can also check previously mots in the UK which may be helpful

I spend months looking for cars....just keep looking and search for everything that can go wrong....

I always buy low mileage and I mean really low miles.

When I was looking for my coupe most on the market were 80k miles which to me was high but then I found one with 39k and was a bit more money but I figured I could put 40k on it and still have my money back.

The price is increasing now so when I do sell it I will make money on it...

You can also check previously mots in the UK which may be helpful

The search i did doesnt do the uk mots but think can get it done with another site. only found this out after i did the one i used. 35euro it cost but money well spent IMO. Its difficult to get a decent van here where i am and if one pops up, it could be an 8 hour round trip for it or a 2-3 hours drive, look at it and find something wrong and all that journey for nowt :( Was even thinking of going to the UK for one now instead. TBH, i thought there would have been more for sale on the likes of auto trader or gumtree.

The search i did doesnt do the uk mots but think can get it done with another site. only found this out after i did the one i used. 35euro it cost but money well spent IMO. Its difficult to get a decent van here where i am and if one pops up, it could be an 8 hour round trip for it or a 2-3 hours drive, look at it and find something wrong and all that journey for nowt :( Was even thinking of going to the UK for one now instead. TBH, i thought there would have been more for sale on the likes of auto trader or gumtree.
My brother in law buys all his vehicles in the UK as they are cheaper and better

I wouldn’t touch it if there is money outstanding on it. Cat d is nothing most cars sold these days are car c from auction by insurance companies.

I wouldn’t touch it if there is money outstanding on it. Cat d is nothing most cars sold these days are car c from auction by insurance companies.

Did more of a search into it and came back the finance was paid and this was just a computer error. The fact that its changed hands so many times in just a few years and no one has kept it longer than 7 months, the last owner 23 days has risen suspicion. Im now looking at this one and might take spin up and have a look. Its smaller than what i need but sure, if it does me for a year ill be happy enough. https://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/2008-vauxhall-vivaro-2.0-cdti-full-psv-/1302005679

GEtting conflicting opinions about these vans. I know a fella had one for 4 years and only needed the usual small things changed but reading online and from others, the gear boxes can give trouble and injectors etc... Doesnt @Vincey have one of these vans? If so, whats yours been like.

Any tips on where to buy them or is it just a case of traweling gumtree and autotrader to see whats there.
Have a look access commercials in Essex, they have a pretty big stock of ex fleet vehicles, if you vat registered as well you won't have to pay that either. Mate bought a sprinter from them a few years back he's chuffed to bits

Did more of a search into it and came back the finance was paid and this was just a computer error. The fact that its changed hands so many times in just a few years and no one has kept it longer than 7 months, the last owner 23 days has risen suspicion. Im now looking at this one and might take spin up and have a look. Its smaller than what i need but sure, if it does me for a year ill be happy enough. https://www.gumtree.com/p/vans/2008-vauxhall-vivaro-2.0-cdti-full-psv-/1302005679

GEtting conflicting opinions about these vans. I know a fella had one for 4 years and only needed the usual small things changed but reading online and from others, the gear boxes can give trouble and injectors etc... Doesnt @Vincey have one of these vans? If so, whats yours been like.
I got vivaro spotive mate 17,000 miles now just had mot tbh my air con isn’t working besides that not due second service till 24,000 miles so all good . I do keep it super clean tbf when it’s paid I probably keep it till retirement as hardly do any miles

I've got a vivaro mate and had one previously.Its on an 08 so not the newest but does the job.I bought mine on 78,000 and now just reaching 98,000 and other than an injector it's been ok.I would pay abit more and try for one with less miles if you can .

I've got a vivaro mate and had one previously.Its on an 08 so not the newest but does the job.I bought mine on 78,000 and now just reaching 98,000 and other than an injector it's been ok.I would pay abit more and try for one with less miles if you can .

Did the injector get stuck? Have heard if it gets stuck, its a b*****d to get out. There was an error when designing it that lets water in and sits on top of the injectors. a simple bead of silicone can stop the water and is supposed to help with them not getting stuck when they go. Thats what ive been reading and heard anyway.

I got vivaro spotive mate 17,000 miles now just had mot tbh my air con isn’t working besides that not due second service till 24,000 miles so all good . I do keep it super clean tbf when it’s paid I probably keep it till retirement as hardly do any miles

Sound. didnt think yours was so new. Thought it was an older model.

Sound. didnt think yours was so new. Thought it was an older model.

I bought the last of the old shape new in 2014 when they were doing the model run out with air con, blue toothe etc. I paid £11k + VAT and it's just turned 44,000 miles now. Since I bought it it's had three services and two MOTs. Stuff that's been done to it, two front tyres, (rears due for replacement soon) and a pair of wiper blades.

At the time the equivalent Transit was £7k more, and the VW was £12k more. I just couldn't see what benefit I'd get from either for the extra, and it turns out that with the sh1te locks I'd have had to spend even more on the Transit to stop some scrote nicking it.

I can only speak from personal experience, but it's been spot on. As @Vincey said, I reckon this will see me to retirement with the amount of miles I do. (y)

As with anything mass produced, you take ten identical vans, 8 will be OK, one will be brilliant and one will be utter garbage.

you will get conflicting opinions on all vans cos just the same as any tradesmen you get good ones and b ad ones. After about 07 the gearboxes on the primastar, traffic and vivaro got better because a team of six engineers from nissan uk went over to France and sorted out there gearbox production processes. This happened because nissa n were looking big style on warranty claims against gear boxes across all there models where Renault were supplying them.

Yeah had one go on the one I've got now beginning of year and it was stuck solid.mechanic got a 7tonne pully on it in the end.Its been ok otherwise,just completed a job in South of France it was sound and good on fuel aswell.

Yea a lot of owners raises suspicion to! I heard the old vivaro gear boxes give up at the 90k mark and injectors get stuck from water getting inside them? If they been serviced well shouldn’t be a problem? Iv got the newer vivaro had a couple of recalls with bits.