New tools

Smudger1

I do a bit of tiling nothing fancy and use a small push through electric wet cutter.
But job on now the tiles are bigger and thicker for the walls than I usually stick, so I got this today after reading up it sounds good for the money ?
20180822_191631.jpg
20180822_191657.jpg

Virtex 800w bridge cutter from toolsatation for 175 inc.
Should cut straiter than small one I've got.

Also once mixed up adhesive I stick it to wall with bucket trowel then spread it out with my notched tiling trowel. Is there a better way ?

ChrispyUK

I do a bit of tiling nothing fancy and use a small push through electric wet cutter.
But job on now the tiles are bigger and thicker for the walls than I usually stick, so I got this today after reading up it sounds good for the money ?
View attachment 25526 View attachment 25527
Virtex 800w bridge cutter from toolsatation for 175 inc.
Should cut straiter than small one I've got.

Also once mixed up adhesive I stick it to wall with bucket trowel then spread it out with my notched tiling trowel. Is there a better way ?
I think apart from actually using a hawk and trowel, prob not mate. Often in same predicament, but just end up using tiling trowel to load the wall and make sure I've got a full notch in one direction. On the last few large format porcelain jobs I've done, I have used the new plastic leveling clips and wedges. Can recommend those if you haven't already used them.

Let us know how the bridge performs :)

Smudger1

I think apart from actually using a hawk and trowel, prob not mate. Often in same predicament, but just end up using tiling trowel to load the wall and make sure I've got a full notch in one direction. On the last few large format porcelain jobs I've done, I have used the new plastic leveling clips and wedges. Can recommend those if you haven't already used them.

Let us know how the bridge performs :)
Will do. I've only used the clips n wedges with floor tiles ,just ordinary spacers on walls.

P_20180821_113145.jpg

Danny

Administrator
I have never done any tiling :D :D Dont know why I have not but one day I will know what it is like to lay a tile :D

ChrispyUK

I have never done any tiling :D:D Dont know why I have not but one day I will know what it is like to lay a tile :D
All in the prep really Danny. If the wall/floor is as flat and true as possible, then you're 75% of the way there...pretty much.

When you think about it, skim/walls are either painted, papered or tiled and a good spread should have a reasonable understanding on how a room needs to be prepared for tiling.

Last edited:

Danny

Administrator
All in the prep really Danny. If the wall/floor is as flat and true as possible, then you're 75% of the way there...pretty much.

When you think about it, skim/walls are either painted, papered or tiled and a good spread should have a reasonable understanding on how a room needs to be prepared for tiling.
Oh yes I am sure it is straight forward enough :D Cant imagine it being rocket science :D

Use a hawk n normal trowel spread whole area then run notch through

Tilers would frown upon that probably but I’m a spread so don’t care lol

If you try butter wall with notch it always ends up all over the trowel

Smudger1

There is the smooth side on the tile trowel so could butter wall with it but only if I had a crappy hawk spare, I wouldn't feel right dirtying my good plastering hawks with tile muck ! :chica: but the bucket trowel then tile one works ok for me. :coffe:

Glad to report the bridge cutter worked great, well chuffed with it so far :rock:
Couple of top cut pics I did today with it.

P_20180823_150454.jpg
P_20180823_150514.jpg

Danny

Administrator
There is the smooth side on the tile trowel so could butter wall with it but only if I had a crappy hawk spare, I wouldn't feel right dirtying my good plastering hawks with tile muck ! :chica: but the bucket trowel then tile one works ok for me. :coffe:

Glad to report the bridge cutter worked great, well chuffed with it so far :rock:

View attachment 25568 View attachment 25569
looks great to me

ChrispyUK

View attachment 25568 View attachment 25569
Looks good mate. I always try and lay large format straight knecked like youve done. Running bond is a bit dated IMO.