New trowel

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilPlaster

Private Member
The time has come for me to think about starting to train in another new trowel (back up).
The one im using isn't stainless so really I'm after any recommendations on stainless trowels.
I'm thinking of Marshaltown B&q £30? ???

Ragini (not sure of spelling) make nice trowels. Been using a 10inch for the last oooh 4 years. Got a nice curve to it now, flexes nice, handle is comfy. Only thing is it's a solid plastic handle so feels a bit cheap but it's light as f**k and the amount of pressure I put on it still hasnt snapped the f**k*r yet. ;D

PhilPlaster said:
Had one of those yrs ago mate and to be honest hated the plastic handle. Ended up usin it for puttin drywall on!

Or scraping floors ;) Ive been using a refina for the last 6 years stainless steel really good trowel.

hi phil dont know how you feel about this but ive just bought off ebay mt 14x4 golden stainless trowel an its nice but ive been skimming with narrow blades for yer i prefer them very good trowels for skimming

I used the Ragni trowels for years and they were a very nice bit of stainless steel but unfortunately they cut down on the amount of rivets, if you look closely you will see that there isn't a rivet in the middle of the trowels anymore which makes them loose their shape more quickly. They have changed the handles just lately although I like the old type anyway and still use one of their steel trowels for my S&C work. For skimming I use an 11 1/2in Stainless Marshalltown and an 11in carbon steel Marshalltown.

I use the tyzack trowels they are nice and this and I don't think there as rigid as mt they flex abit more .I also just bought a refina trowel nice aswell

belmore tools were doing 13x5 golden permashape wooden handled trowels for 25 quid ..........not sure if the offers still on

essexandy said:
I used the Ragni trowels for years and they were a very nice bit of stainless steel but unfortunately they cut down on the amount of rivets, if you look closely you will see that there isn't a rivet in the middle of the trowels anymore which makes them loose their shape more quickly. They have changed the handles just lately although I like the old type anyway and still use one of their steel trowels for my S&C work. For skimming I use an 11 1/2in Stainless Marshalltown and an 11in carbon steel Marshalltown.
im with you there andy, i was the same, i prefered the old black plastic, the new ones are just knocked onto a spike..
the blades seem loose too... tap em and it rattles ffs.. i think they tried to do a cheap copy of a marshaltown and i reckon they shot themselves in the foot..

Must admit I'm not fussed on the MT Gold range, find them inflexable. I've got a Tyzack stainless premier 14" and it's been an excellent trowell from new.

i got a rack full of trowels in the back of my van all marshalltown 3 skimming trowels and 3 rendering trowels a 1 sort of crappy one i use when scraping down and another crappy one just for scraping scaffold boards off.....if im skimming whatever trowel i strat with i can gaurentee i'll end up using a 13" trowel that ive had for years and normally just use a 13" for rendering

there good trowels the golden ones for render as they dont flex too much but agree that they wouldnt be as good for skimming , carbon is better for skimming imo

each to their own, i prefer them as they seem to flex more but that may be because it was a 13x5 trowel so slightly wider but to be honest ive had this trowel so long thats it really well worn in and razor sharp and i keep it spotless , none of that crap that bulids up on them underneath

essexandy said:
andy do you flatten your first coat with the smallish trowels aswell or just rough on with em

andy do you flatten your first coat with the smallish trowels aswell or just rough on with em
[/quote]

I very rarely flatten the first coat, but then I don't "rough" on, I try to put on as neat and tidy as possible only leaving shallow regular lines. I have trowels of 11, 11 1/2, 12, 13, 14 and 20 inches but almost always stick to the 11in and 11 1/2in from start to finish. Just a personal thing, I just get on better with smaller trowels especially when applying S&C.

i've got the 14 inch golden marshall town. its lovely to lay on with and use it for the first trowel but it just never seems to wear in anymore so always use my refina for the second and third and polish. and i've got a new refina i'm breaking in because the top rivet has gone on my first after the labourer thought it would be a good idea to drop it.

madmonk said:
hi phil dont know how you feel about this but ive just bought off ebay mt 14x4 golden stainless trowel an its nice but ive been skimming with narrow blades for yer i prefer them very good trowels for skimming
Dont like narrow trowels mate. I prefer the flex. I feel they curve better as well. :)

Right lads thats loads of info er and now i haven't got a clue which direction to go.
Which is better then........Carbon or stainless?
Sick of sanding off rust from my trowel if its left in the van after a cold night or not dried off enough after use. :- ???

Yeah i prefer the wooden handles much better than these new rubber crap MT are doing now they wear down too quick and they make your hand sweat.

PhilPlaster said:
Right lads thats loads of info er and now i haven't got a clue which direction to go.
Which is better then........Carbon or stainless?
Sick of sanding off rust from my trowel if its left in the van after a cold night or not dried off enough after use. :- ???

I personally think you need both carbon steel and stainless. I find the stainless gets over it better when there's a fair bit of suction but you can't beat the carbon when there's less suction.

i use both carbon and stainless premier tyzacks they both feel kind of different but i cant pick a favorite

I am having trouble with trowel handles, my hands are quite small, most of the trowels i have bought on the net recently are to big for me to hold properly :(

the main reason i stick with the permashape trowels is i like the slight curve down the blade ......i'd love to use a carbon but every trowel i use goes out of shape, my last trowel was a m/town 14x4 s/steel and was bent after 2 weeks of s/cement

richardbrown said:
I am having trouble with trowel handles, my hands are quite small, most of the trowels i have bought on the net recently are to big for me to hold properly :(

used to having small things in your hand then Rich? ;D ;D

I prefer to try before I buy. If it ain't comfy as soon as I pick it up then there's no way I can work with it all day.

richardbrown said:

What were they plastic handles ? mts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.