new van... transit???

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's filthy and old and makes funny noises when you turn right slowly but it's a toyota

Its the rust thing casper I think its pathetic after all these years they havent addressed the problem ....... which it is ... a big RUST problem !

Spunky, i'd use 18mm ply for the bed for strength. There should be plenty of places to fix to without risking going through the side of the van. First thing to do would be to put a decent ply floor in to work off.

RMK, that pic of the blue van is one I found on google. In my own van at the top of the thread, I can get a dozen 8x4 sheets on top of the box before I can't shut the rear doors.

Its the rust thing casper I think its pathetic after all these years they havent addressed the problem ....... which it is ... a big RUST problem !

mine will be 2 years old in september. I haven't seen any rust yet but i do wax it regularly and it is washed religiously every week. So we'll see!!

hope yours is cool Casper .......

Why havent they sorted out the problem though ... Its almost as if their laughing about it!

rich commercial line vehicles are bad for rust in general because they dont usually go to town on the paintwork and because the shape and size they harbour more wet than a car.

if you think tranny's are bad u shud see the mercs, they have the worst condition of corrosion of any vehicle ever, its like thee plague with em

beleive me mate merc are way beyond ford in the rust stakes, I am jealous of the ford rust pal, merc seriously need a rethink because the vito's sprinters are shocking

hope yours is cool Casper .......

Why havent they sorted out the problem though ... Its almost as if their laughing about it!

FFS Rich what's your problem with transit.....i've had my transit years & it's hardly got any rust at all!
Bit of gaffer tape here & there seals it up :RpS_thumbup:

photo-1221.jpg

its got wing mirrors though i dnt see many other trannys with both thier wing mirrors nowadays, ive had mine knocked off a few times but i cnt stand not haveing one so bought a load of new ones in the van ready to go on just in case the other pricks on the road decide to forget how to drive

I had a VW, T5, Turbo bearing seized,shattered and got sucked up through the turbo.It was never the same after.I think what ever you have will serve you well, its just up to the individual.I prefered the cab in my T5, and back in the Tranny,theres you answer, a cut and shunt Transit and T5.

Transit m8, i've got an 06 have cained it and never let me down. Don't know if i'd bother with the plasterboard storage unless your doing alot of drylining...I just load my boards in on the left hand side 8 x 4s fit perfectly just prop them up with some finish.

Can you send me some pic of what you have done with the back... Racking etc, I've just bought a SWB transit and could do with the ideas cheers

05 mwb transit for me, but think the rust problem is a joke. Still will go for a transit again however...

Sister has a t5 camper, nice van but very small in the back. Not sure how you would cope if it came to putting cement mixer and few bags of sand.

I keep threatening to buy a different van than a transit, so I set off to the vw and merc garage with good intentions but I have to go past the ford garage, and mr ford lures me in with the promise of rusting after only 3 years and so I always fall for his charm in the end.

It came down to simple economics for me. I had a SWB Iveco, which was a cracking van but thirsty and when it got to 14 years old became uneconomical to repair for the MOT. I then bought a six year old SWB med roof Transit, which dissolved around me. Having got sick of repairing old vans I looked around for the best deal/value for money on a new or nearly new van.

VW are too dear for what the are IMHO, the extra money gains nothing I want or need from a van. Transits are again over priced, the new ones are as ugly as sin, and I don't want to be sorting out rust in a couple of years. That left the Renault/Vivaro/Primastar, galvanised bodywork so no rust issues, and the chocolate gearbox and engine issues were sorted a couple of years back. Reviews on the new ones are good, so that's where I focused my attention.

I bought one a fortnight ago and I'm pleased with it and the deal I got. They dropped £7k of the list price and threw in an electric pack with air con. It's got all the usual toys like blue tooth for the phone iPod connection, electric this, heated that and so on. It's giving me 40 to the gallon on mixed driving and I can carry everything I need/want. What's not to like?

I'm making my own racking tailored to what I need.

DSC_0415 (800x450).jpg

I'll be doing a bit on my van this weekend, I'll put some pics up as I progress.
Looks great yours Wez :RpS_thumbup: am still unsure what van I'l lease next year? Want to concentrate on beefing up my landy :RpS_wink: that's why I want to lease as not tied to owning two vehicles (all running costs owning two etc)
I have some big plans for my landy and will do the same and sort some pics etc :RpS_biggrin:

i had a whole bale of 8 by 4 in the back of a transit one day the drawbar was tiping the ground another day i had a full bale off 8 foot planks thats 100 hundred planks the are a work horse u can do anythink to them and the still keep going

Status
Not open for further replies.